Gibbs decision coming 7/10

PsychedClone

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
Just a guess but b/c he is higher rated than either of those players, maybe he fits infront of those guys. I know ratings don't mean much but I find it funny that you mention 2 walk ons and 3 lower ranked recruits as a problem for him to fit in to our future plans.

Excellent point! He is a top 100 player in his class. How many of those does ISU typically get every year?

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Just a guess but b/c he is higher rated than either of those players, maybe he fits infront of those guys. I know ratings don't mean much but I find it funny that you mention 2 walk ons and 3 lower ranked recruits as a problem for him to fit in to our future plans.

Great point, plus I'd like to remind everyone that ISU's best team ever (32-5) featured three guards (Tinsley, Horton and Nurse), a 6'4" forward (Johnson) and a 6'7" all-american.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Great point, plus I'd like to remind everyone that ISU's best team ever (32-5) featured three guards (Tinsley, Horton and Nurse), a 6'4" forward (Johnson) and a 6'7" all-american.

To further that point, by the time that Gibbs is enrolling at ISU (and he will be), why should we not think that he would be a legitimate 6-6, 6-7 which by Rivals is the average height of a legitimate small forward. Couple that height, with point guard ball handling skills, against players not with the agility and quickness of a point guard and you have a tradition line up with a huge mis-match problem at small forward.

If Grant cannot see how he could benefit from coming to a system that could utilize his personal attributes to make both the team better but, show off his skills at the highest level, with a core of talent around him, it would be an incredible difficult lineup to deal with for any team in the nation.

Garrett - PG Buckley
Gibbs - SG - Eikmeyer
W. Johnson - SF Staiger reserve
Brackins - PF C. Johnson
Thompson - C - Vette Reserve

Wow, depth - something ISU has been lacking in a while!!!! No different then in football or basketball -Depth: It don't matter how good your first five are, because fouls, sickness, injuries, stamina something will bring in those reserves and without quality depth, your chances of winning are greatly reduced!

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Sure, Spokane has its off season diversions; but ISU's football games could make a difference too. There is no place like Iowa in September and October. The ISU FB team will be fun to watch in the next few years.

mpc4isu7

Jun 16, 2007
Sure, Spokane has its off season diversions; but ISU's football games could make a difference too. There is no place like Iowa in September and October. The ISU FB team will be fun to watch in the next few years.

Im not sure that a football team that was lucky to win 4 games last year is a great recruiting tool for 4-star basketball players.

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
Im not sure that a football team that was lucky to win 4 games last year is a great recruiting tool for 4-star basketball players.

Ahhhh......but there is such a change in attitude, and energy around that program now, that it excites even a hardened old cynic like me.

I have no idea how much you can win at Iowa State, the north is improving, the south is still strong. Iowa looks to be back on track, at least with who they don't play. So I think that Gene is walking into a tougher situation than he realized when he took the job.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
There is no place like Iowa in September and October.

Yeah, you gotta love those rainy days, drastic temperature changes, and last but not least...the frost in October. :baffled5wh:

Having division 1 football matters to people more than some might think. I'm with you on the fact that helps recruiting bball players. Hell, it attracts average students to schools.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Well a verbal commitment means something or else people wouldn't care about it. He's a solid verbal now, and there are tons of articles written with quotes about it. He's going to the Zags.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
A "verbal" commitment means absolutely nothing...so what does a "soft verbal" commitment mean?

As Bryce said, its a solid verbal now. And if verbals mean nothing then why should we get excited about our 2008 class because essentially we don't have one until signing day.