Gift Cards

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Anyone know the reason behind HyVee and Casey's not allowing you to purchase gift cards with credit cards anymore?

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I always figured it was something to do with shady people being able to dispute/deny charges on gift cards and getting "free" money. No idea if that's actually true

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
My guess is all the credit cards that give 2% etc, back to the cardholder. That 2% comes from the merchant and if they don't charge a fee it wouldn't make much sense to sell a $100 gift card for $98 + the cost of the transaction

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
It's something that recently changed as we have always purchased gift cards with credit cards. Specifically my wife purchases a lot of gift cards for work events/promotions with her work cc.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It's something that recently changed as we have always purchased gift cards with credit cards. Specifically my wife purchases a lot of gift cards for work events/promotions with her work cc.
I Have not been able to buy a Casey’s gift card with a credit card for several years at my local store

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I Have not been able to buy a Casey’s gift card with a credit card for several years at my local store
My wife tried it at Casey's today and was told she couldn't, it was the first time we'd ever tried at Casey's. But we've bought gift cards at HyVee on cc for a long time, heck I just bought a bunch at Xmas.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My wife tried it at Casey's today and was told she couldn't, it was the first time we'd ever tried at Casey's. But we've bought gift cards at HyVee on cc for a long time, heck I just bought a bunch at Xmas.
We don’t have a hyvee close so I’m clueless with them. Only Casey’s. Wish quik star would come in and run Casey’s out of town.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
But think of how many gift cards that dont get used.

My guess would be the % of cards not used has gone down, thus making it less profitable. To the point where the 4% fee on credit cards makes it not worth doing.

Same thing, but stated oppositely - trying to increase profit margin on gift cards.

Personally, I am not a fan of gift cards. Cash can be used anywhere, and doesn't get lost or misplaced nearly as easily as a gift card can.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
My card has increased cash back rewards for grocery stores and gas stations, so I had always bought gift cards at those spots.

cy4state

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2017
Nevada, IA
I know you can't buy lottery tickets with credit cards either but debit is acceptable. I'm guessing they are tied together somehow, maybe.

• Agree
Reactions: SaraV

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My guess would be the % of cards not used has gone down, thus making it less profitable. To the point where the 4% fee on credit cards makes it not worth doing.

Same thing, but stated oppositely - trying to increase profit margin on gift cards.

Personally, I am not a fan of gift cards. Cash can be used anywhere, and doesn't get lost or misplaced nearly as easily as a gift card can.
Casey’s had a deal where they zapped your gift card a buck a month after 30 days if not used. So if you got a $5 card and forgot for a couple months, it was zeroed out.

They also purged their cards a few years back. We have several for some odd reason, took them up there last year and all of them couldn’t be read by the current system so they were all invalid. I know a few were for $25

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I'm guessing it's because of fraud.

Somebody steals your card, buys a legitimate gift card with it, gets the merchandise from the gift card and Hy-Vee is left holding the bag?

• Winner
Reactions: GMackey32

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm guessing it's because of fraud.

Somebody steals your card, buys a legitimate gift card with it, gets the merchandise from the gift card and Hy-Vee is left holding the bag?
Wouldn't the CC company be left holding the bag?

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Casey’s clerk cursed me out for trying to buy one with a credit card. She pointed at a sign near cards on other end of counter where there was no cashier. Told her I picked it up off a rack by the door. She insisted there was a sign there too. I insisted there wasn’t. She then marched me back to the rack to point out the nonexistent sign, cursed at me some more, and said someone must have stolen the sign. I am sure people flock to Casey’s to steal dumbass signs about not buying gift cards with credit cards.

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
Casey’s clerk cursed me out for trying to buy one with a credit card. She pointed at a sign near cards on other end of counter where there was no cashier. Told her I picked it up off a rack by the door. She insisted there was a sign there too. I insisted there wasn’t. She then marched me back to the rack to point out the nonexistent sign, cursed at me some more, and said someone must have stolen the sign. I am sure people flock to Casey’s to steal dumbass signs about not buying gift cards with credit cards.

Casey's is upset about falling down the totem pole in the metro.

K&G > Kwik Star, QT > Casey's > Git n GO

Aduhbolu15

Feb 28, 2021
It makes alot of sense if you think about it. Paying for something that isn’t really money with something you haven’t paid off yet, with an account you had to open by not putting any money into.