Glass deck railing

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
We're thinking about putting glass railings on our new deck. Anyone have them? Any concerns especially considering Iowa weather? TIA

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
We had a builder that said one thing to consider is what side of the house your deck is on and then think about what the sun does as it goes through the glass (heats things up).

Reactions: IceCyIce

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We're thinking about putting glass railings on our new deck. Anyone have them? Any concerns especially considering Iowa weather? TIA
Pain in the butt to keep clean, when the sun shines through you can see the dirt and it stops all wind from flowing through. You have to get tempered glass in case someone hits it, or you bump into it which adds to the costs.

They look great, but I wouldn't do it.

• Agree
Reactions: psycln11 and legi

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
Assuming you're trying to minimize obstructions between you and a nice view, we considered glass but ended up going with a cable railing system for the same reason. There are some nice looking horizontal cable railing systems but they can be quite pricy depending on your project. We went with Westbury VertiCable sections. If you do this, I recommend black as the white sections show dirt.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've seen the new building Albaugh, that's no deck!

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Agree on the dirty comments. Our deck is under trees, and glass would look good for about 30 minutes.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
We had a builder that said one thing to consider is what side of the house your deck is on and then think about what the sun does as it goes through the glass (heats things up).
It's not a magnifying glass. The sun will heat the deck the same directly as through glass. That said, lack of air movement could be an issue.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Pain in the butt to keep clean, when the sun shines through you can see the dirt and it stops all wind from flowing through. You have to get tempered glass in case someone hits it, or you bump into it which adds to the costs.

They look great, but I wouldn't do it.
Definitely tempered glass and I don't think it will get too dirty since it's pretty high off the ground and not much for trees in the area. But something to consider for sure.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Make sure when the grass gets mowed that the discharge is thrown in the other direction. For several passes. Speaking from experience.

• Informative
Reactions: 1100011CS

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
If you go with glass, treat them a couple times a year (at least) with an automotive product of your choice thats designed to keep windshields clean (most have ceramic in the name these days). Then get windex or other brand window cleaner that you attach to a garden hose to clean them in between.

• Informative

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Agree with @LeaningCy and his comment on cable railings. Both the cable railing and the glass railings are nice options. I did glass as my house is quite contemporary. I've not had that much trouble keeping it clean but it is not a second story deck so it is pretty accessible.

I purchased and installed the system myself 20 years ago. Without looking it up I think it was Deck Images. I carpentered for a bit in a previous lifetime and am pretty handy and didn't have too much trouble with that. Had to measure and order the tempered glass separately. I opted for quite thick 3/8". Think code was 1/4" but the 3/8" looked better and more robust than 1/4". Code or no code, the 1/4" just looked too flimsy.

deck rail CF scale.jpg

deck at night.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Agree with @LeaningCy and his comment on cable railings. Both the cable railing and the glass railings are nice options. I did glass as my house is quite contemporary. I've not had that much trouble keeping it clean but it is not a second story deck so it is pretty accessible.

I purchased and installed the system myself 20 years ago. Without looking it up I think it was Deck Images. I carpentered for a bit in a previous lifetime and am pretty handy and didn't have too much trouble with that. Had to measure and order the tempered glass separately. I opted for quite thick 3/8". Think code was 1/4" but the 3/8" looked better and more robust than 1/4". Code or no code, the 1/4" just looked too flimsy.

View attachment 118434
The company we're looking at includes the glass but I think it's 1/4" and our deck builder included labor for rail install in bid.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
ngl, with the wind we get out here my first thought was deck furniture blowing through it.
I would definitely go with LeaningCy’s suggestion of the horizontal cable. (I wouldn’t do vertical) Zero maintenance and probably gives you everything you’re looking for.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: legi and 1100011CS

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron