GM to phase out Pontiac, Saturn

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
While I feel that this kind of major restructuring is necessary at GM, I was sort of surprised to see Saturn mentioned as a brand to be cut. Maybe somebody who knows the company a little better can provide some input, but isn't Saturn actually one of the more successful brands within GM?

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Saturn is largely, IMO, a failure. It was an attempt by GM to "start from scratch" to compete with the imports, without the overhead of their existing operations. They made (make) fair to mediocre cars that could (can) never compete with the imports because GM, quite frankly, just doesn't "get it".

If you want to see why you shouldn't give Detroit a bailout, I think Saturn is the best place to start. It shows just how bad the culture is in Detroit, and that's the fundamental problem. Even given a "clean slate", it's been a failure.

The best thing that could happen to the Big 3 is Chapter 11, and massive downsizing/splitting them up.

I also don't see why they are so obsessed with the GMC brand, but that's a whole different story.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
GM, which has cut costs for nearly four years as U.S. sales declined, said it was prepared to cut jobs, dealers and brands. It said it would try to sell Saab, phase out its mass-market Pontiac brand and talk to Saturn dealers about discontinuing that brand.

Link? Source?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I need a fast $4b to survive also, and I do not lose as much money on a daily basis as they do. So the government should loan me the money and I will repay it sooner.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I believe the GM For Chevy was on the Today show this morning and was asked why they continue to have both GMC and Chevy when most of the trucks are almost exactly the same. The guy beat around the bush and gave no real answer to the question. I thought it was a good point.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
surprised at pontiac too... would think GMC or Buick would go first..

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I thought Pontiac's G6 was one of the best models they had, especially in terms of competition with the foriegn makers.

Of course, I thought the same as the Oldsmobile brand when they canned it. (Alero, Intrigue, and Aurora all got very good critical ratings)

Reactions: kingcy

CST8WIN

Sep 24, 2007
Why Saturn??? We recently purchased a 2008 Saturn Outlook, and were also looking at GMC Acadias, which are basically the same vehicle. We could get an Outlook for about $3000 less than an Acadia, with the exact same features. Why if you are trying to compete with imports would you get rid of a more affordable vehicle vs. an overpriced vehicle. By the way, we are very happy with our Outlook.

kgreeny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I believe the GM For Chevy was on the Today show this morning and was asked why they continue to have both GMC and Chevy when most of the trucks are almost exactly the same. The guy beat around the bush and gave no real answer to the question. I thought it was a good point.

I saw that too. GMC would be an easy cut too me. On the other hand, if it is making a profit, keep it around. I have trouble believing it is make a profit, or that if they cut it Chevy trucks would sell more.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I believe every model that Saturn makes there is an equivelent at one of the other divisions but i can't think of another Vue type vehicle.

As far as Pontiac, they make the G8 (v8 360hp) which is only one of a handful of cars that I would consider purchasing from the big 3.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I think they should axe/sale Buick (old persons car), GMC, Hummer, Saab, Pontiac. Keep Chevy (Toyota), Cadillac (Lexus), and Saturn(Scion). Not that Toyota is the model but that's similar to what Honda, Nissan, BMW, etc have done

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron