"Go Cyclones" from Gene Chizik on Jay Mohr show

Apr 19, 2006
Chiz has no reason to wish us ill will - JP gave him a shot and it worked out for him.

It's no secret that him and his wife couldn't wait to get out of town. Plus, with all of the love on this board and from Cyclone Nation I'm sure he doesn't exactly have any of us on his Christmas card list.

I don't know if there is any love lost between him and Rhoads either. So I was thinking he might be taking a shot at us since we lost to UNI.

Sure he shouldn't hate us and has no reason to, but I just don't see him showing us any love. Who knows! Both sides benefited from that debacle.

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
I have occasionally like Jay Mohr in other things, but his show is not funny. It's borderline unlistenable.

Fail. JJ is probably the best sports radio show on right now, unless you want hear DP talk about all the crappy sandler movies he's in all day

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
It's gotten better as it's went along. The first couple weeks were terrible - way too much of his Christopher Walken impression and too schticky. Since then the quality of his guests has steadily improved and the show is fast paced with good banter among everyone in the studio. I could do without the audio drops, but that's nipicking. I'll take it over Jim Rome and his gigantic ego any day of the week.

The audio drops are the worst thing for me. They are constant and aggressively unfunny. I also can't do shows that seem built on callers kissing the host's *** and delivering awful one-liners.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Fail. JJ is probably the best sports radio show on right now, unless you want hear DP talk about all the crappy sandler movies he's in all day

I think what no one wants to admit is that even good sports radio shows are pretty bad 75% of the time.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I thought Jay having his own show would be great. It's okay but not as good as I would of hoped.

Jay is one of those guys who is really funny in small doses, but no way can he consistently carry a 3 hour show. He just can't do it. I listen for about 20 minutes each day on lunch and that is more than enough to want to make me change the station.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I say let bygones be bygones. His Kent state game looked like Paul's UNI game.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Oh, my god...anyone who has any reaction to that whatsoever is the person that Bobby LaGesse was talking about....total non-event...and rather than just talk about it...link:

09/06 Jay Mohr Sports Hour 1

Go to the 14 minute mark for the start of the Chizik section, spends almost 2 minutes talking about Broncos/Ravens, then Jay says they'll switch to College...mentions Gene was coach at Auburn and 'let's not forget about Iowa state, former head coach of Iowa State, much love for the Cyclones', where Gene says "absolutely, go cyclones"

He had to say it, he might not mean it, it's one of those public eye things where you say what you have to say. To draw a conclusion from it one way or another is dumb.

Reactions: dinger

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Oh, my god...anyone who has any reaction to that whatsoever is the person that Bobby LaGesse was talking about....total non-event...and rather than just talk about it...link:

Go to the 14 minute mark for the start of the Chizik section, spends almost 2 minutes talking about Broncos/Ravens, then Jay says they'll switch to College...mentions Gene was coach at Auburn and 'let's not forget about Iowa state, former head coach of Iowa State, much love for the Cyclones', where Gene says "absolutely, go cyclones"

He had to say it, he might not mean it, it's one of those public eye things where you say what you have to say. To draw a conclusion from it one way or another is dumb.

Yeah, if that was the context, it just sounds like something he was just going along with and not malicious.

cyclonebillski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
Its not like he has any reason to dislike ISU. He basically went from the fry cook at McDonalds to the CEO of Microsoft after burning a few orders of fries. If I was in the same situation, Id buy a McChicken or two every now and again to show my gratitude. I would fully expect spit on that sandwich, but that's beside the point

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Thanks for breaking the logjam about the context and significance of his quote.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Chizik's sincerity was underwhelming. He had to say something in response to Jay Mohr's enthusiasm about us. If I was Chizik, I wouldn't have appreciated him putting me in that situation. If anything, he should have made reference to Chizik at Texas because that was when he was awarded for his work as a defensive coordinator.

JustRedman

Jul 10, 2009
Gilbert
Jay Mohr is by far the best sports-talk radio host. DP, Cowherd, etc. are so driven by "the top story" that they may as well all be the same show. Jay at least is original, has great guests, asks odd-ball questions and is funny.
You can either listen to Jay Mohr...or Tebow, Tebow, Aaron Hernanadez, Tebow, ARod, Tebow and ARod.

Gimme Jay any day, baby. Shoot it!

brother bob

Feb 20, 2008
7 Seas of Rhye
Did anyone check to 'credits' for an * stating that cheeze-whiz was *Firmly entrenched with that statement?

I immediately turn the channel whenever that moron is on. My 4 year old has more football intelligence than that d/b.

CyclonesForever

Nov 5, 2011
Ames, IA
Jay Mohr was talking with chizik about the Denver vs Baltimore game first. Then they switched to college football and Mohr said he was the former coach of auburn and to not forget he was also the coach at Iowa state where chizik simply said, "of course, go cyclones." And that was it

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
It's good to see there are some O&A fans on here.

The feud with Stern and the rollercoaster relationship with Dice were classic back in the day. I still listen to that stuff on youtube

[video=youtube;SHSFXw0zCiU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHSFXw0zCiU[/video]

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron