Going to be an uncle

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Any tips or words of advice for having a niece or nephew? Just found out today so it's a little early. Hoping it's a nephew and I can teach how to root for the Cyclones!

Congratulations :) Been an aunt for just over a year. Buy them Cyclone clothing, hold them when you can......and then when they hit toddler or older is really when uncles come in. Buy a toy you can push them around in. They love it!

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Any tips or words of advice for having a niece or nephew? Just found out today so it's a little early. Hoping it's a nephew and I can teach how to root for the Cyclones!

Congrat's, my niece just turned 2 years old just a little bit ago. At times I was babysitting her 20+ hours a week while my sister worked/went to school. I even took time off work at times to watch her so she could work (not sure why I make a lot more than she did)

As long as you don't get straddled with basically helping raise the kid it should be a blast. And while watching her tons was not really something I wanted to do it was not all that bad away. I won't have to learn nearly as much for when I have my first kid.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

:skeptical: A girl can root for the Cyclones, too!

Congrats, though. My favorite uncle was the one who would let me climb him like a howler monkey, tickled me but stopped when I told him to, and was awesomesauce at playing hide-and-seek.

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
:skeptical: A girl can root for the Cyclones, too!

Congrats, though. My favorite uncle was the one who would let me climb him like a howler monkey, tickled me but stopped when I told him to, and was awesomesauce at playing hide-and-seek.

haha! Guess I just meant to say I hope it's a nephew in general.... My uncle was awesome when I was growing up, he was a minor league pitcher and taught me to love baseball. That's kind of why I want a nephew, but a niece would be cool too!

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
My uncle broke my wrist playing flag football, so shoot for better than that and the kid should like you still.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
haha! Guess I just meant to say I hope it's a nephew in general.... My uncle was awesome when I was growing up, he was a minor league pitcher and taught me to love baseball. That's kind of why I want a nephew, but a niece would be cool too!

I understand. Before our ultrasounds, my husband wanted a boy, didn't know what he'd do with a girl. There's something magical about a little girl, though. But little boys are tons of fun - you're not going to be able to go wrong either way! No matter what gender the baby is, just tell your sister not to name it Kinnick.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Act a little goofy in front of them, give them lots of sugary foods/candy, and teach them dirty words/songs.

K

KFitzy87

If/when they get siblings... Be sure to tell each one of them that they're your favorite when the others aren't around...

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
You have a while to go, but my nephew, for his 7th birthday we took him to a basketball game. It was this year against K state. I think it's safe to say we have a new cyclone fan. In general, try to have fun and enjoy the kid.

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
Thanks for the info everyone. My brother and sister in law both went to a crappy college back home and weren't into the whole sporting events thing. This is where I come in and start with him/her early for cheering on ISU. I think they're due in September so we still got some time.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Be prepared because they grow up fast. I have a nephew in his 3rd year at the Air Force academy. It seems like he was a baby just a short time ago.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Be prepared because they grow up fast. I have a nephew in his 3rd year at the Air Force academy. It seems like he was a baby just a short time ago.

Second this. It feels like the phone call telling me that I was an uncle was just a few weeks ago.

My niece is now in her freshman year at ISU, and I watched her little brother play on the sophomore basketball team at Cedar Falls a few weeks ago. Time definitely flies. You've got to do what you can whenever you can.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
As an uncle, I thought it my responsibility to teach my nephew phrases that his mother wouldn't approve of, like "Give me a bucket!" or "You're milking my lizard." My brother and I also let him help us whenever we were building something or working on a vehicle. He turned out alright.

Help Support Us

Become a patron