Going to CHA Thur. Questions for anyone that's been...

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Going to our first game in CHA. How early do we need to get there to find a handicap parking spot (looks like they are in lot 40?) How bad is traffic before? Best place to grab a bite/drink before (probably be short on time)?

Sorry if wrong forum for this question.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Traffic is bad for Iowa events. Their parking blows generally and they have a lot of blue hairs with handicap access so I would get there plenty early.
Eat lunch at the parking spot .... they go that fast there, throw in it being ISU in town... they will pack the place.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think they serve SingleSpeed "Gable" (Munich-style) beer.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Last time I went to CHA we took I-80 to 1st Ave and then waited about 45 minutes just to make it through the light onto 2nd St.

bpmdu

Jun 28, 2006
Former season ticket holder and my dad (hawkeye fan) is handicapped so we're familiar with the parking. You'll want to plan it so you're there about an hour before game time so you can wait in line. Once you get to the lot for handicap, it's much easier (typically). We came from CR so got off at Coralville exit and waited on 2nd st (highway 6?) for a while to turn onto the road to CHA. Wig & Pen is good, but if you time it badly - there's no way you're getting out of there unless you head the opposite direction. Lots of good restaurant options in that area but timeliness probably won't work for your situation.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Going to our first game in CHA. How early do we need to get there to find a handicap parking spot (looks like they are in lot 40?) How bad is traffic before? Best place to grab a bite/drink before (probably be short on time)?

Sorry if wrong forum for this question.

Stella is a good spot that’s close. We’ve gone there before the previous years. Gets busy beforehand. We’re going out on the ped mall before and after the game.

• Informative
Reactions: 1100011CS

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Wig & Pen and the Vine are two hot spots before basketball games. There are other good options, but I'm not sure you'll find anything that isn't a bit of a wait, especially on a game day.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
Also, Old Chicago is nearby. A lot of people leave their cars parked at the restaurants, walk to and from Carver and drink before and after. Its a little bit of a walk, uphill going to Carver.

Reactions: keepngoal

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
If you see a bunch of knuckle dragging mouth breathers wearing black shirts with gold parakeets on it, you are in the right place.

• Agree
Reactions: irish and Cycsk

bpmdu

Jun 28, 2006
Old Chicago is definitely closed. Walking from there is going to be about 10-15 mins including some uphill walking.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron