Golf Around Ames

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
I have played Honey Creek several times. The front nine is pretty basic. It's fairly open for the first 3-4 holes then more trees come into play. The back nine has some very senic holes. #11 is a par 3 teeing off to a green below the tee box. I am not sure about the elevation change but I bet its close to 70-80 feet. They have had some issues with the fairway on #14.

The Boone country club is a nice course. It might be challenging on the back 9 today because of the wind though.

I also like Jester Park. Great course and a good price.

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
I have played Honey Creek a few times. I really like it. Good value for the money, although the back nine could stand to mature a little more - some issues growing grass, etc. The par three with the big drop from tee to green is great fun to play and what a spectacular view of the river valley.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
I have played Honey Creek several times. The front nine is pretty basic. It's fairly open for the first 3-4 holes then more trees come into play. The back nine has some very senic holes. #11 is a par 3 teeing off to a green below the tee box. I am not sure about the elevation change but I bet its close to 70-80 feet. They have had some issues with the fairway on #14.

I have played Honey Creek once and the above description is pretty good. There was one hole that I did not like, I think it was probably #14 as mentioned, but other then that it is pretty good. Get a cart if you are going 18.

Cyberclone

Aug 6, 2006
Veenker is an awesome course in Ames, I got so used to playing Veenker that when I moved every golf course around cedar falls and waterloo are terrible compared to it. Veenker is challenging but very fun. Its why its a top public course in Iowa and where they play the Iowa Masters Tournament

Veenker takes a lot of balls, literally!

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Since I think that Bader got the info he wanted I will go ahead and hijack his thread. Does anybody know the meaning behind yelling "fore" when hitting the ball another group?

From Derivation of Golf Words Fore and Caddie or Caddy

Because golf balls were expensive, golfers employed ‘Forecaddies’ to stand where the ball might land and reduce the number of lost balls, as is done in tournaments today. In 1875, Robert Clark mentions that Andrew Dickson performing this role for the Duke of York in 1681 and describes it as “what is now commonly called a fore-caddieâ€￾. It is probable that golfers called to their “Forecaddie!â€￾, who would always be some distance ahead to draw attention to the fact the ball was coming and, in time, this was shortened to “Fore!â€￾ The almost contemporaneous appearance of the terms caddie, fore-caddie and fore! supports this theory over the others.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I love playing Homewood and River Bend. I am not very good, but I can go out, walk these courses and not do too bad; plus they are never real busy. Played Coldwater a few times; not a big fan due to no trees.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
We played a tourny at Coldwater when it first opened and it was crazy hot and no clouds in the sky. It ended up being a long, exhausting day.

Aldude505

Jan 19, 2008
Iowa Falls
Homewood is a very good course to do what I like to call..."warm up on" Veenker is the course you wanna go to if you're looking for a good fun challenge. I have played Coldwater which was ok, the course was really soft and wet when I played so that might of contributed to my reaction. Got a tee-time for Saturday at Veenker....can't wait!!!!!

wiscocyclone

Sep 13, 2007
I played Veenkner once and I thought it was not that great. Feral pigs running all over the course--oh, that was the Iowa women's team practicing. Sorry. :biglaugh:

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Anyone played Lincoln Valley over in State Center? Looks like an interesting 18-hole course.

I've played it many times...but that course in trouble right now financially so if you wanna play it, do it soon. They just had to have a big push for donations--they needed $60,000 in pledges in one day just to open it for the year. They got it. But now there is talk that the farmer across the street has offfered to buy the land--and nobody seems to know if he'll keep it as a golf course (he doesn't golf). The course is still in huge debt and doesn't make money, so I don't see it sticking around much longer....

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Thanks for the heads-up. There used to be a 9-hole course on old 30 between Ames and Nevada not too long ago. Hit some balls on their range one day, went back there a year or so later to play the course and it was gone.

cyclonewinger

Apr 16, 2008
Ames, Ia
Veenker or Coldwater are pry the nicest within Ames, Honey Creek was just built or at least in the past 5-8 years so it is still fairly young and hasn't developed like others have, the Harvester is really nice which is just outside of Rhodes.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Value of farmland will close up more than a couple courses. The number of golfers appears to have peaked as the video gamers do other stuff. Same for tennis and bowling.

Does Veekner still have the Davy Jones Locker hole where you hit it up to a high plateau?

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Value of farmland will close up more than a couple courses. The number of golfers appears to have peaked as the video gamers do other stuff. Same for tennis and bowling.

Does Veekner still have the Davy Jones Locker hole where you hit it up to a high plateau?

#2 is the one with the tee shot into the valley and the approach to a ridiculously elevated green. I think #11 is a par-3 that goes straight up the hill to a blind green.

bigredqb7

Apr 11, 2006
Milwaukee
played veenker on sunday. it was an embarrassment. so many dead spots everywhere on the course from what they called over seeding. i most likely wont be back for some time

Help Support Us

Become a patron