Golf Destinations

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Long story short,

My wife gave me the green light to plan a golf trip for my 40th next summer. I’d like to go somewhere outside of the Midwest for 3-4 days but I haven’t really golfed in other states. Anybody have a recommendation that isn’t ridiculously expensive? I’d like to play several super nice courses and have things to see/do when we aren’t playing. Not too worried about price—-I plan to donate all of my plasma for the next year :)
There are a ton of great courses in the Denver area that I would recommend honestly. The scenery and the courses plus its a short flight if you're in the midwest is my recommendation 100%

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Super underrated and not too expensive is the Brainerd Lakes area in Minnesota. You have tour level quality courses all within 30 min of each other. Classic at Madden's, Cragun's(brand new Tom Lehman course opened this year), Deacon's Lodge(Both Palmer courses) Pines at Grand View Lodge and many other solid tracks. Also there are a few really solid short courses as well. Not to mention the lakes up there are amazing.

Others:

Dirty Myrtle
PHX/Scottsdale
Vegas
Bandon
Sand Valley
Gaylord/Bayshore, MI
Arcadia Bluffs, MI
Kohler, WI
Streamsong
Big Cedar Lodge
Turning Stone, NY
St. George, UT
Daufuskie Island, SC

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
IMO, Bandon is far and away the best option if you can get on. Not a ton of other things to do in town, but the golf is the best in the US, and the coast/beaches are gorgeous.

Three honorable mentions for me would be Pinehurst (if you can get in), Monterey, CA (Pebble, Spanish Bay, Spyglass, etc), and San Diego (both Torrey courses, Coronado, Aviara, Maderas).
I've been seeing stuff this year about Bandon not being in good shape. See below, especially some of the pictures from recent in the comments.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Long story short,

My wife gave me the green light to plan a golf trip for my 40th next summer. I’d like to go somewhere outside of the Midwest for 3-4 days but I haven’t really golfed in other states. Anybody have a recommendation that isn’t ridiculously expensive? I’d like to play several super nice courses and have things to see/do when we aren’t playing. Not too worried about price—-I plan to donate all of my plasma for the next year :)
Just follow Golf Trip on instagram- lots of cool places- great ideas.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Big Cedar Lodge is fun. I’m currently down at Sandestin Golf and Resort where they have 4 award winning courses on property.

Brandon Dunes, Pebble, and Myrtle Beach are all must go’s that I still need to go to.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
So Bandon is #1 on my list. Thank you all for suggestions.

My questions about Bandon—-should I play with a caddy and if so, what’s an appropriate tip? Should I stay on site or just get an Airbnb? Did you fly into Portland or another airport?