Good Electives

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011
Looking for an easy/interesting elective to round out my schedule for my senior year. Anybody ever taken English 335 before? Thought that one sounded cool l, but if anyone's taken any good electives I'm open to suggestions

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
Sports Economics. Econ 313 with Ron Dieter. A lot of his current sports events show up on exams as was the case when I took it 2 years ago.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Sports Economics. Econ 313 with Ron Dieter. A lot of his current sports events show up on exams as was the case when I took it 2 years ago.

I second this

HDFS something, the online one that's intro to personal finance (183 maybe?), is an absolute free credit. I just took the quizzes online without reading the materials and passed the class; it's P/F. If you need just one credit I couldn't recommend it more highly.

Also HRI 383 (I think that's the number), intro to wine, beer, and spirits is a great class. It isn't a walk in the park but you will learn about drinks - mostly wine, but some spirits knowledge too (and not much about beer). And you drink them all in class too.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Religion 205: World Religions with Eric Northway if he is still at ISU. A very fun class and pretty easy. You spend a few days watching The Matrix and you discuss the religious symbolism in the movie.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Religion 205: World Religions with Eric Northway if he is still at ISU. A very fun class and pretty easy. You spend a few days watching The Matrix and you discuss the religious symbolism in the movie.

took 210 with him, really enjoyed it. I think he may be gone now. Though I wish I had taken 205 with him as well. Took that as a summer class and it was so dry and boring

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
took 210 with him, really enjoyed it. I think he may be gone now. Though I wish I had taken 205 with him as well. Took that as a summer class and it was so dry and boring

I took 205 in the summer as well. Did not enjoy it at all. Wasn't with Northway though; it was a female instructor.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
if you don't need a certain level (think engineer electives had to be 300 or 400 level?) I know a lot of friends took the Human Sexuality class and liked that. They started the spirits class my senior year I think, so I missed out but I think that would be fun.

If it has to be higher level and you don't despise writing papers, consider taking a history class on a topic you're interested in.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I took 205 in the summer as well. Did not enjoy it at all. Wasn't with Northway though; it was a female instructor.

I had a guy. I don't know if I just liked American religions better because of the familiarity, but I could not stay interested in 205. Northway made his class entertaining.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Why not create your own guided research course in a subject that will help you transition into your field? It might not be "easy," but you should be pretty motivated and it will be impressive to job scouts. You might even get the inside track on some jobs if you tie it to some sort of internship, apprenticeship, or job shadowing.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Northway was great. Loved his class. I took the world religions one. If I'm not mistaken, he always had a contest to see if you could guess what religion he was.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
I took History 280 and History 281 - History of Science.

They were 'history of science' in the sense of 'ideas about the cosmos', etc, not equations.

They were some of my favorite classes, but it depends what you are interested in...I guess I wasn't a typical engineer. I also kept trying to fit Medieval British Literature into my schedule pass/fail. They were fun since they weren't "utilitarian"/practical knowledge like the Engr classes.

HIST 280. Introduction to History of Science I.
(3-0) Cr. 3.
Ideas of nature from ancient Greece to the seventeenth-century scientific revolution.
Meets International Perspectives Requirement.

HIST 281. Introduction to History of Science II.
(3-0) Cr. 3.
Science from seventeenth-century scientific revolution to Darwin and Einstein.

HIST 284. Wonders of the World, Ancient to Early Modern.
(3-0) Cr. 3. F.
Starting from the classical "Seven Wonders of the World," examines machines, structures, buildings, innovations, and technologies from Sumer, Egypt, Greece, and Rome, through China, Latin America, and the Islamic world, up to Europe's Industrial Revolution. Topics include developments in warfare and weaponry, architecture, agriculture, printing, religious ceremony, entertainment, and major engineering achievements.

HIST 285. Modern Wonders of the World.
(3-0) Cr. 3. S.
Examines machines, structures, buildings, innovations, and technologies from the Industrial Revolution to the twenty-first century, including the US, Europe, Asia, and Middle East. Topics include developments in manufacturing, communication, electrification, automobiles, airplanes, warfare, computers, the atom bomb, and major engineering achievements.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Bump. It's that time of year again, registration time.

So I've got my final semester all scheduled in but I realized after meeting with an advisor today, that I am 3 credits short on meeting my double degree. Any recommendations for a 3 credit elective?

I would prefer online availability to make it easier on my schedule, as I'll be taking 21 credits for the semester (with this elective) and working. It doesn't have to be a complete walk in the park but I'd prefer something that doesn't require a lot of studying or time commitment.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I think if you take wine tasting there is some kind of a lab you can take with it. CLPS 322 is pretty easy, and you might actually learn something.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Son thought Hist 222 was incredibly easy, all stuff he learned in high school history. It wasn't online though.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Son thought Hist 222 was incredibly easy, all stuff he learned in high school history. It wasn't online though.

That one really depends who you get for a professor though. I thought it was pretty easy, but some others in there were taking it a second time.

GingerNinja

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2012
Omaha
Bump. It's that time of year again, registration time.

So I've got my final semester all scheduled in but I realized after meeting with an advisor today, that I am 3 credits short on meeting my double degree. Any recommendations for a 3 credit elective?

I would prefer online availability to make it easier on my schedule, as I'll be taking 21 credits for the semester (with this elective) and working. It doesn't have to be a complete walk in the park but I'd prefer something that doesn't require a lot of studying or time commitment.

Psych 230 XW or something like that was really easy for me last year. Everything is online and the exams are just on Blackboard so you don't even have to deal with the testing center. Homework takes a little time but it's all guess until you're right.