Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Iowa State little brother in Eastern Iowa | TheGazette

The Gazette Opinion Staff
Opinion Page Editor, The Gazette
[email protected]

Updated: 10 December 2011 | 8:51 am in Letters to the Editor
Iowa State little brother in Eastern Iowa

Justin Davis (“ISU coverage showed Gazette’s bias,â€￾ Nov. 26 letter) and Jim Miller (“Iowa State win deserved better coverage,â€￾ Nov. 26): Do you really believe that The Gazette should have more coverage of Iowa State when probably 70 percent of its circulation area is Hawkeye fans?

If you want more coverage, move to Des Moines or Ames. I stopped reading the Des Moines Register because of too much Iowa State coverage. It doesn’t matter if Iowa State beat Iowa and wins a national championship, they are still little brother in this state. Get used to it!

On another sports matter, if Gary Barta ever schedules another basketball game at Northern Iowa he should be fired.

I applaud Coach Fran McCaffery for getting booted Tuesday. On the play that got him kicked out, a UNI player had a vice grip on Aaron White while he was trying for a rebound and there was no whistle. That was the worst case of homering by a crew that I have seen in more than 50 years.

Elmer Beckler

Oxford

PantherSigEp

Dec 1, 2011
24533BP.jpg

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Shocking. I wonder how Ames feels about the Hawks..
With the dumb farmers like ELmer--they reflect the majority Iowa fanbase.

Gazette and QC times, etc? 85-90% Hawkeye all the time

Des Moines? 50/50, but the radio idiots and TV sport people mostly Hawkeye

cyingreen

Nov 13, 2006
Jasper County
With the dumb farmers like ELmer--they reflect the majority Iowa fanbase.

Easy on the dumb farmer stuff, big fella. :twitcy: (Oh, and btw, were the refs in the uofi-UNI game from the BIG?, or local guys that were just waiting for the YMCA youth games Saturday morning?)

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Shocking. I wonder how Ames feels about the Hawks..

But this is different. ISU just boycotts. :D

Really? You guys seem smart otherwise, so you really should know that Ames and Cedar Rapids are different.

Using your analogy, Des Moines should be all ISU. It is only 35 minutes from Ames.

Now if you would compare the Iowa City paper's coverage of the Cyclones and the Ames paper's coverage of the Hawkeyes, then I would agree with you.

VictoryPolka

Jan 3, 2009
IC via Ankeny
Really? You guys seem smart otherwise, so you really should know that Ames and Cedar Rapids are different.

Using your analogy, Des Moines should be all ISU. It is only 35 minutes from Ames.

Now if you would compare the Iowa City paper's coverage of the Cyclones and the Ames paper's coverage of the Hawkeyes, then I would agree with you.

Realistically, most pro-Cyclone press coverage is probably restricted to Ames, for the most part. I think it's safe to say the majority of this state supports Iowa. Most Iowa press will be jaded towards Hawkeye coverage, whether it's in Des Moines, Iowa City, or Cedar Rapids.

I'm not too familiar with the Ames press coverage of the Hawks. Maybe you can enlighten me.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Realistically, most pro-Cyclone press coverage is probably restricted to Ames, for the most part. I think it's safe to say the majority of this state supports Iowa. Most Iowa press will be jaded towards Hawkeye coverage, whether it's in Des Moines, Iowa City, or Cedar Rapids.

I'm not too familiar with the Ames press coverage of the Hawks. Maybe you can enlighten me.
Little to almost none.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Iowa State little brother in Eastern Iowa | TheGazette

The Gazette Opinion Staff
Opinion Page Editor, The Gazette
[email protected]

Updated: 10 December 2011 | 8:51 am in Letters to the Editor
Iowa State little brother in Eastern Iowa

Justin Davis (“ISU coverage showed Gazette’s bias,â€￾ Nov. 26 letter) and Jim Miller (“Iowa State win deserved better coverage,â€￾ Nov. 26): Do you really believe that The Gazette should have more coverage of Iowa State when probably 70 percent of its circulation area is Hawkeye fans?

If you want more coverage, move to Des Moines or Ames. I stopped reading the Des Moines Register because of too much Iowa State coverage. It doesn’t matter if Iowa State beat Iowa and wins a national championship, they are still little brother in this state. Get used to it!

On another sports matter, if Gary Barta ever schedules another basketball game at Northern Iowa he should be fired.

I applaud Coach Fran McCaffery for getting booted Tuesday. On the play that got him kicked out, a UNI player had a vice grip on Aaron White while he was trying for a rebound and there was no whistle. That was the worst case of homering by a crew that I have seen in more than 50 years.

Elmer Beckler

Oxford
butthurt.png

A lot of these homers are sidewalk alum at best.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Drake and UNI are the "little brothers" in Iowa. While Iowa has more success over the years, ISU has been leveling the playing field over the past 15 or so years. ISU is coming up in football and the recent years of bowl games proves as much. Saying ISU is the "little brother" to Iowa is a stupid comment as the series in both football and basketball are nearly 50% over the last 15 years. ISU may even have more wins in both sports in that timeframe. ISU used to be the "little brother", but that's no longer the case. Times are a changin'.

VictoryPolka

Jan 3, 2009
IC via Ankeny
Drake and UNI are the "little brothers" in Iowa. While Iowa has more success over the years, ISU has been leveling the playing field over the past 15 or so years. ISU is coming up in football and the recent years of bowl games proves as much. Saying ISU is the "little brother" to Iowa is a stupid comment as the series in both football and basketball are nearly 50% over the last 15 years. ISU may even have more wins in both sports in that timeframe. ISU used to be the "little brother", but that's no longer the case. Times are a changin'.

I agree with this. The reason the "little brother" sticks with most Iowa fans is there's still the disparity in fanbase size between Iowa and Iowa State. I would venture to guess that the gap will close as Iowa State progresses. As far as I'm concerned, it will make the in-state competition all the more exciting to watch.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron