Good lighter refreshing summer beer?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I've always been a darker beer guy.... I like porters and stouts like Guinness for example.

But in the summer, I don't usually want a darker heavier beer and just want something lighter and more refreshing. But I don't care for the awful Miller, Budweiser, or Coors junk... I want something good without a terrible aftertaste.

And the other caveat is that I don't care for anything too hoppy, like IPA's. A little hoppy is okay, but not too much.

I do like Spotted Cow from New Glarus, but you can only get that in Wisconsin.

Any recommendations?
Mango Cart

Reactions: baller21

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I've always been a darker beer guy.... I like porters and stouts like Guinness for example.

But in the summer, I don't usually want a darker heavier beer and just want something lighter and more refreshing. But I don't care for the awful Miller, Budweiser, or Coors junk... I want something good without a terrible aftertaste.

And the other caveat is that I don't care for anything too hoppy, like IPA's. A little hoppy is okay, but not too much.

I do like Spotted Cow from New Glarus, but you can only get that in Wisconsin.

Any recommendations?

Fast Tire or Shiner Prickly Pear

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Where have you found this in Iowa? Urbandale Hyvee? Love this as an alt. to Spotted Cow, and always pick some up when I’m in Wisconsin (along with staple and special New Glarus beers).

Pretty sure it was just CR HyVee. But I think I did see it once in a D.M. area Hy Vee. It's been almost a decade since I even looked, but I just remember being surprised to see it.

Reactions: Rods79

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
River Hops in Fort Dodge has lemon drop that tastes like lemonade, oxbow orange, and a watermelon wheat that is a lot of fun. All of these are light summer beers. Oxbow Orange is on tap yr around. Their standard training wheels lager is also very smooth.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
For local light, crisp American lagers, really like Iowa Eagle from Iowa Brewing Co and Dorothy from Toppling Goliath

Iowa+Eagle+with+Background.jpg

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Modelo Especial if it's really hot out. Bohemia for a more full favored option.

I pretty much go to those except in cold whether guiness or other stouts.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
My favorite refreshing summer beer styles are hefeweizens or Belgian white beers. For hefeweizens I like Ayinger brau weisse, Franziskaner, or Weihenstephaner. Belgian white I’d go with Hoegaarden.