Good Lord

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Good Lord (Deeply Political/Religious Topic)

Good Lord, kids' television sure has gotten supportive of the gay/lesbian/transgendered/bisexual community. I have NickJr. on right now, and Diego (I think), just had a rainbow flag for a "finish line."

In my opinion, this is great! Showing support for all people is something that, I think, has been missing in our society as of late. Anyone else remember the Des Moines community being against the high school that put on the play about the Matthew Shepard murder?

Last edited:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
There are a lot of ignorant people in the world, that cannot accept anyone for who they are. There are so many other problems we have in this country, I just dont understand why we focus in on sex so much. I guess that all comes from this being a religious based country.

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
Not a gay thing here, but cartoons suck these days. I remember being a kid in the 80's and you could get up and watch cartoons from 7:00 til noon on 3 channels (abc nbc cbs) that were good. Cartoons on saturday mornings suck. Thank goodness for the boomerang channel, so my son can watch some of those good old cartoons.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Not a gay thing here, but cartoons suck these days. I remember being a kid in the 80's and you could get up and watch cartoons from 7:00 til noon on 3 channels (abc nbc cbs) that were good. Cartoons on saturday mornings suck. Thank goodness for the boomerang channel, so my son can watch some of those good old cartoons.

Not gonna lie, but I was beyond pissed when Cartoon Network created the Boomerang Channel. I loved watching the Flinstones and the Jetsons before that channel took them away.

On a side note: "I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map" and Boots is one sad monkey this morning.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'll agree on the cartoons sucking these days. What ever happened to the good cartoons that you could actually understand? I remember growing up on The Flintstones, Duck Tails, Tail Spin, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Dennis the Menace, Goof Troop, Transformers, Hee Man, Thundercats, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers to name a few. Then you had the non-animated shows like Alf, Dukes of Hazzard and The A-Team for instance.

I've tried to watch some of this crap now and some of these cartoons are the dumbest things in the world with no story lines. And what the heck is a Spongebob Square Pants? :no6xn:

businesscyman

Aug 3, 2006
There are a lot of ignorant people in the world, that cannot accept anyone for who they are. There are so many other problems we have in this country, I just dont understand why we focus in on sex so much. I guess that all comes from this being a religious based country.

Of course perhaps they come about their view from a historical perpsective of homosexuality being a disorder that is against natural law and like all things disordered have problems accepting them.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I'll agree on the cartoons sucking these days. What ever happened to the good cartoons that you could actually understand? I remember growing up on The Flintstones, Duck Tails, Tail Spin, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Dennis the Menace, Goof Troop, Transformers, Hee Man, Thundercats, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers to name a few. Then you had the non-animated shows like Alf, Dukes of Hazzard and The A-Team for instance.

I've tried to watch some of this crap now and some of these cartoons are the dumbest things in the world with no story lines. And what the heck is a Spongebob Square Pants? :no6xn:

I agree with all of your post until that last line. SpongeBob is by far the best new cartoon out there (just above Fairly Odd-Parents). Both of those shows are hilarious!

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Of course perhaps they come about their view from a historical perpsective of homosexuality being a disorder that is against natural law and like all things disordered have problems accepting them.

The thing to me is, even if you do see homosexuality as a "disorder," (I don't think it is) why shouldn't they be allowed the same things heterosexuals are? If it is a "disorder," why should they not be allowed to adopt and/or get married? If it's because of "tax breaks" that's a rediculous reason to say that someone shouldn't be allowed to have a child or legally commit to one person.

businesscyman

Aug 3, 2006
The thing to me is, even if you do see homosexuality as a "disorder," (I don't think it is) why shouldn't they be allowed the same things heterosexuals are? If it is a "disorder," why should they not be allowed to adopt and/or get married? If it's because of "tax breaks" that's a rediculous reason to say that someone shouldn't be allowed to have a child or legally commit to one person.

From my point of view it is because the very basic building block of society is the family and intentionally introducing disorder into that building block is a recipe for further eroision. If the persons disorder was Child Molestation instead of homosexuality would you still advocate them being allowed adoption?

As far as marriage goes, I don't think something so far removed from God's law should seek a title designed by Him. of course I am so set in my ways I don't support hetero unions unless performed in God's presense i.e. I don't htink people married by a judge are truly married. I think they have a legal arrangement to derive the tax and other social benefits but are not a married couple.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL

I agree. Now, I realize that all the cartoons I watched as a tike probably reinforced deprecated gender stereotypes and chided any hints at homosexuality/overt femininity in male archetypes by moving really fast and blowing stuff up... but dammit that's the way I like it! I'm not sure why there are no longer any shows like the Transformers, G.I. Joe, Ninja Turtles (the good one from the 80's), and so on. I'm not convinced that activism and diversity have tainted the awesomeness factor of modern cartoons; I think that as a whole the quality has just sunk.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
From my point of view it is because the very basic building block of society is the family and intentionally introducing disorder into that building block is a recipe for further eroision. If the persons disorder was Child Molestation instead of homosexuality would you still advocate them being allowed adoption?

As far as marriage goes, I don't think something so far removed from God's law should seek a title designed by Him. of course I am so set in my ways I don't support hetero unions unless performed in God's presense i.e. I don't htink people married by a judge are truly married. I think they have a legal arrangement to derive the tax and other social benefits but are not a married couple.

Hmmm.... interesting points. However, I think that child molestation is something that is far more severe than consenting adults initiating in a sexual act. I'm not sure if child molesters are able to adopt, but I think they'd be more likely to adopt a child if they are heterosexual than a homosexual couple currently is.

I agree with the marriage thing, actually. I've never been a fan of state-sanctioned marriages, but the fact of the matter is that hetero couples CAN get married in such a way (ie: outside of the church) but homosexual couples are unable to. In his respect, I think homosexual couples should have that ability. If a church says that they won't perform a homosexual marriage, that's fair, as that they aren't a federal group. But by not allowing a judge sanctioned marriage, we're alienating people and citizens of our country, and the government is there to protect the rights OF ALL CITIZENS. As long as they (homosexual couples) are not allowed to have a state-sanctioned marriage/civil-union at the very least, we are telling them that they are an inferior people in a way. (Think women and voting until the 1940's)

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ

Which of God's laws are we talking about here? "Love your neighbor as yourself" or "Judge not lest ye be judged"?

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com

WHAT? are you actually comparing child molestation to homosexuality??? homosexuality is not a disorder...I know a lot of gay and lesbian couples that would be much better care takers than some "legally" married couples and TONS of married hetero couples who beat their kids and a plethora of other terrible things. It simply comes down to the fact that the people making these laws are "the old way" types who are scared about gays "TAKING OVER" (w/e that means) and that if they are allowed to marry/adopt kids/have the human rights of other PEOPLE/etc. then they will convert everyone to being gay.

As far as people should be married in front of god, I mean, come on, that's fine if you want to, but weddings don't NEED to be religous, that's fine it they are. Atheists should be allowed to marry AND THEY ARE. If you are religous and want to be married in a church, that should be fine, and even if you are religous and don't want to be married in a church, that should be fine as well. Who are we to exclude from being married?

As far as the concept of "family" in society...family is WHAT YOU MAKE IT. Two gay men/women can be your family, two straight men/women can be your family...family doesn't need to be blood and doesn't need to be the conformitave 1950's style family with a dad, mom, and two children living in suburbia, yes it CAN be family, but that is not all a family can be defined as.

"Gays and lesbians should have the right to marry, they should have the right to be as miserable as everyone else." :laugh8kb:

businesscyman

Aug 3, 2006
and the government is there to protect the rights OF ALL CITIZENS.

Interesting thoughts but what right is denied exactly? The right to take the name of an institution that for 1000's of year has meant one thing and change that definition to something totally different? If homosexual or heterosexual people want to live in sin then so be it, but I do not agree they should take an institution such as marriage with them.

Clone Fan you said
"Which of God's laws are we talking about here? "Love your neighbor as yourself" or "Judge not lest ye be judged"?"

When Jesus said the first item you quote - "Love your neighbor..." he also defined that love as saving souls. Do you not love your neighbor enough to try to save their soul? Would you rather they have maybe 100 years on this earth of perceived happiness at the expense of an eternity of misery?

On the second quote, judgment is not mine it is God's only. However, his instructions are pretty clear that we should each try to help one another follow His ways. Back to my child molester (which I am not equating to homosexuality for the record) example, if you saw someone molesting a child would you "judge" that to be wrong or would you not judge for fear of being judged?

I think we as a society have continuously moved the bar on wht we are willing to "judge" as right or wrong. If we do not stop moving that bar, in our lifetimes we may see someone defend my example on your basis. It has already started with beastiality in some areas.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Interesting thoughts but what right is denied exactly? The right to take the name of an institution that for 1000's of year has meant one thing and change that definition to something totally different? If homosexual or heterosexual people want to live in sin then so be it, but I do not agree they should take an institution such as marriage with them.

I guess what I"m trying to say is that if heterosexual couples can benefit from the "right" to get married in a state-sanctioned marriage, then so should homosexuals. I don't think that is really changing the definition as you say. Personally, I think of marriage as total committment to one person for the rest of your life. Not necessarily of a different gender.

IMO, if a church does not want to say that homosexuality is an alright thing, that's fine and their choice. The difference is that one is a private group, and the government should not be caught in that kind of situation to say that the same benefits of a married heterosexual couple can be denied to another couple who is homosexual.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
When Jesus said the first item you quote - "Love your neighbor..." he also defined that love as saving souls. Do you not love your neighbor enough to try to save their soul? Would you rather they have maybe 100 years on this earth of perceived happiness at the expense of an eternity of misery?

Wow. "Saving souls"? You think you can save someone's soul? I would say that someone as yourself that distorts the message of God to justify their bigotry needs to get that log out of their eye before they start judging others.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron