Google Fi

CloneFan03

Mar 18, 2008
Cedar Falls, IA
Anyone else tried Google Fi cell service?

Google Fi has finally changed to allow anyone with a 319 number to join. They have also changed the phone requirements, so you can use Samsung and Apple phones with their service. I've been wanting to try this for a few years now and finally made the change a few weeks ago. So far I've had great coverage.

Google Fi uses US Cellular, TMobile and Sprint towers so not many dead zones. For $20/month and pay as you go data at $10/GB it's a great deal compared to the big boys.

Here's a referral code to get a $20 credit when you join Google Fi! Redeem it at https://g.co/fi/r/CYDEXU

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

Google Fi has finally changed to allow anyone with a 319 number to join. They have also changed the phone requirements, so you can use Samsung and Apple phones with their service. I've been wanting to try this for a few years now and finally made the change a few weeks ago. So far I've had great coverage.

Google Fi uses US Cellular, TMobile and Sprint towers so not many dead zones. For $20/month and pay as you go data at $10/GB it's a great deal compared to the big boys.

Here's a referral code to get a $20 credit when you join Google Fi! Redeem it at https://g.co/fi/r/CYDEXU

I've already given Google my entire online life anyway . . . why not???

Seriously though, I hadn't heard of this. Looks like a good option for me. I need unlimited talk but I'm very low tech on phones and will use little to no data. But could.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I used it in France and the Netherlands and it worked great. With that said, the plans seem to be best for single people who don't use a lot of data. We have three phones and when I ran the numbers compared to Verizon it didn't make sense, especially with Verizon's superior coverage.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I looked at this last night. The downfall as iPhone user is iMessage won't work right when texting non iPhone users.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Ive been on Google Fi for a few years now, and I love it. Prior to them having US Cellular, it was a pain in Iowa, but I live in KC at the time. I have zero complaints, and my cell phone bill is always about $30-$40/month.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I've had it for like 2 years now. Service is fine, at least one of the 3 providers will usually work. Price is great if you are able to limit your data usage. With wifi at home and work, my bill is like $30 a month.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I was looking at this as a potential option for international travel. I'd like to keep Verizon, but will be spending nearly a month in New Zealand in a couple weeks. I need access to work email/directions as I travel and was trying to figure out the most cost effective way to get it. I really just need data. Verizon's international plan for NZ is $10 each day I use it.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I have used Google Fi for two years now too. It works for me. As someone already said, it makes sense if you don't use a lot of data. I will say, that even though it uses three phone services in T-Mobil, US Celluar, and Sprint, those services don't cover rural areas as good as someone like Verizon, so don't get caught up that because they are using three services, they all pretty much cover the same area. It works great if you stay within cities and major roadways.

• Agree
Reactions: CyclonesMoney

CyclonesMoney

Sep 12, 2017

I have been with google Fi for 3 years now. I get good service and was able to use my phone in Africa just fine as if I am in Des Moines. good service and cheap. Forget the big boys, they crooks.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
My wife and I have been on Fi for a while. Early on it had problems switching towers, but now it works well. Downside was you had to buy phones directly from them and selection was limited. It's cool they have opened it up to bring you own phone.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
I’ve had Google Fi for over two years. Coverage has always met or exceeded expectations in my home area (Rochester, MN), and the various places I frequent (rural northern Iowa, rural western Iowa, northern Illinois).

My wife and I are pretty strong phone users, and our bill averages $60-70 per month. Just use WiFi whenever it’s available. Switching is nearly always seamless.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
I would recommend it to anyone, especially now that it’s opened up to bring any phone you want. I was an iPhone user for years and switched to Android just for the Google Fi service years ago.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
We tried Fi a while back, but I think ATT prepaid is a better deal. My wife & I each have 6GB/mo (& whatever you don't use rolls over) & we pay $75 total.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I've tried it but I could never get the phone to switch towers correctly with USC. I went back to verizon due to service in rural iowa. If you are on wifi most of the time and in a metro area, it works really well but rural IA, ehh its really hit or miss.

Google Fi is the best service I've found for international travel. I keep my old nexus to activate the sim card and then plug it into my iphone for europe. Never had any issues and is much easier than having to deal with buying sim cards over seas. (Using Fi in an iphone locks you onto only Tmobile towers but thats who Fi uses for international agreements, as long as your iphone is a 7 or newer and unlocked, it works.)

Reactions: FLASH

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Wife switched to Fi a couple years ago and it has been fantastic. I just jumped to Fi from US Cellular and it's going well so far. Definitely cheaper unless you watch videos on mobile networks and go crazy with data. I'm near wi-fi unless I'm in the car, so it works great for us.

BigGame

Nov 21, 2011
Wife and I love Fi. Been a big upgrade over Verizon and Sprint. We're near wifi a lot, so our bill is never over $55 for the 2 of us. Only pay for the data you use, down to the cent, and data is free over 10gb. We've actually even been surprisingly thrilled with the phones and support. Initial skepticism regarding the number of phones to choose from (they've since expanded the number as well), and after 2 years I really couldn't be happier. Wife just upgraded her phone, and the process of switching everything over took, I kid you not, like 3 minutes. We'd have spent at least an hour in a Verizon store doing crap like that before. And between the current sales and phone trade in, we were able to buy her a new Moto g6 for about $50. They also have medium and high end phones to choose from as well, including the Pixel 2. Never dropped a call, never had a problem with the signal, which I can't say about any past providers. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RedBlooded

BigGame

Nov 21, 2011
Oh I just realized, if anyone is interested in joining, feel free to use this referral link so we each save $20.
https://g.co/fi/r/YK57AW
I'm definitely not mentioning that for the $20, I really do love Fi, even if you don't wanna use the referral link. Good luck

RedBlooded

Jun 11, 2010
cedar falls
Wife and I love Fi. Been a big upgrade over Verizon and Sprint. We're near wifi a lot, so our bill is never over $55 for the 2 of us. Only pay for the data you use, down to the cent, and data is free over 10gb. We've actually even been surprisingly thrilled with the phones and support. Initial skepticism regarding the number of phones to choose from (they've since expanded the number as well), and after 2 years I really couldn't be happier. Wife just upgraded her phone, and the process of switching everything over took, I kid you not, like 3 minutes. We'd have spent at least an hour in a Verizon store doing crap like that before. And between the current sales and phone trade in, we were able to buy her a new Moto g6 for about $50. They also have medium and high end phones to choose from as well, including the Pixel 2. Never dropped a call, never had a problem with the signal, which I can't say about any past providers. Let me know if you have any questions.
Are you in Iowa? How is your coverage across the state?

CloneFan03

Mar 18, 2008
Cedar Falls, IA
Are you in Iowa? How is your coverage across the state?

In my few weeks of using it I have been mostly in Des Moines Metro area, but also up to Fort Dodge and Ottumwa. I have had no issues with coverage in those trips so far. I used to be on US Cellular, and had good coverage across Iowa, so I am assuming I should have the same coverage with Google Fi.

• Informative
Reactions: RedBlooded

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron