got my acceptance letter from Iowa State yesterday, housing suggestions?

TheAdmiral

Oct 1, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
If you are looking to meet tons of people and party a lot, live in Maple Willow Larch or Friley and Helser. If you are looking to have a quiter dorm i'd suggest Linden, it has nice sized rooms and its near two places to eat.

Cyclone29

Jul 21, 2009
I lived in BWR but id defn say try to live in MWL. Closest to all housing needs. close to stadium/hilton and sorority row. no other way to go.

Reactions: dualthreat

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I was a CA and lived in MWL, Friley, & Buchanan... Friley was by far my favorite.

laytonz

Feb 16, 2009
Ames
I'm not saying going Greek is the only way to go, but def look into it. It works for a lot of people and Iowa State literally has a top 5 greek system in the country.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
BWR man... all guys, good way to meet a ton of good guys and there are plenty of women close by. I'd do it no other way.

Congrats on getting in.

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
Just got my congratulations/acceptance letter from Iowa State yesterday. I have to admit i'm pretty excited. Any suggestions for housing? best dorm rooms closest to campus, etc?

not friley, everyone thinks its cool but it sucks. go with eaton or martin. i moved out of friley to eaton at semester and i dont think ive ever made a better decision in my entire life.

Marc936

Oct 25, 2009
I'm not saying going Greek is the only way to go, but def look into it. It works for a lot of people and Iowa State literally has a top 5 greek system in the country.

you sure of that? i know university of illinois has the largest greek system, and their greek system by far trumps ours. You can go block after block after block and see nothing but greek houses.

edit: and DO NOT GO TO TOWERS, i've been here 3 weeks and moving the f' out of here, if i wanted to be isolated i would have lived under a rock

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
you sure of that? i know university of illinois has the largest greek system, and their greek system by far trumps ours. You can go block after block after block and see nothing but greek houses.

edit: and DO NOT GO TO TOWERS, i've been here 3 weeks and moving the f' out of here, if i wanted to be isolated i would have lived under a rock

yup, suitcases suck too, if you wanna be comfortable living somewhere go with a suite, SO worth the extra two grand. seriously, friley smells, along with all the other non-suite dorms

Cyballz

Aug 20, 2009
Definitely...join a Fraternity. Live in the dorms for a year maybe, but then join the big leagues. That's where the parties and hot girls are.

there's a test. Ask yourself if you a. need to buy your friends and b. are so insecure you need to live in a place that restricts the guest list of parties so that you can have a undeserved sense of entitlement. If you answer yes to either/both of those questions a frat may be the way to go for you.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
One of these days we should have a thread like this that doesn't descend into a childish frat vs. dorm debate, sticky it, and be done.

shaunvon09

Aug 30, 2009
North Mankato, MN
If you're majoring in engineering I would go with Friley. I live there now and it is close to most of the engineering buildings. If you're looking to spend more go with Martin. (Eaton is completely substance free...that's no fun :biggrin:)

Marc936

Oct 25, 2009
there's a test. Ask yourself if you a. need to buy your friends and b. are so insecure you need to live in a place that restricts the guest list of parties so that you can have a undeserved sense of entitlement. If you answer yes to either/both of those questions a frat may be the way to go for you.

quick question, if your hosting a party would u invite everyone in even if you dont know them? exactly

people ***** too much about fraternities, if you dont like it you dont have to be part of it, or even go near it. Some people like to party and go nuts, let them. As long as its not directly ruining the way you do things why should it bother you?

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009

There's a difference between being the top 5 numbers-wise and top 5 quality-chapter-wise. Iowa State has won numerous awards for their Greek Community. I know UIUC has a great community, too.

CycloneTJS

Jan 29, 2009
Cedar Rapids
Go Greek. You will meet 20 to 50 guys before the first day of class, many of which will have the same major as you and are more than happy to help you along the way. The party's are fine, but over blown. Most houses today are in control. My old house just rid themselves of the party animals, and are making a comeback. Lots of great lessons to be learned outside the classroom, and Fraternal living is one of the best ways to make life-long friends. I was a LXA, and through my house connections, helped me land my first job. Good Luck!

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street

A. =yes people in frats are rich and have very nice things
B. =I was insecure but I bought a bunch of friends who love me, one of their dads got me a job at his corporate real estate firm and now I have tons of money so I'm no longer insecure........IT ROCKS. :jimlad:

LeSchmick

Dec 14, 2008
Urbandale

I don't remember paying for my friends. Also, If you join anyother club on campus, say the waterski club, I still have to pay dues and what not and are inevitably going to be friends with people in the club. By your infallible logic I just payed for my friends. Therefore, where is your hate for all established clubs?

Last edited by a moderator:

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Larch is the best thing you could do. Right by Jack Trice, Hilton and alot of partying hahaha plus you can meet all the athletes staying in Larch, Willow when they are freshman and sophomores

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Definitely...join a Fraternity. Live in the dorms for a year maybe, but then join the big leagues. That's where the parties and hot girls are.

That's not at all true. Granted, you're basically spoon fed nubile sohos, but there are plenty of wild parties and hot girls outside the structure of the Greek System. Trust me, being an independent does not preclude having a ******* blast.