Graceland grabs a little Hilton South Magic

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Graceland won the 32 team NAIA Div I championship last night at Municipal Auditorium. It took a buzzer beater in overtime to pull out the win. No surprise hear that attendance for the final (6,377) was the largest since the historic tournament returned to KC in 2002. Iowans make downtown KC their own for BB tourneys

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Appreciate the attempt, but was Municipal Auditorium ever called Hilton South??? ...and even if it was, what does that have to do with Graceland?

(prepared to be put in my place, but had to ask the question. Some things need to be sacred.)

Last edited:
  • Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: aauummm and JM4CY

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Appreciate the attempt, but was Municipal Auditorium ever called Hilton South??? ...and even if it was, what does that have to do with Graceland?

(prepared to be put in my place, but had to ask the question. Some things need to be sacred.)
Every time the women played in the big 12 Tournament in Municipal Auditorium Cyclones took it over and called it Hilton South.

I was there for the championship game in 2000 and it was definitely Hilton South.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Every time the women played in the big 12 Tournament in Municipal Auditorium Cyclones took it over and called it Hilton South.

I was there for the championship game in 2000 and it was definitely Hilton South.

The place was packed that night. I think that year's tourney still stands as the largest WBB attendance in the history of the Big 12. They had a few magic moment in there since. Glad its coming back to KC.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The place was packed that night. I think that year's tourney still stands as the largest WBB attendance in the history of the Big 12. They had a few magic moment in there since. Glad its coming back to KC.

It's #4 for the championship game, largely because there was no more room.

12,413 - 2007 (#2 Oklahoma vs #5 Iowa State, Cox Center OKC)
10,673 - 2006 (#1 Oklahoma vs #2 Baylor, Reunion Arena)
10,310 - 2003 (#1 Texas vs #3 Tech, Reunion Arena)
9,130 - 2000 (#1 Iowa State vs #6 Texas, Municipal Auditorium)

The 2007 tournament had 3 sessions over 10K -- quarterfinal session with OU, the semis, and the final.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Ummmmmmm. It was about men's basketball, and a small Iowa college winning a title in downtown KC.

The men’s b-ball forum is meant to be specific to ISU men’s b-ball. Other topics like this one should be placed in the General College Sports forum. Look at the “forums list” and you will see.

I really should be a mod so I can correct these errors.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I appreciate the thread. I'm not only a three time ISU alum and an avid wbb fan, I'm a professor at Graceland. I was at every game. The tournament was amazing and the competition incredibly tough. The format had GU playing five games in six days with the only day off being before the "fab four." Graceland showed some fantastic team play and beat several higher ranked teams on their way to the championship. The buzzer beater in overtime was a fitting way to end the tournament. Three guys on the team were all-tournament including the post, Lamoni's own Jeremy Deemer. LT Davis, a hot shot point guard was MVP. He was MVP of two juco national championships as well. Team will likely have at least two All-Americans in Deemer and Davis.

Reactions: Royalclone

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
And yes, it reminded me of how ISU fans take over the Muni during the Big 12 tourney! Graceland fans and alums flew in from all over the country for the championship.

• Agree

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
The men’s b-ball forum is meant to be specific to ISU men’s b-ball. Other topics like this one should be placed in the General College Sports forum. Look at the “forums list” and you will see.

I really should be a mod so I can correct these errors.

Let me guess. Engineer?

• Agree

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Let me guess. Engineer?
Funny thing. Im the one that started this apparently wayward post, and I am an engineer.
Sorry if relating a similar performance by a small Iowa college to the same thing ISU teams have done in KC is off-topic. Suppose we better remove discussions of Loyola's run in the dance as well. I'm guilty on that one too.:eek:

Reactions: wxman1