Graham

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
"This past season, Graham caught 37 passes for 578 yards and four touchdowns for 10-2 Joliet, which included victories over North Iowa Area Community College and Ellsworth Community College. He averaged 14.8 yards per catch."

Anyone see something wrong with that math?

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
"I was telling the coaches I saw a couple of different plays that I have the confidence that I could have turned into a big play," Graham said. "I'm taking nothing away from the guys they have there right now. They work hard and did a great job this year, but with my vision and instincts, I could have turned a few plays into something bigger."

He seems very confident in himself, and I like that. I want all of our new guys to come in with the attitude that "I can make that play, I can exploit that team, I am an improvement over the guys ahead of me and I'm going to prove it." Every new player that increases our team speed, increases our team ability and increases our (warning: overused terminology ahead) team swagger will be a giant step in the right direction.
Hopefully these guys will have the right attitude and the abilities to back it up.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
thats a nice read. And completely true. the other teams always seemed to have faster, more athletic, and alot more of them. It will be cool to see how this recruiting class ends

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
I love his confidence...in not only himself but also his future coaches and the rest of his future teammates!!

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Devil's advocate here...I've seen this kid and he wasnt that big he'll definetly need to stack on some weight when here. I like fast but you also need physical.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Devil's advocate here...I've seen this kid and he wasnt that big he'll definetly need to stack on some weight when here. I like fast but you also need physical.

Anyone who has watched the movie Rudy knows that in football attitude and hard work trumps pure physical size. Right?:skeptical:

kgreeny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Someone should forward this to the RAG on how to write a real article. Nice job out of Bobby.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
He reminds me of TO. I would love to see him playing at 215 or 220 next season. He has the frame to add the weight, that's for sure.

If he's not enrolling in January, that would be tough. And Chizik already has a speedy former juco receiver on campus to put muscle on--Wallace Franklin. :wink:

mjlane

Apr 21, 2006
If he's not enrolling in January, that would be tough. And Chizik already has a speedy former juco receiver on campus to put muscle on--Wallace Franklin. :wink:

Graham is something like 6'-2", 190 - that's not exactly small. Franklin is listed at 169 lbs, that's pretty skinny. To me it doesn't appear that they have similar builds at all.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Don't recall saying that they had similar builds. Just that either (if you want Graham at 215) of them could use 25 pounds--and it would seem easirer for Fanklin when he's on campus already.

Harry

Mar 27, 2006
I prefer results not talk. Last year everyone was in love with J. Bass' talk. Do it on the field then talk.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant

Not necessarily. I won't argue that it doesn't hurt, but if you are quick enough to avoid getting stuck by the db's at the line, or if they are playing soft because of your speed, you don't need to be real physical. A good example of this is Randy Moss. He's not the most physical reciever out there, but we all know what he can do on the field.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I prefer results not talk. Last year everyone was in love with J. Bass' talk. Do it on the field then talk.

I had no problems with J.J. It's tough for a tailback to play with a shoulder injury. I think he'll have an excellent senior season.

Graham and Carlson should be excellent additions. I'll be interested to see how long it takes before they get their feet under them. After all, Bell started from Game 1.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Bass will have an average at best senior season if Robinson has anything to say about it. A-Rob was great for us late in the season, provided a much needed spark that the other two backs had yet to provide. His fumbling early in the year shot him in the foot. He got a chance at redemption and did that and more. He continues to hold onto the ball and man - we're gonna love this kid.

Do I like Bass? A lot. He'll still help this team. But he didn't produce even close to how he claimed he would - even when he was healthy. That is certainly not all his fault.

I too would like our players to start backing up the words coming out of their mouths. Maybe Graham will start that trend.

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
Do I like Bass? A lot. He'll still help this team. But he didn't produce even close to how he claimed he would - even when he was healthy. That is certainly not all his fault.

Agreed. It's important to remember that Bass got most of his carries at the beginning of the season, when the O-Line was really struggling. Robinson got most of his carries at the end of the season, when O-Line was really starting to gel.

Don't get me wrong... Robinson was hitting holes with more aggression, breaking more tackles, making more guys miss, and was the better back IMO. However, I think Bass will look better next year behind an O-Line that has been through some battles together.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
Agreed. It's important to remember that Bass got most of his carries at the beginning of the season, when the O-Line was really struggling. Robinson got most of his carries at the end of the season, when O-Line was really starting to gel.

Don't get me wrong... Robinson was hitting holes with more aggression, breaking more tackles, making more guys miss, and was the better back IMO. However, I think Bass will look better next year behind an O-Line that has been through some battles together.

I was just gearing up to post the exact same thing. Definitely can't help but be excited about both Bass and Robinson next year!

Landshark

Jan 23, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Anyone who has watched the movie Rudy knows that in football attitude and hard work trumps pure physical size. Right?:skeptical:

The J.J. Moses' of this world are few and far between. I hope Wallace can put some muscle on and improve next season.

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
One of my buddies is a GA and he said that Bass is the best back. He was only healthy when we were struggling.