Grassley could help ISU

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Doesn't a Texas senator need 50 other senators to back him so that any meaningful arm-twisting legislation that would only benefit the state of Texas could be passed? Or a New York senator? Or a California senator? How does that get done? By making deals with one another. The senate was specifically put in place in order to PREVENT large states like New York, California, and Texas from bullying smaller states like Iowa - it gives all states an equal voice. And considering Grassley has been there a very long time, not only does his presence demand the respect from the rest of the senate, but he probably has collected hundreds of IOUs that perhaps has come time to cash in...

That's great, I'm assuming you realize that for anything to happen he'd have to get the same bill passed in the House as well.

The problem with your argument is that there really isn't that many states that are hurt by expansion, a dozen or so that won't be helped or harmed, and a whole bunch that would actually be helped.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
This is a serious question...if Grassley is going to "help" ISU, what action is within his power that could force an athletic conference (most probably the Big Ten) to add ISU? Doesn't he really need 50 other senators to back him so that any meaningful arm-twisting legislation could be passed?
Sometimes I wonder if you breathe in too much of that Texas air :wink:

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Senator Grassley is the ranking member and former chair of the committee. I'm not sure of the procedural hoops he'd have to jump through, but it would get done. Clout goes a long way in the Senate.

That's true but his party isn't exactly in a position of power. I know his opinion carries a lot of weight in that committee and I guess it would depend on where the other Senators in that committee are from. I mean if they're from Texas, California, Ohio, Michigan, etc he's not going to get very far.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Yeah Right!!! I've got beachfront property in Iowa for sale too. It's an election year!! Nothing will be done before November and you will not hear of this again after November.. Q How do you know when a politician is lying?? A His lips are moving..

Actually this is exactly the type of crap that they will be filling their schedules with the remainder of the year. Stuff that actually matters in the scheme of things, like tax policy, economics, etc will be pushed back. Pointless things (except to fanatics) like steroids in baseball, BCS/conference realignment will actually probably provide these guys with something to do.

Remember, these politicians want to stick their hands in EVERYTHING and likely won't be able to resist if it gains some momentum.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
That's true but his party isn't exactly in a position of power. I know his opinion carries a lot of weight in that committee and I guess it would depend on where the other Senators in that committee are from. I mean if they're from Texas, California, Ohio, Michigan, etc he's not going to get very far.

Since when was the opposing party opposed to siphoning money away from the "evil rich"? :jimlad:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Max Baucus is the Chair and he is from Montana...

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
People will do anything to try to grab some votes.

You do realize that Grassley is a four term incumbent who has won by:

42% in 2004

38% in 1998

32% in 1986

8% in 1980

Given the political climate I realize no one is safe, but Grassley doesn't exactly need to meddle in college athetics to secure votes...

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
Which other senators does Senator Grassley think will assist him this endeavor? If there aren't actually votes (or at least senators pretending that they would vote) to pass legislation that will repeal tax-exempt status for certain things, then it will be summarily dismissed by those whom Senator Grassley is trying to strong-arm.
I think Orrin Hatch could counted immediately. Remember, both Senators are very influential.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Since when was the opposing party opposed to siphoning money away from the "evil rich"? :jimlad:

lol good point and with the way the deficits have been stacking up I guess I shouldn't be surprised by anything congress tries to do to get more moeny (so they can spend it)

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Doesn't a Texas senator need 50 other senators to back him so that any meaningful arm-twisting legislation that would only benefit the state of Texas could be passed? Or a New York senator? Or a California senator? How does that get done? By making deals with one another. The senate was specifically put in place in order to PREVENT large states like New York, California, and Texas from bullying smaller states like Iowa - it gives all states an equal voice. And considering Grassley has been there a very long time, not only does his presence demand the respect from the rest of the senate, but he probably has collected hundreds of IOUs that perhaps has come time to cash in...

Yes, exactly. So you need to convince senators from other states to jeopardize the financial livelihood of the universities in their own state just so you can do a favor for Senator Grassley, and essentially force some conference to take ISU. I think every state has a Division 1 university. In many states, messing with the universities, particulalry in this manner, would be near political suicide.

I hope Senator Grassely has pictures of 50 different senators in bed with someone else's spouse, because that's the only way he has a prayer of pulling in enough votes to help him get ISU into the Big Ten.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Yes, exactly. So you need to convince senators from other states to jeopardize the financial livelihood of the universities in their own state just so you can do a favor for Senator Grassley, and essentially force some conference to take ISU. I think every state has a Division 1 university. In many states, messing with the universities, particulalry in this manner, would be near political suicide.

I hope Senators Grassely has pictures of 50 different senators in bed with someone else's spouse, because that's the only way he has a prayer of pulling in enough votes to help him get ISU into the Big Ten.

Considering Washington, that shouldn't be too hard to get... :jimlad:

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
That's great, I'm assuming you realize that for anything to happen he'd have to get the same bill passed in the House as well.

The problem with your argument is that there really isn't that many states that are hurt by expansion, a dozen or so that won't be helped or harmed, and a whole bunch that would actually be helped.

Basically any university that gets left out of these mega-conferences will be buried in the rubble that is left behind. That includes every university in the Big East that is leftover, the Big XII leftovers, the MAC, Sun Belt, C-USA, WAC, Mountain West, etc.... Every one of those schools will be left out of the exclusive clubs and will suffer severe financial fallouts while the few will gain a tremendous amount of wealth.

While as fans of ISU athletics we also have to keep in mind the economic hits that some of these other smaller schools will absorb and the effects that will come down on the academic side of things which is what colleges are here for in the first place. Congressmen and women of the states where these universities will suffer will not likely sit by and watch these institutions be crushed by the monopolies that these greedy people want to build. There is far more to this expansion crap then just athletics. If allowed to happen this is the type of thing that could take many smaller yet high quality academic universities and turn them into kirkwood level institutions. It won't be allowed to happen IMO.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Basically any university that gets left out of these mega-conferences will be buried in the rubble that is left behind. That includes every university in the Big East that is leftover, the Big XII leftovers, the MAC, Sun Belt, C-USA, WAC, Mountain West, etc.... Every one of those schools will be left out of the exclusive clubs and will suffer severe financial fallouts while the few will gain a tremendous amount of wealth.

While as fans of ISU athletics we also have to keep in mind the economic hits that some of these other smaller schools will absorb and the effects that will come down on the academic side of things which is what colleges are here for in the first place. Congressmen and women of the states where these universities will suffer will not likely sit by and watch these institutions be crushed by the monopolies that these greedy people want to build. There is far more to this expansion crap then just athletics. If allowed to happen this is the type of thing that could take many smaller yet high quality academic universities and turn them into kirkwood level institutions. It won't be allowed to happen IMO.

How do you see expansion hurting the Sun Belt, MAC, C-USA? Those conferences will be in the same place they are now.

Politicians in Ohio aren't going to try and help Ohio U or Akron at the expense of OSU. Western Michigan shouldn't expect much support from the state of Michigan. etc. etc. Can you even get to 25 states where the Senators would be in favor of stopping expansion?

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
How do you see expansion hurting the Sun Belt, MAC, C-USA? Those conferences will be in the same place they are now.

Politicians in Ohio aren't going to try and help Ohio U or Akron at the expense of OSU. Western Michigan shouldn't expect much support from the state of Michigan. etc. etc. Can you even get to 25 states where the Senators would be in favor of stopping expansion?

How will it hurt them? Let's see... when you lump all of the resources that these mega-conferences will have together, then you take their far better academic and research facilities, etc.... There is only so much research money to go around... where do you think it is all going to go?

Ding, ding, ding.... not to universities like Ohio U, Akron.

The bottom line is this.... Take the state of Ohio. Ohio State will make a killing based on increased research grants because of their alliances to the Mega-Big 10. This could effectively create less money for Cincinnati, Ohio U, Akron, Toledo, Kent State, Youngstown State, Cleveland State, etc.... How could any legislator from Ohio support a move that will financially crush as many academic institutions as this will while only benefitting Ohio State? You don't see that being a problem and a problem with their constituents? :confused:

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
How will it hurt them? Let's see... when you lump all of the resources that these mega-conferences will have together, then you take their far better academic and research facilities, etc.... There is only so much research money to go around... where do you think it is all going to go?

Ding, ding, ding.... not to universities like Ohio U, Akron.

The bottom line is this.... Take the state of Ohio. Ohio State will make a killing based on increased research grants because of their alliances to the Mega-Big 10. This could effectively create less money for Cincinnati, Ohio U, Akron, Toledo, Kent State, Youngstown State, Cleveland State, etc.... How could any legislator from Ohio support a move that will financially crush as many academic institutions as this will while only benefitting Ohio State? You don't see that being a problem and a problem with their constituents? :confused:

I guess Harvard, Yale and Princeton had better watch out. They won't be in one of these super conferences so they are screwed:jimlad:

There are so many great academic institutions that suck in big time athletics who will continue to thrive regardless of what happens with expansion.

Take ISU for example. While they could lose some athletic prestige from losing the Big 12 brand (how much depends on where they wind up) the Big 12 did very little for their academic prestige. Even in the worst case scenario where ISU joins the MAC they're still going to be the only store in town so to speak when it comes to ag/engineering. They are going to be ok academically. You know how I know? I went to UNI, a school that is in a worse position athletically than ISU will ever be, yet they had the best accounting program in the state.