Grassley could help ISU

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
What's old Chuck gonna do--"pull the plug" on ISU?

Normally, he wouldn't pi** on ISU if we were on fire--but now he's in a fight for his senate seat and our issue is suddenly interesting to him. Please.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
Matt and Chris -- I know you are both professionals and will do a great job of putting together questions for Senator Grassley if he's able to be on your show.

However, two suggested questions are:

(1) Is it possible to go to Federal Court and suspend the process of conferences expanding in order to explore possible violations of anti-trust laws?; and

(2) Obviously you realize what a large impact conference re-alignment will have on Iowa State University and our state's overall economy. Tens of millions of dollars are at stake over the next decade alone. What do you feel are within your powers to effectively influence the process for a positive outcome for Iowa State University?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
This...lots of money involved and EVERYONE is looking to profit from it.

We'd probably all agree that everyone hates politicians interfering in this business unless and until it is our business that we desperately need politicians to interfere with. If the Texas legislature can shoehorn Baylor into the Big 12, and now possibly into the PAC-10, what's wrong with our delegation representing us? We have two of the most senior and powerful senators in Congress, let's use them!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
How does this help ISU? Getting back at schools after they already left doesn't do **** for us.

Maybe true. This will either make them pay tax or actually become non-profit. The less money involved the better off we are.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
All this conference re-alignment is strictly based on money. I think it's fair game to question their tax status with the type of dollars likely involved with these decisions. But 1 thing I hate hearing is these politicians thinking they have any leverage at all to affect what schools wind up doing. It's all political positioning by them, they have no power or leverage to keep the Big 12 from breaking up or a certain school changing conferences. Anyone who believes that they do are morons that just bought into the political tactic they used to get your attention and support.

I guess I am just a moron then. Because I see the Gov. having power to influence via: 1) Appointed the regents and if they want to stay regents they better follow his vission, 2) If he wants UI's President to vote a certain way and she doesn't he could cut funding from UI in his budget.

As far as the Senators go they are the ones who help the University's get federal funding so if they wanted UI to vote a certain way and the UI didn't they could cut back their funding.

Not saying this would happen, but if I was a political figure I woudl go the routes above.

rdubbs

Feb 12, 2009
Central Iowa
Matt and Chris -- I know you are both professionals and will do a great job of putting together questions for Senator Grassley if he's able to be on your show.

However, two suggested questions are:

(1) Is it possible to go to Federal Court and suspend the process of conferences expanding in order to explore possible violations of anti-trust laws?; and

(2) Obviously you realize what a large impact conference re-alignment will have on Iowa State University and our state's overall economy. Tens of millions of dollars are at stake over the next decade alone. What do you feel are within your powers to effectively influence the process for a positive outcome for Iowa State University?

Cory Coon posts on CF? No way!!!!

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Hate to say it, cause I love Chuck. Quality person, quality family.

But I'll believe it when I see it.

I agree with your point Matt that the number one obstacle for congressional action is the speed with which this all is apparently going to happen. Second is the fact that other representative won't hurt their players in the super conferences.

This will be the hardest part IMO.

I'm pretty sure the Congressmen from SEC country and Texas would be lynched if they even thought about doing that.

I think Chuck will be as successful trying this as the Senator from Utah was in getting a playoff into college football. But if this gets him more votes in November more power to him.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Doesn't Chuck also want the tax break (think it's 80% of gift) donors get from donating to the University Athletic fund (Cyclone Club in our case) to go away? If so, don't think that will help Iowa State much.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I do love the differences in peoples reaction. Culver gets scrutinized while Chuck gets cheered on...

lol. good point. I don't think it's a coincidence that both are up for re-election this year. If Harkin was up he'd be doing the same thing.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
lol. good point. I don't think it's a coincidence that both are up for re-election this year. If Harkin was up he'd be doing the same thing.

Yep, my opinion is no matter what political affiliation a politician may have and they are trying to help our cause then Ill support them, not scrutinize them for trying to help....

but i guess thats too difficult of a concept for some to understand here.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Yep, my opinion is no matter what political affiliation a politician may have and they are trying to help our cause then Ill support them, not scrutinize them for trying to help....

No kidding. Imagine that...elected officials looking out for their constituents and trying to ensure the future well-being of their state. Gasp!

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

I agree...somewhat.

If they actually do try to do something them I'm right with you. I just think it's real easy for someone to say they're going to do something knowing full well that they can't even if they wanted to.