Great Movie Casting "Misses"

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Just read this and had to bring it to light. Apparently when casting First Blood the role of John Rambo was offered to Dustin Hoffman, who turned it down.

There were a lot of actors considered for the role of Rambo. But Dustin Hoffman? All 5'5 and 140 lbs. of him... as John Rambo? That has to be one of the most ridiculous casting suggestions I've ever heard, right up there with Ryan O'Neal as Rocky Balboa.

There are plenty of other great casting "misses" out there, curious if others have found any that they think are particularly egregious.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Just read this and had to bring it to light. Apparently when casting First Blood the role of John Rambo was offered to Dustin Hoffman, who turned it down.

There were a lot of actors considered for the role of Rambo. But Dustin Hoffman? All 5'5 and 140 lbs. of him... as John Rambo? That has to be one of the most ridiculous casting suggestions I've ever heard, right up there with Ryan O'Neal as Rocky Balboa.

There are plenty of other great casting "misses" out there, curious if others have found any that they think are particularly egregious.
Keanu in anything

Reactions: BigTurk

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Ryan Gosling in any film ever.

Ben Affleck " " " "

Jennifer Lopez " " " "

Nicholas Cage " " " "

Helen Mirren as "Catherine the Great".

Peter Weller as "Buckaroo Bonzai".

Bryce Dallas Howard in "Argylle".

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Ok but I'm not talking about actors who were actually cast... I'm talking about roles that ALMOST went to someone who would've been an absolute disaster and likely ruined the appeal of the movie if it had actually happened... like Dustin Hoffman as John Rambo.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008

The pretty well known one is Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly. Of course, he was actually cast in that role so may not be what you're looking for.

Al Pacino as Han Solo, John Travolta as Forrest Gump.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The pretty well known one is Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly. Of course, he was actually cast in that role so may not be what you're looking for.

Al Pacino as Han Solo, John Travolta as Forrest Gump.
Yeah I'd heard of both of those. Woof. Stoltz's fist is still in Back to the Future, in the diner when Marty punches Biff, they didn't re-shoot that after shifting to Michael J. Fox, so it's actually Stoltz's punch.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Will Smith was offered the role of Neo in the matrix

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Charles Grodin turned down The Graduate.... went to Dustin Hoffman instead.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Ok but I'm not talking about actors who were actually cast... I'm talking about roles that ALMOST went to someone who would've been an absolute disaster and likely ruined the appeal of the movie if it had actually happened... like Dustin Hoffman as John Rambo.

The list of actors offered the John McClane part in Die Hard was long before Bruce Willis got it. Willis at the time was a comedy guy and had done one movie that wasnt an action flick. But I cant imagine anyone else playing that part.

The list included:
Ahnold
Sly
Frank Sinatra (actually true)
Richard Gere
Clint Eastwood
James Caan
Mel Gibson

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Tom Sellick as Indiana Jones
Jean Claude Van Dam as The Predator
I could actually see Tom Selleck as Indiana Jones. He made a pretty similar movie (action/adventure) when he did High Road to China. It's still one of my favorite movies of his. That and Quigley Down Under. He also did 9 Jesse Stone movies that I enjoyed, though I think I've only seen four or five of them.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I had heard Will Smith was offered Django. Much better with Jamie Foxx

Reactions: CYCLNST8

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
The list of actors offered the John McClane part in Die Hard was long before Bruce Willis got it. Willis at the time was a comedy guy and had done one movie that wasnt an action flick. But I cant imagine anyone else playing that part.

The list included:
Ahnold
Sly
Frank Sinatra (actually true)
Richard Gere
Clint Eastwood
James Caan
Mel Gibson
They went through a few guys before they finally cast Matt LeBlanc as Joey in Friends, too. Hank Azaria, Vince Vaughn and Louis Mandylor. There were even more people who auditioned for the role of Rachel, but I don't feel like listing them all.