Great puzzle-platform adventure games

ISUinOR

Nov 8, 2007
Portland, OR
Another new thread made me want to ask for recommendations about puzzle-platform, adventure, horror/survival games. Any similar style games you would recommend? I'm on Xbox One. (I know, I'm old)

I prefer to play games that make me think and strategize, that provide me some occasional scares and excitement. I'm not a big fan of the strictly 1st person/3rd person shooter games. There are a lot of "rankings" lists, but some don't seem to match the rating.

Here are some of my favorites:
  • Alien: Isolation
  • Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Limbo
  • Inside
  • Prey
  • Little Nightmares
  • Little Nightmares II (Just started playing this a couple days ago)
  • Unravel (mellow, low-stress puzzle-platform game)

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Another new thread made me want to ask for recommendations about puzzle-platform, adventure, horror/survival games. Any similar style games you would recommend? I'm on Xbox One. (I know, I'm old)

I prefer to play games that make me think and strategize, that provide me some occasional scares and excitement. I'm not a big fan of the strictly 1st person/3rd person shooter games. There are a lot of "rankings" lists, but some don't seem to match the rating.

• Limbo
  • Inside
  • Prey
  • Little Nightmares
Have you tried Hollow Knight?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Dead cells is an action platformer that mixes in Metroid-vania and roguelite elements. It's incredibly addictive.

Neon Abyss is a roguelite platformer shooter that's very colorful and fun.

And technically Hades isn't a platformer, but it fits in this category, and is one of the best games to come out in the last few years.

ISUinOR

Nov 8, 2007
Portland, OR
Dead cells is an action platformer that mixes in Metroid-vania and roguelite elements. It's incredibly addictive.

Neon Abyss is a roguelite platformer shooter that's very colorful and fun.

And technically Hades isn't a platformer, but it fits in this category, and is one of the best games to come out in the last few years.

Good suggestions. Does all of the excessive action/motion/movement on the screen in Neon Abyss and Hades wear you out when playing? Too much going on on the screen at once can make it distracting to me.

OscarBerkshire

Jul 14, 2022
Waterloo
it takes two is the best coop game i have ever played and is all puzzles and platforming. my gf, who is only nominally interested in video games, also enjoys it a lot.

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
Have you tried Hollow Knight?
This is likely the top suggestion. Essentially a harder Ori but much more content. I normally like easier games but Hollow Knight is great. Although I've taken a break from it recently. Artwork and OST are top notch much like Ori.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Good suggestions. Does all of the excessive action/motion/movement on the screen in Neon Abyss and Hades wear you out when playing? Too much going on on the screen at once can make it distracting to me.
Probably a case by case basis, but it's never really bothered me.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I played Hades and could see where it would be really fun, but too much going on for me. I'm definitely leaning toward the slower paced things in my old age.

This one look like it would be really cool and has gotten great reviews:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/881100/Noita/

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Second on both Hollow Knight and Hades. Hollow Knight is a great Metroidvania with an expansive world to explore and plenty of lore to uncover. Hades is an awesome rogue-lite with a super fun action/combat cycle and wonderful versions of characters from Greek mythology. Both also have sequels that are due out next year!

I would also highly recommend Tunic. It is a 3D Isometric game that pays strong homage to the old 2D Zelda games. The art style is adorable and the music is really soothing and ethereal. The best part is the Game Manual mechanic, where you collect scattered pages of the game manual throughout the world to uncover secrets and hints to hidden puzzles.

Last edited:
Reactions: tim_redd

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Also, I have heard fantastic things about Metroid: Dread if you have a Switch. I have it on my to-play list, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: GBlade

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines

• Limbo
  • Inside
  • Prey
  • Little Nightmares
Star Wars: Fallen Order is on Gamepass right now and exceptional. i highly recommend it.

it is suprsingly similar to some of these platformers with the map continuing to open up as you gain new abilities. and the puzzles are also great.