Greatest "B" side recordings ever

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Early Weezer was the tail end of the b-side era. Susanne was the b-side to Undone (The Sweater Song). The soaring doo wop vocals and grungy rhythm guitar were as tight as anything on the Blue Album and the lyrics tell a great story from the days just before the band broke. One of the best examples of their early sound.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I'm surprised no one has brought up the Beatles yet. I'm not a huge Beatles fan either, but they had some pretty big hits from the B side, including, but not limited to, Yellow Submarine and Penny Lane. Again, not a big Beatles fan, so I might be wrong about this.
Just a sampling of what the Beatles put out on their B sides:

I Am The Walrus was the B side of Hello, Goodbye.

Day Tripper was the B side of We Can Work It Out.

Revolution was the B side of Hey, Jude.

Come Together was the B side of Something.

And yes, Penny Lane and Yellow Submarine were B sides (of Strawberry Fields Forever and Eleanor Rigby, respectively).

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Early Weezer was the tail end of the b-side era. Susanne was the b-side to Undone (The Sweater Song). The soaring doo wop vocals and grungy rhythm guitar were as tight as anything on the Blue Album and the lyrics tell a great story from the days just before the band broke. One of the best examples of their early sound.

Hell yeah, I forgot this was a B-side. It's a great song

Reactions: HOTDON

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I'm surprised no one has brought up the Beatles yet. I'm not a huge Beatles fan either, but they had some pretty big hits from the B side, including, but not limited to, Yellow Submarine and Penny Lane. Again, not a big Beatles fan, so I might be wrong about this.
Pretty much 80 percent of their B sides were equal to or better than the A-side. This was the B-side to Paperback Writer.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Just a sampling of what the Beatles put out on their B sides:

I Am The Walrus was the B side of Hello, Goodbye.

Day Tripper was the B side of We Can Work It Out.

Revolution was the B side of Hey, Jude.

Come Together was the B side of Something.

And yes, Penny Lane and Yellow Submarine were B sides (of Strawberry Fields Forever and Eleanor Rigby, respectively).

Good roundup.

Formally, Eleanor Rigby/Submarine & Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane were double-A-side releases.

Reactions: KidSilverhair

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Most won't know this song, but I know there are a few Mats fans out there that would appreciate this. It was a B-side that didn't make it on an album, but has become a fan favorite.

On the Mats front, I've always thought that version of "Can't Hardly Wait" that was recorded for Tim, but ultimately scrapped, was better than the version that ended up on Pleased To Meet Me.

"If Only You Were Lonely" is probably the first blatantly country influenced Mats songs. They were incredibly influential on the alt-country bands that started a few years after they called it quits, and this is sort of the genesis of that IMO.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Returning to Creedence Clearwater Revival, mentioned by @MuskieCy and @MeanDean (I can’t seem to multi-quote).

Several CCR 45s were considered double-A-side, esp. during the “Willy and the Poor Boys” and “Cosmo’s Factory” sessions.

I won’t attempt to distinguish here (so I don't risk inaccuracy — that would be embarrassing!) ... A broader picture: Here are singles released July 1969-January 1971.

Each of these included at least one top 10 hit in U.S., and all but the last couplet had a top-5. Dazzling.

Proud Mary / Born on the Bayou
Bad Moon Rising / Lodi
Green River / Commotion
Down on the Corner / Fortunate Son
Who’ll Stop the Rain / Travelin’ Band
Up Around the Bend / Run Through the Jungle
Lookin’ Out My Back Door / Long as I Can See the Light
Have You Ever Seen the Rain / Hey Tonight