Greatest "B" side recordings ever

Dale

Mar 5, 2010
Chicagoland
The B-side to the Doobie Brothers' "Another Park, Another Sunday," a minor hit, was "Black Water", which started gaining enough radio traction that they released "Black Water" again, this time as the A-side -- where it was a #1 hit.

Reactions: cyclones500

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
For those who might like the sound of late 60's sound of psychedelic rock, here's a B side from the Blues Magoos. One thing I like about this group is that they would sometimes abruptly change tempos in the middle of a song (as they do here at about 1:10 and again near the end). It made them sound a bit out of control but I don't think they were.

Last edited:

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Love The Black Crowes. Their version of Hard to Handle is an undeniable jam. While the b-side Waitin Guilty isn't anything special, the acoustic version of Jealous Again used on the international single deserve a spot here.

Back to the topic at hand the original recording of Hard to Handle by Otis Redding was a b-side to his hit Amen. The Black Crowes aren't short on soul themselves, but they can't match the original.

Reactions: matclone

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
According to something I read on the internet (so it must be right), Wipe Out was created as a B-side for Surfer Joe but early on proved to be the Surfari's only big hit:

Another internet source said that the Righteous Brothers' Unchained Melody was a B-side for Hung On You:

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm surprised no one has brought up the Beatles yet. I'm not a huge Beatles fan either, but they had some pretty big hits from the B side, including, but not limited to, Yellow Submarine and Penny Lane. Again, not a big Beatles fan, so I might be wrong about this.

Penny Lane / Strawberry Fields Forever was a "Double A Side"

• Agree

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm surprised no one has brought up the Beatles yet. I'm not a huge Beatles fan either, but they had some pretty big hits from the B side, including, but not limited to, Yellow Submarine and Penny Lane. Again, not a big Beatles fan, so I might be wrong about this.

I'm sure many here hate Oasis but they'd use some of their best songs as a B side and never put them on an album, then the album "The Masterplan" that came out a few years after their big albums is a collection of those. Very intentional homage to the Beatles. The Beatles "Yesterday and today" and "Past Masters" albums were basically the same thing but more prolific.

The two best, one of which is very Beatles-ish:

• Love
Reactions: cyguy9320

Help Support Us

Become a patron