Greg McDermott 1-11 Q&A

clonetil01

Nov 23, 2009
Once you start worrying about what the fans want as a coach, you are no longer a coach but a talking head. If what you are saying is true, then Mac needs to do his thing, not ours. I think that is what has gotten him into a little trouble. Instead of being hard on some guys, he has let them go undisciplined in order for them to not transfer. Wes Johnson started that IMO.

So does that include the lack of fundamentals on the court as well. Rebounding, free thow %, a PLAN on offense, defensive intensity, taking care of the basketball. I don't really care if he wants to kick someone off for whatever he wants, but at least teach these guys the game of basketball. We just about got beat NDSU, DID ANYONE WATCH THAT???? It looked like we were playing Gus Macker and we were the team of good players that just got thrown together and they were a group of clearly less talented guys that were actually coached and had a plan. This has been the case all year against anyone halfway decent. THen the quote from McD about hoping to HANG with them???? What in the world???? Okay, Texas is awesome but are we not playing this game to win, how about THAT expectation. I guess we can understand why we don't beat ranked teams.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
I have a feeling that Colvin was a lot closer to being kicked off the team completely than what we think. His comment at the very beginning of that answer tells me there was a lot of doubt to whether he should be a Cyclone or not.

Unfortunately my gut feeling is that Colvin will be gone after this year. He has to say and do the right things until March or he won't have very many options, but I can see him wanting to look at Illinois or Marquette or somewhere else. After all, none of the issues he has with the ISU basketball program are going to go away next year.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I would say Mac's comments pretty much summed up what some here have been saying. Craig needs to get more aggressive, the other guys need to do a better job of moving without the ball, and that we really miss Ham.

The good news for us is that there still is a lot of room for potential improvement. Hopefully the staff can coach them up.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
So does that include the lack of fundamentals on the court as well. Rebounding, free thow %, a PLAN on offense, defensive intensity, taking care of the basketball. I don't really care if he wants to kick someone off for whatever he wants, but at least teach these guys the game of basketball. We just about got beat NDSU, DID ANYONE WATCH THAT???? It looked like we were playing Gus Macker and we were the team of good players that just got thrown together and they were a group of clearly less talented guys that were actually coached and had a plan. This has been the case all year against anyone halfway decent. THen the quote from McD about hoping to HANG with them???? What in the world???? Okay, Texas is awesome but are we not playing this game to win, how about THAT expectation. I guess we can understand why we don't beat ranked teams.

Did you see BFs tweet yesterday? I am going to go with his word. If you didn't see it look it up. I think some of you guys are giving the players too much credit. Does the majority fall on Mac, yes, however, I really don't see a great effort from these guys. By the time you get to college, you know how to rebound for crying out loud. It is a matter of boxing out and going to get the ball. **** I don't even care if you box out just go get the ball. I don't see anyone flat out going after the ball. Mac can only do so much on that subject.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Unfortunately my gut feeling is that Colvin will be gone after this year. He has to say and do the right things until March or he won't have very many options, but I can see him wanting to look at Illinois or Marquette or somewhere else. After all, none of the issues he has with the ISU basketball program are going to go away next year.
His problems like not being able to beat out a junior (DG) as a freshman. You think he is going to start for Marquette, I doubt it.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
His problems like not being able to beat out a junior (DG) as a freshman. You think he is going to start for Marquette, I doubt it.

No, I don't think Colvin's going to start for Marquette. But Colvin might, if he looks at it from a grass is always greener somewhere else point of view.