Grinnell College player sets NCAA Assist Record

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
I played against him back in AAU league when we use to play them quite a bit being they were only 15 minutes from newton. He wasn't that good I thought when we played them back then. Most of the kids that play on that Grinnell team hardly played basketball in high school. I had a few buddies go to Arsenault's Grinnell basketball camp, and for the first hour I believe all they did was shoot 3-pointers. Very different pace of basketball game, but fun nonetheless and always makes for an entertaining game if you have the time to go to one! I encourage you all to go, and see a entertaining, amazing, fast pace, different game of basketball. Games are free to go to, and you'd be in aw.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
They play Rock and Jock basketball. Doesn't do a thing for me, it's like a really low level Loyola Marymount from the early 90's

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
They may not play "traditional" basketball, but it's still pretty impressive.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
If he played for Iowa State or Iowa this year, there could have been a record for probably about 28 blown assists.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I remember watching Grinnell play a few years ago, and it was exciting to watch when they were hot, otherwise it was just a bunch of missed three's. I believe at one point during a game they were down by 10 pts or so and within 2 minutes they were up by 20. Very fast and fun.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Dave, we should get some people together and go watch sometime. I've never been over there to watch.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Thats very surprising that he was able to get that many assists, typical Grinnell basketball has them using pretty much the entire bench and a full lineup of subs every 2-5 minutes.

CycloneTony

Nov 3, 2007
Indianola
Grinnell College

From ESPN:

DES MOINES, Iowa -- The points kept coming, and so did the assists.

David N. Arseneault shattered the NCAA assists record when he had 34 in Grinnell College's 151-112 win over North Central University of Minnesota in a Division III game Saturday. He made a total of 86 passes.

The previous high of 26 was set in 1989 by Robert James of Division III Kean University. The Division I record of 22 was achieved by three players, including current Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson at Southern in 1988 and Sherman Douglas of Syracuse in 1989.

Grinnell, in central Iowa, is known for a unique style of play that includes rotating five players in and out as often as possible, pressing the entire game and shooting more than 50 3-pointers.

On Saturday, coach David M. Arseneault, the guard's father, planned to take a different tack by playing two of his best offensive players, John Grotberg and Keith Chamberlain, in 10-minute shifts to see how many points they could score.

When Arseneault had 14 assists by halftime, the team shifted its focus.

Arseneault, Grinnell's career leader in assists, broke the mark with 7:33 left to play.

"I didn't even think it was possible. That's just so many assists that I thought there was no way," Arseneault said. "I had fun during every minute of the game."

Grotberg finished with 49 points, going 14-of-38 from 3-point range, and Chamberlain finished with 39 points and 14 rebounds.

Arseneault had 22 points and doubled his previous career high for assists. His father felt the total could have been higher, noting the Pioneers were just 23-of-86 from 3-point range off passes from his son.

"We didn't shoot the ball all that well yesterday," the coach said.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press