Group cruise thought

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
This is Iowa State fan related but figured I would put it in this bucket just incase.
Anyway, my wife and I take cruises pretty consistently (3 or 4 times a year) so I am curious if anyone knows of any group cruises with Iowa State fans that have happened in the past or are going to happen in the future? We are looking for a bit of variety and enjoyed a different group cruise late lest year. As such, we are now more interested in using cruising more socially and in groups as the destinations we haven't been too are diminishing. If anyone knows of a group of Iowa State group cruisers I would like to link up with them to see where they are going and if we can take part.

If nothing like this has happened before or is not the next couple years. I might look into creating one but if that is the case I would be interested to know if there are others that would even be interested.

Thanks all.

Reactions: nrg4isu

Bigblock

Nov 16, 2013
This is Iowa State fan related but figured I would put it in this bucket just incase.
Anyway, my wife and I take cruises pretty consistently (3 or 4 times a year) so I am curious if anyone knows of any group cruises with Iowa State fans that have happened in the past or are going to happen in the future? We are looking for a bit of variety and enjoyed a different group cruise late lest year. As such, we are now more interested in using cruising more socially and in groups as the destinations we haven't been too are diminishing. If anyone knows of a group of Iowa State group cruisers I would like to link up with them to see where they are going and if we can take part.

If nothing like this has happened before or is not the next couple years. I might look into creating one but if that is the case I would be interested to know if there are others that would even be interested.

Thanks all.
The Iowa State Alumni does them. We are doing Barcelona to Rome this April. I had asked in the forum before doing it to get other people's views, but no one who had been on one had responded. I will report back after the cruise.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Not gone on any of these but get the catalogs and flyers all of the time.

travel.jpg

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Serious question - What is it about a cruise that appeals to you?
Beat way I can describe my interest in cruising is its a sample plate before I dedicate full vacations to single places.

For us, I get rather bored in a single location so spending a week in Oahu sounds tedious. Not to mention the stress of renting a car and getting around some place I am unfamiliar with. Or figuring out an extended trip to the Philippines.

With cruising the trip to the location is relaxing in that I dont have to think about rest stops and what not like if I drove. When I get to the port I can go and do something for the day and then come back. I just hop on a plane and go to a cruise port then shut my planning brain down for a week or two.

Then I go to somewhere else having not had to drive and coordinate travel add in excursions and I get to do things I wouldnt do on my own without some level of a headache or having to figure out the excursion vendors for each place.

Plus if I just want to go be lazy on a beach for two days with a smaller crowd of people I hop on an MSC ship and dont have to deal with crowds.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I think it was the last year for Monte Morris and the boys when we were in the Big12 tourney and the games were on ESPN2. We were on a cruise and it was either the semi's or finals and the cruise ship actually had ESPN & ESPN2 so we sat and watched the game from a bar. It would have been awesome to have had 40 or 50 Clones in there to watch the game with.
(side note, we did happen to meet a couple sitting next to us that just happened to be from SE Iowa. They were Hawk fans but they were pretty good sports and cheered for the good guys)

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Beat way I can describe my interest in cruising is its a sample plate before I dedicate full vacations to single places.

For us, I get rather bored in a single location so spending a week in Oahu sounds tedious. Not to mention the stress of renting a car and getting around some place I am unfamiliar with. Or figuring out an extended trip to the Philippines.

With cruising the trip to the location is relaxing in that I dont have to think about rest stops and what not like if I drove. When I get to the port I can go and do something for the day and then come back. I just hop on a plane and go to a cruise port then shut my planning brain down for a week or two.

Then I go to somewhere else having not had to drive and coordinate travel add in excursions and I get to do things I wouldnt do on my own without some level of a headache or having to figure out the excursion vendors for each place.

Plus if I just want to go be lazy on a beach for two days with a smaller crowd of people I hop on an MSC ship and dont have to deal with crowds.

Thanks and that makes sense. Like I said I was just curious. The wife and I had discussed it but we don't like the idea of being rushed when you stop at an island for a day. I think we prefer to just stick to our all inclusive a resort trips.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Thanks and that makes sense. Like I said I was just curious. The wife and I had discussed it but we don't like the idea of being rushed when you stop at an island for a day. I think we prefer to just stick to our all inclusive a resort trips.

I've never done a cruise but that is my feeling as well. I want to be able to stay and enjoy a place and not be rushed.

I do like the idea of sampling a bunch of places before going, but I have enough places I know I want to go it's not necessary.

It reminds me of the last time we were in Cozumel. That little main area all the cruise ships dock are just madness and chaos of people. All rushing to try and get stuff in to be back at a certain time. I feel like all they get from each location is force fed by people just looking to take more of their money. I liked being able to go around the island. Food was so much better too when you got of the tourist trap port area.

Reactions: legi and isufbcurt

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
We travel to get AWAY from people we know, not to be around them even more. Likewise, we’re not fun so cruises sound horrible.

But, if that’s your gig, I can see why people like it.

• Winner
Reactions: NoCreativity

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
However themed cruises sound fun. I know some podcasts do it. Or like the 311 cruise.

I think it'd be cool to hang with a bunch of clone fans for a week. A floating tailgate.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I prefer all-inclusive.

What day is speedo day?

The correct answer is......
Every day is Speedo day!

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I think it was the last year for Monte Morris and the boys when we were in the Big12 tourney and the games were on ESPN2. We were on a cruise and it was either the semi's or finals and the cruise ship actually had ESPN & ESPN2 so we sat and watched the game from a bar. It would have been awesome to have had 40 or 50 Clones in there to watch the game with.
(side note, we did happen to meet a couple sitting next to us that just happened to be from SE Iowa. They were Hawk fans but they were pretty good sports and cheered for the good guys)
We were on the Carnival Breeze during this same week and watched the tournament games from the pub. I remember it was the year TCU beat KU in the quarterfinals and I knew we had a shot. We beat WVU in the finals and that was when Deonte Burton had that monster alley oop dunk in the last minutes of the game.

There were a few people that walked up and watched the games with us off and on, it was fun.

Reactions: CyHans