Grout in a mud-set shower...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Just moved into our newly built home in CoSprings (it's awesome out here btw) and we have a minor grout gap. It's on the builder's punch list, but curious if it's a true issue.

Typical mud-set 2" tiles and grouted. There are 2 small gaps in the grout - visible to the naked eye but definitely not THAT big - maybe a few millimeters. We haven't sealed the grout yet, so after a shower, you see those 2 little spots since they are the last to dry based on the discoloration. In MY mind this just provides a moisture nook that can lead to evil things... Am I overreacting or do we potentially have a moisture problem if left grouted/unsealed?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
tenor.gif

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Just moved into our newly built home in CoSprings (it's awesome out here btw) and we have a minor grout gap. It's on the builder's punch list, but curious if it's a true issue.

Typical mud-set 2" tiles and grouted. There are 2 small gaps in the grout - visible to the naked eye but definitely not THAT big - maybe a few millimeters. We haven't sealed the grout yet, so after a shower, you see those 2 little spots since they are the last to dry based on the discoloration. In MY mind this just provides a moisture nook that can lead to evil things... Am I overreacting or do we potentially have a moisture problem if left grouted/unsealed?
I’ve dabbled in things like this but am no expert. My thought is that it will only get worse. It’s not gonna ruin anything right away but water + time = problem$. I don’t know the exact route to go with fixing it or how much would need to be addressed without seeing it but I would fix it.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I’ve dabbled in things like this but am no expert. My thought is that it will only get worse. It’s not gonna ruin anything right away but water + time = problem$. I don’t know the exact route to go with fixing it or how much would need to be addressed without seeing it but I would fix it.

Brand new house and seems like the thing to do to protect for the long-haul. The fix is/should be free as it's still part of the new house acceptance policy...

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
It's takes like 5 minutes to mix up a tiny amount of grout. A small can of the powder is like 5 bucks. Wipe it clean about 30 minutes later with a sponge or rag.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

Just get some sanded caulking for tiles. Match it as close the color as possible and smear it on. Seal as per usual.

Also should be covered in your warranty.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

Are the "gaps" just a discoloration? If that's the case, and your grout has cured more than 48 hours, wait until it's all dry and just go ahead and seal it. If they are open gaps, find a color match at the box store, mix it up and dab it in with a sponge. Then wait at least 48 hours to seal. Also, when you state typical "mud-set", is that just the the tiles set in mortar on top of a substrate, or did the installer do a "hot set" where he forms a pan with a wet mud deck mixture, and set the tiles right in the mud before it dries?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Are the "gaps" just a discoloration? If that's the case, and your grout has cured more than 48 hours, wait until it's all dry and just go ahead and seal it. If they are open gaps, find a color match at the box store, mix it up and dab it in with a sponge. Then wait at least 48 hours to seal. Also, when you state typical "mud-set", is that just the the tiles set in mortar on top of a substrate, or did the installer do a "hot set" where he forms a pan with a wet mud deck mixture, and set the tiles right in the mud before it dries?

Yikes - I wouldn't know the difference but I'd GUESS it's the hot-set version based on the sloping of the floor? Just for context, I hired a guy to hang my Ring doorbell... "Handy" is not my middle name but sometimes "Handsy" applies...

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Is there NOTHING Flex seal can't do??? Phil picks up where ShamWow leaves off....

Had a buddy that had a ****** half flip type of house and he used it to seal off the chimney on the roof. The **** actually worked pretty well.

Before the “do it right” crowd comes in, he bought if from a methhead in Marshalltown (shocking I know) and sold it a year later for no more than he put into it.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Yikes - I wouldn't know the difference but I'd GUESS it's the hot-set version based on the sloping of the floor? Just for context, I hired a guy to hang my Ring doorbell... "Handy" is not my middle name but sometimes "Handsy" applies...

Sorry. Just should have asked when your house was built. The "hot set" method was used in older homes before all the pre-fab(tile board/ul) existed. Had to become learned in that method because some people want their older home truly restored i.e. no drywall for plaster, no copper pipes/pex for galvanized pipe. And this is the way they used to do many applications.

Help Support Us

Become a patron