Gun Enthusiasts: Please advise

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
For concealed carry the best weapon is the one you have when you need it. So comfort and ease of carry is one of the the biggest concerns. For that reason the 2" 38 double action hammerless is a favorite of mine but I also have a North American 22 Magnum I carry in my pocket and no matter what I am wearing or where I am I can conceal it easily.

Step one: have gun!

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Welcome to the thread. Good information. I agree that "knock down power" is a myth. Shot placement is the answer - you've got to be either good or lucky and get penetration where you need it (TWSS?). I remember reading a statistic that the .22 has killed the most people of all handgun rounds.

You are right the 22 caliber does kill more people each year than any other caliber and that is because it has enough energy to go into the body but not enough to make it out and while it is in there it is bouncing around causing alot of internal damage.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
You are right the 22 caliber does kill more people each year than any other caliber and that is because it has enough energy to go into the body but not enough to make it out and while it is in there it is bouncing around causing alot of internal damage.

Even if that stat is true (linK?) I'd wager it would be because of the sheer numbers of people who are shot (purpose or accidental) with a .22 than its inherent qualities.

At the bare minimum it is not anywhere close to a good self defense round, unless its being used on rats or snakes. The purpose of a self-defense shot is to stop the threat, not to have them bleed out days later.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Even if that stat is true (linK?) I'd wager it would be because of the sheer numbers of people who are shot (purpose or accidental) with a .22 than its inherent qualities.

At the bare minimum it is not anywhere close to a good self defense round, unless its being used on rats or snakes. The purpose of a self-defense shot is to stop the threat, not to have them bleed out days later.
I think the .22 was the weapon of choice for the mafia, but that was under controlled conditions most of the time I'd bet. Not the same as a home intrusion.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

Hollowpoints, yo! Golden Bullet FTW!

10047068.jpg

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Erroneous. Spring life is dictated by number of cycles, not duration of applied force.

I spent most of my pre- and teen years working in my father's gunshop.You are absolutely correct sir. Same can be said for the necessity of dry-firing a weapon to release the pressure on the hammer spring. You have a chance of damaging (ie breaking) the firing pin if you dry-fire often enough.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I do not need weapons. My two gun rights neighbors told me they have the neighborhood covered. Just in case of the Walking Dead.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
All this talk about guns makes me want to go shoot something!!

Maybe this warrants a new thread, but where do you Des Moines guys go to shoot? Any nearby public ranges you'd recommend?
As far a I know, there aren't any ranges that are real close to West Des Moines.

I don't mind Olofson's but it can get a little crowded depending on when you go. I've never been to Banner down in Indianola, but have heard good things. There is an Isaac Walton League range near Elkhart, but you have to me a member. Also, I've heard there is a range in Ames, but I believe you have to be a member there, as well.

Last edited:

CyLoboClone

Oct 15, 2009
Albuquerque
Speaking of 22s. I want a Walther p22 and I already have a 30 year old ruger mk 3? .22. I am not going into match shooting, just looking for a bas(***) .22 that is cheap to shoot and hi cap capability without looking like my ruger.

I used to have a glock 45 but I don't think they make a .22- otherwise that would be a nice find for me.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Ok so I bought a gun thanks to all of the info in this thread. What kind of carrying case should I get. I need one big enough to carry the gun, plastic bags, and a small bottle of bleach. Thank in advance.

Row55

Feb 21, 2009
Hollowpoints, yo! Golden Bullet FTW!

10047068.jpg

I usually shoot these in my Ruger 10/22 rifle with no problem. However, once I shot at a squirrel about 1/3 of the way up a tree trunk. He ran up to the top of the tree, so I figured I missed. Managed to find him in my scope and got him with a head shot. As I was cleaning him I learned I'd actually hit him the first time also - his shoulder was basically bone chips and hamburger. How the hell he managed to climb the tree in that shape I have no idea, it had to have been like a human taking an anti-tank round.:confused:

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Ok so I bought a gun thanks to all of the info in this thread. What kind of carrying case should I get. I need one big enough to carry the gun, plastic bags, and a small bottle of bleach. Thank in advance.

I'd advise against carrying the bleach and the gun in the same case. Spill some bleach on the gun, could be in for a bad time! Keep those guys separate!

Also, I opt for the thick contractor roll of polyethylene sheeting instead of a plastic bag, as the bags generally aren't thick enough for my liking. :wideeyed:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I'd advise against carrying the bleach and the gun in the same case. Spill some bleach on the gun, could be in for a bad time! Keep those guys separate!

Also, I opt for the thick contractor roll of polyethylene sheeting instead of a plastic bag, as the bags generally aren't thick enough for my liking. :wideeyed:

See, this is why I come to you folks!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron