Gym membership in Ankeny

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
Recently I moved to Ankeny and have started to look for a new gym, does anyone have any info on the different places in Ankeny, like how expensive or when they are busy/not busy? Any info is appreciated!

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
I am moving there this weekend and would like the same information. I have been looking at the YMCA because of the basketball court but its $52 a month.

dgwyer44

Jun 26, 2015
I'll chime in on the YMCA and tell you that the current setup is pretty lame. You have to share a weight room with the kids at Northview and for $52 a month its a little ridiculous. I'd suggest joining the new one by Jethros near DMACC.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I'll chime in on the YMCA and tell you that the current setup is pretty lame. You have to share a weight room with the kids at Northview and for $52 a month its a little ridiculous. I'd suggest joining the new one by Jethros near DMACC.

Also, the Y's equipment is pretty old. We went there because we got it for dirt cheap through my wife's job, but I would never EVER pay $52 a month. I will say that the Y does offer quite a few classes that are pretty good, and are free with your membership. I know awhile ago the Y in Ankeny was looking at getting their own facility out by DMACC/Prairie Trail, but I believe I heard that fell through.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Also, the Y's equipment is pretty old. We went there because we got it for dirt cheap through my wife's job, but I would never EVER pay $52 a month. I will say that the Y does offer quite a few classes that are pretty good, and are free with your membership. I know awhile ago the Y in Ankeny was looking at getting their own facility out by DMACC/Prairie Trail, but I believe I heard that fell through.

I believe the company out by jethros is the same company that runs Ames Rac and fitness and thats also $52 a month. But I am looking for a place to play basketball, and that seems to be the only place in ankeny

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I believe the company out by jethros is the same company that runs Ames Rac and fitness and thats also $52 a month. But I am looking for a place to play basketball, and that seems to be the only place in ankeny

We had an Ankeny Y membership (family) for a couple years in part because I love playing bball and the Wednesday/Sunday night pick up games there are pretty good. I tore up my ankle last year and got the wife prego so we let the membership last but there are ways you can get discounts. She helped for 3 hrs a week there in their childcare, got paid ~6$/hr (i think) but also that knocked our family rate from something like $75/mo to ~15$/mo. She enjoyed the classes there also.

Now that we've had the kid and my ankle is finally better, we're going to get a membership somewhere again and will likely go back to the Y.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

It did fall through. Too bad the Y didn't buy Dahls, perfect spot and big parking lot. Would have to have an Engineer figure out how they could remove some posts and shore it up for basketball areas but they could have had plenty of room inside to install a pool, exercise equipment, etc.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I got a month membership yesterday there. 33 a month if you are in college.

A week pass is 10 bucks. Why not buy them continuously unless you can't do that.

dgwyer44

Jun 26, 2015
It did fall through. Too bad the Y didn't buy Dahls, perfect spot and big parking lot. Would have to have an Engineer figure out how they could remove some posts and shore it up for basketball areas but they could have had plenty of room inside to install a pool, exercise equipment, etc.

A YMCA with a Taco Bell in the parking lot was out of the question.

Help Support Us

Become a patron