Gymnastics Win

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Old timers remember when Ed Gagnier took ISU (men) to three NCAA titles in the early 70's. KJ Kindler showed promise of taking ISU (women) back to a title until hired away by OU. Coach Ronayne has had some glimmer, but we've fallen way short of past glory. It's promising that ISU beat No. 5 Denver Pioneers 196.050-195.850 and Addy De Jesus got a 10.0, only the fourth 10 in ISU history. Nicely done, ladies.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Wow. This is fantastic. I saw the last 10 scored by ISU. Thrilled to hear that it happened again.

It will be a long month waiting for the next home meet.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
De Jesus was a great transfer get for this team. You can say what you want about Ronayne, but his recruiting has definitely upgraded in recent years.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
My kids gymnastics coach is Janet Anson former Cyclone All American. Think she is going into the ISU HoF this year? Anyway, she is a great coach and my daughter loves her. Don't get a ton of gymnastics threads on here to brag about it lol.

OKClones

Dec 12, 2019
What has Ronayne done? We aren't even close to where we were with Kindler. He's been our coach for how many years now and most we haven't even been close to Top 20.

Reactions: BenEClone

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
What has Ronayne done? We aren't even close to where we were with Kindler. He's been our coach for how many years now and most we haven't even been close to Top 20.
Agree, that's why the Denver win and De Jesus' recruiting is seen as hopefull.

OKClones

Dec 12, 2019
Love your optimism BenEClone but 15 years tells the story. I root for every Iowa State sport and that means every non revenue sport TOO. A couple sports we've had rich traditions in have been left to die. Wrestling fortunately thanks to Dresser wanting to come back to Iowa is on its way back. Gymnastics I don't have your optimism but we'll see. Great job DeJesus and the rest of the team in the Denver meet.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
My kids gymnastics coach is Janet Anson former Cyclone All American. Think she is going into the ISU HoF this year? Anyway, she is a great coach and my daughter loves her. Don't get a ton of gymnastics threads on here to brag about it lol.

Love hearing someone talk about Janet Anson today in the same way that we have talked about her for 15 years since she coached our daughter in Cardinal Gymnastics. She was great.

Does anyone know if there was a public recognition of her being inducted in the 2020 class of the Iowa State Hall of Fame? It was scheduled for a home football game weekend, but obviously that didn't happen.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Love hearing someone talk about Janet Anson today in the same way that we have talked about her for 15 years since she coached our daughter in Cardinal Gymnastics. She was great.

Does anyone know if there was a public recognition of her being inducted in the 2020 class of the Iowa State Hall of Fame? It was scheduled for a home football game weekend, but obviously that didn't happen.

I DM'ed you back! She is great!

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Old timers remember when Ed Gagnier took ISU (men) to three NCAA titles in the early 70's. KJ Kindler showed promise of taking ISU (women) back to a title until hired away by OU. Coach Ronayne has had some glimmer, but we've fallen way short of past glory. It's promising that ISU beat No. 5 Denver Pioneers 196.050-195.850 and Addy De Jesus got a 10.0, only the fourth 10 in ISU history. Nicely done, ladies.
It's 5 for 5 time. Hi Ed!

Reactions: Snydes

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
I remember sitting in Hilton watching the gymnastics team perform at halftime of basketball games. They had to do something to keep fans engaged cause BB team was not good.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Great feature video of Addy De Jesus, narrated by the Godfather.

Great video. Two things stood out, in addition to the things about Addy herself:

1. Head Coach Jay Ronayne lets it be about her. He stops talking and steps out of the way so she can see the score posted. He backs away to let her celebrate with her teammates. His comments in the interview are all about her. Props to Coach Ronayne.

2. She disses Nebraska. "I wish I had been here all along." Love to hear that from someone who transferred from Lincoln.

Things are trending well for this program.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron