Haircut in Ames

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
What's everyone's go to barber in Ames? I've been going to All-cuts in campustown but I'm looking to switch it up.

Anyone got any recs?

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Ill give you a buzz for 10 bucks

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
When I was in school I used to go to Monty. He retired and Troy took over. It just wasn't the same.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My son either gets a friend to buzz it or goes to Sports Clips. Only bad cut he got was when he let a girl he knew from high school at whatever cosmetology school they have nearby cut it. Had to buzz it pretty short after she was done hacking at it.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
When I was in school I used to go to Monty. He retired and Troy took over. It just wasn't the same.

Bummer to hear Monty retired. That' s a cool little barber shop. Always full of a bunch of guys shooting the **** every time I went in there.

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
My son either gets a friend to buzz it or goes to Sports Clips. Only bad cut he got was when he let a girl he knew from high school at whatever cosmetology school they have nearby cut it. Had to buzz it pretty short after she was done hacking at it.
I got an awful buzz cut from sports clips one time. Not really sure how you mess up a buzz... but they managed to do it. Haven't been back to another since.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Typically go to my Aunts or Great Clips now.

Great Clips is cheap and you get what you pay for. I've had a few great cuts, but most I end up going to my Aunts and having her fix it back up. She's amazing at giving haircuts and has her own place, but it's 15 miles outside of Ames.

Really, I ask for something simple. I want very short hair, a #2, on the sides, and then have it slightly longer on top and have it blend in from the sides so you can't really tell a difference. It's just a bit more than a buzz.

Unfortunately, Great Clips either thinks that means Bowl Cut or Crew Cut.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
What's everyone's go to barber in Ames? I've been going to All-cuts in campustown but I'm looking to switch it up.

Anyone got any recs?
Is it still Ray at All Cuts? Very odd guy - but I loved him. Nicest guy you'd ever meet. Remembered every detail about you.

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
Is it still Ray at All Cuts? Very odd guy - but I loved him. Nicest guy you'd ever meet. Remembered every detail about you.

Yup, he is a very different dude, that's for sure. But you're right, an extremely nice man.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I can't believe Monty is gone. That was an institution. If you were a Cyclone fan you had to go see Monty, he knew everything about anything. Plus while I was always scared of what might come out of the couch, it was comfy as all hell. I guess all those $1 tips from the years of $9 haircuts created a great retirement fund.

CyOps

Jul 12, 2010
Lincoln
For those that remember Monty, who was the elderly, former All-American bball player that used to hang out there all the time?

Help Support Us

Become a patron