Hakeem Butler waived by Steelers

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Darn. Got my hopes up, but alas. Maybe he can come back to Ames this fall and teach our receivers how to block, break tackles, and pick up YAC.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Darn. Got my hopes up, but alas. Maybe he can come back to Ames this fall and teach our receivers how to block, break tackles, and pick up YAC.

As much as I loved Blythe, X and Lazard who put up huge numbers for careers...in some ways I think Butler was the hardest cover we ever had. He was certainly fun to watch.

Just a total mismatch at FBS and XFL level but somehow I guess doesn't translate in NFL.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
As much as I loved Blythe, X and Lazard who put up huge numbers for careers...in some ways I think Butler was the hardest cover we ever had. He was certainly fun to watch.

Just a total mismatch at FBS and XFL level but somehow I guess doesn't translate in NFL.
He was great for Purdy, it was Purdy's safety valve before the TEs emerged. Purdy could buy time and when in trouble he knew he could throw it up for grabs down field and Butler would get it. I think Butler should have stayed one more year. He was great at going deep and getting the ball. But he needed to work on the fundamentals of route running, and pass catching short and intermediate routes. Case in point, he dropped a sure first down pass, a six yard route, in the overtime in the loss to Iowa in 2017. I think our 2019 team, as good as it was, would have been way better with him on it.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Butler doesn’t get the respect he deserves on this board.
Oh I think he was a stud and one of my favorites ever. I just think X and Lazard were slightly higher because of their reliability. All were amazing getting the difficult passes, but Butler had a lot of easy catches go right through his hands. Not trying to discount any of his contributions though.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Oh I think he was a stud and one of my favorites ever. I just think X and Lazard were slightly higher because of their reliability. All were amazing getting the difficult passes, but Butler had a lot of easy catches go right through his hands. Not trying to discount any of his contributions though.
Lol. I don’t even know how to respond to this.

• Haha
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Butler doesn’t get the respect he deserves on this board.

He gets exactly the respect he deserves. He was a freak athlete with unbelievably inconsistent play. Unfortunately the NFL is full of freak athletes.

If you choose to remember only his outstanding plays, which he had at times, I can see how you think he’s disrespected on this board.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Lazard catches everything thrown his general direction. Butler has butter hands unless it's a difficult catch.
No offense, but Larard had the same struggle with easy catches Freshman through Junior year at least. Senior year was better, and he's only improved as his pro career advanced. Butler was drafted, Lazard wasn't. Just saying if we're comparing college careers.