Hamilton Gained 40 Pounds

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I just can't remember the last kid with his size that was a 'beast' in the Big 12.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Mann is a lot more athletic than CJ.

balken

Apr 14, 2006
Didn't catch the article, but it will be hard to keep up the image with an extra 40 lbs.

hamilton.jpg

statman

Apr 11, 2006
Anyone else see Mann as the next Cory J?

I sure hope thats not the case.

I see him as the CJ replacement. Scores well around the hoop like CJ tried to do. He's leaner & meaner than CJ. Hopefully, he can be effective in the Big 12 against bigger guys, but it's too soon to know for sure IMO.

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines
If I ate what he does every day I would be the fattest person on the planet. I wonder what his total calorie count is.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I'm thinkin' maybe Mac is good rather than lucky. He had to be good to recognize the potential in a junior non-starter who had only played the game for a couple of years at that point, dontcha think? ;-)

I don't think that you get what I'm saying. Yeah, it was not luck that GMac saw the potential in Hamilton. But the fact is that ISU offered plenty of other bigs (Markolf, Thompson, Berggren, Iverson among others) and lost out on them before the offer came to Hamilton. JH was almost a certain redshirt and probably wasn't going to help ISU for at least a few years when he committed. I don't think that GMac saw JH improving this much in one year...no one could have. I personally would rather have Hamilton than some of the guys that were offered earlier. That's what I mean about being lucky...lucky that one of the others didn't commit first.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Maybe because you don't see white guys dunking on people all that much. Shocking.

Or, maybe some of us don't see a white kid dunking or a black kid dunking, we just see a kid dunking. We're all out of Africa, white, black, or green.

Personally, for me, a white-black distinction is irrelevant since we are all the same people.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
I don't think that you get what I'm saying. Yeah, it was not luck that GMac saw the potential in Hamilton. . . . I personally would rather have Hamilton than some of the guys that were offered earlier. That's what I mean about being lucky...lucky that one of the others didn't commit first.

No, I didn't get what you were saying. I do now. Thanks for clarifying that. Good point, if you don't mind me saying so.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Or, maybe some of us don't see a white kid dunking or a black kid dunking, we just see a kid dunking. We're all out of Africa, white, black, or green.

Personally, for me, a white-black distinction is irrelevant since we are all the same people.

Numerous psychological studies show that everybody sees the black-white distinction on some level, but you're probably too busy to comment since your busy balancing on your pedestal.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
White kid? Can't see why his color matters, myself.

i don't think he was saying it in a negative manner at all, just that typically you don't see that many white kids dominating a basketball game the way he described him to. we're not prejudiced.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm not saying it in a negative manner. The last time I saw a 6'6", 6'7" white kid dunk on somebody in college was... somebody help me here. I seriously can't think of a time. Did Joe Alexander do it last year? He could elevate.

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007
I'm not saying it in a negative manner. The last time I saw a 6'6", 6'7" white kid dunk on somebody in college was... somebody help me here. I seriously can't think of a time. Did Joe Alexander do it last year? He could elevate.

Im pretty sure Alexander had a vertical leap of about 40 inches... AKA he dunked over LOTS of people:wink:

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I know a white guy dunking over someone has happened plenty of times since at ISU (Homan and Vroman for example), but who can forget The Mayor dunking over Acie Earl? That was classic.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
I know a white guy dunking over someone has happened plenty of times since at ISU (Homan and Vroman for example), but who can forget The Mayor dunking over Acie Earl? That was classic.

Or how about Paul Shirley dunking over the guy from MSU. (then getting called for a charging foul):sad:

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Numerous psychological studies show that everybody sees the black-white distinction on some level, but you're probably too busy to comment since your busy balancing on your pedestal.

I express a personal opinion, as do you often here, and I'm balancing on my pedestal? How is the view from atop yours?

I buy your psychological-distinction comment, sure, but I hope that one day such a distinction will not be common. To that end, anytime I see a black-white remark, I make comment on it. I'll continue to do that.

From my poor layman's perspective, I understand that today geneticists tell us that we are all the same people, that every human being alive today springs from a common female ages ago, that the six genes or so that differentiate the races from among the 90,000 genes that each of us carries are climate-based.

Sixty percent of human body heat escapes through the top of the head; in equatorial regions, curly hair acts like a cooling raditor, in colder climes, straight hair acts like a blanket trapping heat. Wider nostrils in warm, humid areas allow a greater flow rate of air into the lungs, narrow nostrils act to warm air before it reaches the lungs. Racial differences are adaptive differences (if I correctly understand what I've read).

If we are all the same people, if we are all members of one human family, white-black distinctions are nearly valueless. That seems like a reasonable point to me. Others will hold differing opinions, I'm sure.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron