Has anyone changed careers post 40 years old?

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Yes, when I was 42. I also changed in my early 30's. Benman gave some great advice above. I will add a few bullet points:

- go to a headhunter/consultancy type person to review your skills, etc.
- have an honest and frank discussion, and review of your skillset with a third party that can actually help you.
- videotape some practice interviews. Watch for facial expressions, body language, and word usage that can be misconstrued.
- other than this board which might be impossible (??), clean up any posts on all social media that appear to be emotional, political, or knee-jerk reaction statements.
- work on a hard-hitting resume that exhibits and gives examples of strategic thinking, team work, solutions supported by facts and results. This will help exhibit your skill set is not limited to your past industry if you don't want to be pigeonholed. It could take 15-20 drafts of a resume. Have a successful, good friend critique the resume.
- be truthful with yourself about your risk tolerance and desire to fully embrace change. The new career might demand 60-70 hours a week.
- do u have a desire to be your own boss and what it takes to make this move? Be brutally honest with yourself.
- will you move?
- lastly, this process is a second job. Nights and weekends unless you can financially support a move to walk away.

Good luck, and believe it or not, but you have made the hardest decision - the decision to strategically work your ass off to be bigger, faster and stronger in whatever you decide that will bring a more fulfilled life.

Go for it! Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness!

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I was Division Manager at an ag retailer and got downsized after a merger at the age of 43. That role had responsibility for everything from sales and marketing to operations. I interviewed with Wells Fargo and accepted an offer to be a loan officer. During the 2.5 months between interview and start date the job moved from CR to Kearney NE. I'm not moving so I'm in scramble mode.

A friend introduced me to an Ag Recruiter who had an established business but had just lost his only employee. He immediately tried to hire me to work for him and I reluctantly took the job thinking the worst that can happen is I make a little commission until I find a "real job".

Fast forward 20+ years. It ended up being a great career change for me. I worked for him for 5 years and then went out on my own. The initial transition was tough mentally as I was not used to being at a desk 100% of the time and talking on the phone 4 hours per day but it has been the best thing that ever happened to me.

My advice is to be open minded. Most good companies are looking for the right personality traits and people skills and will teach you everything else you need to know.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I changed twice in six months a couple years ago (early 30s but prior to that everything including my degree were in a very specific industry.) I have no idea what I do now. Something that I didn't really know existed 2.5 yrs ago. Largely herding cats and managing relationships.

What I learned is that a lot more of your skills are transferable than you think. Things I thought were specific to my industry are all over the place. I googled my way through my first client in my second switch. I legitamitely did not understand the words they were using. They tried to hire me full time at the end of the engagement (about 8 months) so I must have figured something out well enough. If you can learn ****, you can do a lot of different things.
Apply to anything that interests you (I see a lot of brand manager type stuff, not sure if that fits for you but I see a bunch of them around) and tailor your resume to the posting. Not just experience that best fits but even the language they use. Do they talk about customers or clients? Programs? Initiatives? Use as much of their own language as makes sense. Get your base resume reviewed by people you trust (I love doing this, honestly, I'd be happy to look) and focus on problems you solved and accomplishments you delivered. Let your friends/peers know you are watching. I love to send job postings to people in my circles that I think may fit.

You're a man over 40 so not as dicey as woman over 40 but I'd still strip out details that make your age super obvious.

Reactions: dahliaclone

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Getting back to this thread and lots of great responses which I appreciate greatly. Thank you!

benman82

Nov 17, 2009
Getting back to this thread and lots of great responses which I appreciate greatly. Thank you!
Another guy's content I found useful when switching careers is a recruiter / career coach named Andrew Lacivita, and he happens to be an ISU grad!

Here's his playlist focused on career transitions:

Reactions: dahliaclone

jspeels

May 14, 2022
I did before 40 due to circumstances, and then found my way back to what I was always meant to do. Took that time away to make me realize and I am much happier! I have a friend post 40 making a switch as I type, we shall see how it goes for her.