Has anyone changed careers post 40 years old?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Maybe just consider a mental reset for a few years? If you're financially OK to take a hit try something really, really different?
I have a family member that was in sales/accounting and he went to work at Fareway meat counter. Just totally outside of the box.
I've thought about something like that when "closer to kids being out of the house."

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I have been in PR/Media Relations for my entire career (20+ years) and have been waning the past few years on if I love it enough to keep doing it forever and I think I've determined I just can't. But I'm also post-40 and have no other degrees so am kind of up ****'s creek in that regard. Curious if anyone has switched careers this late and if so how did you do it if you didn't have any or much experience in your new path?
I did actually last October at 42. Went from mortgage underwriting after layoffs to switch to insurance. The plan is moving on in 2 years to insurance underwriting as the goal. Def not ideal after 40. Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Reactions: dahliaclone

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
To be clear...I have been a 1099 freelancer/consultant since COVID but the opps are just not there anymore. I've been talking with other PR consultant friends and no one is finding any clients. I am just over the stress of it all. Gimme something low key hahah.
So, what are you passionate about? I'm in my 40's and have considered changing up, but I think to get more specific advice knowing what you are considering pivoting towards would be good to know. Are you looking for renewed sense of purpose, same pay/less hours, stability, tangential move off a specific part of what you do now.

I changed careers in my early 20's before kids, and now that they are out of the house I'm considering it again. Not a totally different field, but relocating and doing something I'm a little more passionate about. I've led for years, now I'd like to consult.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
To the OP: I feel you. I’m in a similar boat. Been in my industry 15 years. I hit 40 this year. Never really been that interested in my field but I was good at it. Been thinking about completely changing industries.

I have a bachelors and masters in engineering from ISU. Never really explored a different career or major. I’ve been successful everywhere I’ve worked. I tried pivoting within my industry this past year. Zero luck. It’s been incredibly frustrating to have people repeatedly say “you seem great but you haven’t done exactly what we do. So, we’re not interested.”

I started a part-time MBA program in January to broaden my skills and hopefully open some doors to new industries. I’m hopeful the right fit is out there.

One big thing, no matter what direction you go, is you have to network. Applying to positions just doesn’t work anymore. You have to know someone that can open a door for you.

Good luck. I hope you have better luck than I am having.

benman82

Nov 17, 2009
To be clear...I have been a 1099 freelancer/consultant since COVID but the opps are just not there anymore. I've been talking with other PR consultant friends and no one is finding any clients. I am just over the stress of it all. Gimme something low key hahah.
I switched in my late 20's from ******** to tech so this may not be relevant to you, but there's a couple mental frameworks and techniques that helped me break into an industry with no experience nor formal education. These ideas mostly come from the guy who runs iwillteachyoutoberich.com, but I can confirm they work. Any of his most popular videos here that are more than 5 years old are cold hard tactical advice about how to improve your career and/or finances and are worth watching if you want to improve your career.

Mindset:
I looked at my life and thought hey I have college degrees, why can't I get a real job? The answer is that A) I had a Psych + Philosophy degree that nobody cares about, and B) employers / clients don't care about your degree nor your work history unless the profession legally requires a cert. They only care that you can solve their specific type of problem. So then I had to look at it from the employer perspective and figure out what problems they need to solve and reverse engineer their problems to figure out how to make proof that I can solve their problems. I settled on web development because you don't need permission to go out and make a portfolio that proves you can do the work, it pays well, and because it's a job that can be done from home. I proceeded to go learn web development until I had enough skills to do things (~9 months), and then I went to work on proving it to potential employers. I really should have done the networking stuff before learning the skills, and I got lucky that I actually liked the industry. You can save yourself a ton of time and effort learning new skills by getting talked out of that career path early on.

Networking Technique:
Go on Linked and friend request every single recruiter in your metro. They'll always accept. Now you're 2nd / 3rd connections with a ton of local people across pretty much every industry so start shooting messages to those people asking for advice about how to break into their industry or how they got their start. Your message should ideally include whatever similarity you have such as both going to ISU, or living in the same metro, or whatever you can do to relate. Reach out to 100 people with a genuine message and you should get at least 5-10 real people to jump on a phone call or meet for coffee or whatever. DO NOT ASK THEM FOR A JOB. At the end of each conversation ask them if there's anybody else they think you should talk to, and if there's anything you should do / try to get that first job in the new industry. The most important part of this networking is to send a follow up thank you note right away, and then another message in 1-2 weeks once you've taken their advice. Once somebody knows you implemented their advice they're in your camp and will continue to be helpful in mentoring you, and might even reach back out to you if they hear about a job opening.

Interviewing Technique:
Once you get a job interview take over the conversation by doing "The Briefcase Technique". Basically just overprepare and show proof that you understand the business / job role, and already have a plan. The plan in the briefcase can be created from things you've discussed with real employees while doing the networking above. To close interviews as a web developer, I look through the corporate site for any tiny bugs or things that could be improved, copy the entire page to my own site, and fix the bug. Then during the interview I have literally pulled a laptop out of a briefcase to show them the bug on their site, and on the next tab it's my website "benman82.com/company-name" with the bug fixed, and I offer to send them the code to fix that issue. Regardless of how well the interview discussion went, I've now proven that I cared enough to research the company and can do the exact job for the exact company that I'm applying to. Spending a few hours on a presentation that proves you can do the job is always worth it.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
I have been in PR/Media Relations for my entire career (20+ years) and have been waning the past few years on if I love it enough to keep doing it forever and I think I've determined I just can't. But I'm also post-40 and have no other degrees so am kind of up ****'s creek in that regard. Curious if anyone has switched careers this late and if so how did you do it if you didn't have any or much experience in your new path?
I’m not sure I understand the concern. Just start talking to people in the field you want to get into. As long as it’s not professional athlete, you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding a path.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
PR skills are marketing and communication skills. Related areas to explore might include online instruction, community college positions in teaching or administration,
freelance writing, political consultant, non-profit employment, tourism, publishing, writing, editing. In that PR sells people, a job in some type of sales might be a logical move.

Best advice: read, shop around, don't quit your day job until you have a solid offer elsewhere. Also, try some volunteer work to get a feel for what other kinds of employment feel like. You might decide the grass is greener on your own side of the fence.

• Agree
Reactions: mkadl

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I went from working 12 hour rotating shifts at $24 an hour, to $14 an hour and no work after 7:00 pm. I was 65 years old when I “retired” , I decided I didn’t need to work 7pm to 7 am. Plus I was tired of having to finish what the crew in front of me didn’t do.
I am doing the same thing this December, sort of. I turn 65 in September. I am very healthy. No way I am stopping a work regimine. I plan on a 20 to 30 hour a week gig. I changed careers at 57. Worked out well fo us. I was in sales for 31 years before leaving. But everything is sales in a way, so it all worked out.

Reactions: FLYINGCYCLONE

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
I did at age 46. My degree is in radiologic technology, so it's very specific and "only" an AAS, though I also had 3-4 classes toward a BS toward health management. I made a switch from Rad Tech to Secretary to the Superintendent of the school district we lived in. After 4 years in that position, I became the Director for a local non-profit organization. Three years later, my husband & I made a lifestyle change where I quit working outside the home. It was quite an adjustment for us, but we have never regretted it.

Networking 100% helped me get an interview for both jobs (after the rad tech position). My interests, skills, goals and past experiences/education (from many, many years prior) helped me land the jobs.

If you don't try, the answer is always no. Set some goals. Make a plan that adapts to your changes.

Last edited:

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
My niece gave a ton of information on several self-employment jobs her peers are busy with. For example, one job is being a traveling notary public.
I was curious about how this could be lucrative. In Minnesota, a Notary can't charge more than $5 for their services. The fee schedule is different in Iowa.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I was curious about how this could be lucrative. In Minnesota, a Notary can't charge more than $5 for their services. The fee schedule is different in Iowa.
They can charge per seal in iowa I believe

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Especially where the notary has to travel to a hospital or hospice or such. I've run into scenarios where hospitals won't provide notaries for estate planning visits by the attorney. And yes, the attorney can be a notary, but not in more than one state.

Also, consider remote notarizations. Since get pandemic most states have enabled online notarization under certain circumstances. Generally it requires the notary to pay additional expenses to meet the requirements.

• Informative
Reactions: jcyclonee

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Don't mean to make this a job-search forum, but adding to my original post: If anyone is looking for someone with an engineering/construction background in the DSM area, I'm all ears!

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
I think she gets a lot of business in Iowa and it’s very lucrative for her.

Reactions: jcyclonee