Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Good point. Managing 20 points on 33% shooting is some pretty serious shot hunting.

The majority of her points came late after the game was decided. I watched the entire game, and she played very poorly. Spin it how you want, but she did not play well.
I didn't say she played well. I just added another part of her stat line that the other guy left out for some reason.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
You left out that she set yet another record. Wonder if they will put a sticker on the floor where she committed her record 10th turnover in a debut WBNA game?
I think she may end up with a few quadruple-doubles in her career.
20 points, 10 rebounds, 12 assists and 11 turnovers.

it did look like the quickness and physically changed a bit for her last night.
That is why I laugh when they say she should be playing with guys. or anyone like Griner should play in the NBA, etc. They would get ripped if half. you imagine Brunson playing against her?

that being said. She has got to be exhausted. She had a gauntlet of March madness, shooting commercials, doing interviews and shows, flying across the country appearing places, signing hours of autographs, working with sponsor events, WNBA Draft, trying to practice and gain chemistry with a new team while the entire world is watching. And half the world, including the wnba players want her to fail. pretty crazy couple months for her and has to be taxing.
not to mention school in there somewhere.

she will be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: bozclone

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
It's not impressive to score 20 points on 15 shot attempts. 6 of her points were from free throws, So she scored 14 points from 15 shots. You left the details out
Absolutely. She's going to have to settle in and adjust to being double-teamed and the focal point of WNBA defenses, going to be much tougher than being double-teamed and the focal point of college WBB defenses for sure.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Absolutely. She's going to have to settle in and adjust to being double-teamed and the focal point of WNBA defenses, going to be much tougher than being double-teamed and the focal point of college WBB defenses for sure.
So your takeaway is professional players are better than collegiate players? Amazing insight

To be fair, every person will have an occasional bad night shooting. Since she has a history of being a great shooter, her shooting last night should not be of concern long term. What is an absolute concern long term will be her ball handling. She has a history of turning over the ball a lot in college, and just set the wnba record for most turnovers in their first game.

She's playing against the very best now. They will expose any weakness an individual may have. And CC has weaknesses, which the media has been covering up for years.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
The WNBA is hoping to draw more eyes to their games, but that game last night was not the way to do it. I watched some of it, but man it was ugly. I had a daughter play high school basketball and I love watching the Cyclone women play, but the style of play in the WNBA is really rough to watch.
I am not an NBA fan, but the freedom of movement in the NBA vs the WNBA is night and day. The WNBA seems to be an extension of women's college basketball of grabbing, holding, etc. The NBA is much more fluid offensively and defensively.

It is sad when you have WNBA teams who score 13 points in a quarter.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
It is possible that Caitlin is just a really good offensive player with elite instincts, but not the g.o.a.t? Seems like that has been the case to me for awhile now. I spent more time watching her this year than in years past and it seems like there are other players in the women's game that might actually be better complete players. Better athletes, defenders etc. and can still score and pass the ball. Certainly better rebounders. I was not surprised to see she had 0 rebounds last night. Most of her rebounds in college seemed like chasing down shots that missed long and I don't think I've ever seen a player gather more rebounds without having to jump for the ball.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Bloder gave CC full reign to do what she wanted on the court, most coaches are not going to like it when she launches 15 feet behind the arc, but in college she could and would make enough of them that it opened up the floor for her excellent passing. Her biggest strengths were unlimited range and her quickness, in the pros, that quickness will not be as much as an help, as the players are all going to be bigger and faster than what she was used to playing against.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
So your takeaway is professional players are better than collegiate players? Amazing insight

To be fair, every person will have an occasional bad night shooting. Since she has a history of being a great shooter, her shooting last night should not be of concern long term. What is an absolute concern long term will be her ball handling. She has a history of turning over the ball a lot in college, and just set the wnba record for most turnovers in their first game.

She's playing against the very best now. They will expose any weakness an individual may have. And CC has weaknesses, which the media has been covering up for years.
And against players who are older than her. All the Iowa fans got their shorts in a wad when Diana Taurasi said there is a transition period for rookies; guess what? It's true, especially for guards who handle the ball constantly.

It's a lot different being guarded by someone 26 and 20 pounds bigger than you vs. being guarded by an 18-22-year-old college player.

• Agree
Reactions: CyNews and Cyhig

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Can't believe there is still so much activity on this.

Simple for me - will never root for her as she's a Hawkeye. But also no longer pay attention because she's not playing for Iowa anymore. She's just another has-been Hawk to me that is out of sight, out of mind.

Last edited:

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
The WNBA is hoping to draw more eyes to their games, but that game last night was not the way to do it. I watched some of it, but man it was ugly. I had a daughter play high school basketball and I love watching the Cyclone women play, but the style of play in the WNBA is really rough to watch.

And that stupid multi colored ball needs to go.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I am not an NBA fan, but the freedom of movement in the NBA vs the WNBA is night and day. The WNBA seems to be an extension of women's college basketball of grabbing, holding, etc. The NBA is much more fluid offensively and defensively.

It is sad when you have WNBA teams who score 13 points in a quarter.
Watching the WNBA is a little like watching the NBA back when the Pistons were good. The WNBA seems like it has valued size of skill. Hopefully that changes in the future and makes games for fun to watch.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Full disclosure... I have not seen CC play before (other than some youtube clips posted here). I have never seen a WNBA game and likely never will. Based on what I am reading here, it seems to me that CC was a great shooting offensive player in college... nothing more. Her offensive numbers in college detracted from her flaws. Now that she is playing in a league with players that are equal or better than her, she is being exposed for player she really is. As the season goes on, she will adjust and find her place. Will she dominate the WNBA? We will see. My guess is that she will be a good player... but not an elite one.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Can't believe there is still much activity on this.

Simple for me - will never root for her as she's a Hawkeye. But also no longer pay attention because she's not playing for Iowa anymore. She's just another has-been Hawk to me that is out of sight, out of mind.

The "out of sight" comment...I wish! Living in the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City corridor right now the topic is hard to avoid...she is talked about constantly!

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
She's not going to carry a bad team to a championship, players will just guard her 30 ft from the basket, she will need other players that can score and contribute.

In every level before now it's just easier because most of the players she played against just aren't that good, in the WNBA everyone is good. Kelsey Plum was an elite scorer in college and it took her years to become an All-Star.

Clark just can't turn it over 10 times a game on the way to whatever she becomes, she needs to be on the court to do it and she'll get benched eventually if she's just a turnover machine.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
She's not going to carry a bad team to a championship, players will just guard her 30 ft from the basket, she will need other players that can score and contribute.

In every level before now it's just easier because most of the players she played against just aren't that good, in the WNBA everyone is good. Kelsey Plum was an elite scorer in college and it took her years to become an All-Star.

Clark just can't turn it over 10 times a game on the way to whatever she becomes, she needs to be on the court to do it and she'll get benched eventually if she's just a turnover machine.
The Fever are in an interesting predicament. I am not sure they could afford to bench her no matter how out of control she plays or inefficiently she gets her buckets. Fans are still lining up and tuning in (not me, but I assume this is the case) to watch her. They don't care about the Aaliyeah Boston or the Fever as a whole, they want to watch CC. She would have to underperform over an extended stretch - 7 or 8 games probably - for the buzz to go down any.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
I think it's pretty crazy that she played her last college basketball game less than a month ago and since that point she has gotten drafted, practiced with her team, and only played in 2 preseason games before the regular season. Leading scorer in her debut? Yeah, I think that's pretty solid.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The Fever are in an interesting predicament. I am not sure they could afford to bench her no matter how out of control she plays or inefficiently she gets her buckets. Fans are still lining up and tuning in (not me, but I assume this is the case) to watch her. They don't care about the Aaliyeah Boston or the Fever as a whole, they want to watch CC. She would have to underperform over an extended stretch - 7 or 8 games probably - for the buzz to go down any.
Yeah that's a good point, I don't think she's in danger of getting benched in the short term by any means. It's also been one game, like @Saul_T said it's been a whirlwind from college to pro debut in hardly any time at all, it'll be interesting to see where it shakes out in like 10 games.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Help Support Us

Become a patron