Has anyone changed careers post 40 years old?

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I have been in PR/Media Relations for my entire career (20+ years) and have been waning the past few years on if I love it enough to keep doing it forever and I think I've determined I just can't. But I'm also post-40 and have no other degrees so am kind of up ****'s creek in that regard. Curious if anyone has switched careers this late and if so how did you do it if you didn't have any or much experience in your new path?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I have been in PR/Media Relations for my entire career (20+ years) and have been waning the past few years on if I love it enough to keep doing it forever and I think I've determined I just can't. But I'm also post-40 and have no other degrees so am kind of up ****'s creek in that regard. Curious if anyone has switched careers this late and if so how did you do it if you didn't have any or much experience in your new path?

I have. I was able to connect my skills with the new role. That was my main selling point in interviews.

I showed a history of an advancing career with transferrable skills to the new industry.

It can absolutely be done. Don't sell yourself or your accomplishments short. Things you may take for granted could set you apart in a new industry.

Good luck and knock 'em dead.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Graduated with a PR degree and switched jobs after having the same one for nearly 40 years. It’s kinda in a similar career I was in. But mostly different clientele and a lot more independent. I had no trouble switching. Wouldn’t worry about whether you have a degree in an area you are interested in. Over 20 years you probably have developed solid skill sets for many different careers. My guess is the classes you took were wide ranging and helped you for a variety of situations. In PR you have developed a lot of contacts, so I doubt you have much trouble. You will do fine.

Dgilbertson

Sep 16, 2023
Managing /leading ppl and looking at a skills resume is key.

I don’t completely pull it off and it was just pre 40, but it catapulted me into assuming a higher level of leadership and transition more to coach/leader vs doer in the industry I came up in.

Reactions: dahliaclone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

I was past 40 when I went to self-employment. Insurance is expensive I can tell you that. The ability to flex hours is nice. Not so sure if it beats a good WFH job with bennies though.
My niece has a good corporate job, that with some foreplanning can turn into work from wherever so sometimes her and her husband do trips that way when he travels for work.

20+ yrs and you seem really nice online I would guess you have a pretty solid network of connections. Ask those folks what they think you would be good at. I think 90% of the battle is attitude and willing to learn.
Good luck if you choose to change careers.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Also degrees outside of medical, legal and engineering (maybe other stem fields) essentially say “I’m kind of responsive and I can do assignments.”

I almost wouldn’t include it on the CV :cool:

They also say that you're interested in something else and don't want to be there.
I've had that shouted at me in about half the interviews that I actually land (which also points to the amazingly low # of them where that happens).

Dgilbertson

Sep 16, 2023
They also say that you're interested in something else and don't want to be there.
I've had that shouted at me in about half the interviews that I actually land (which also points to the amazingly low # of them where that happens).
I’m not sure I understand what’s being shouted.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
I was past 40 when I went to self-employment. Insurance is expensive I can tell you that. The ability to flex hours is nice. Not so sure if it beats a good WFH job with bennies though.
My niece has a good corporate job, that with some foreplanning can turn into work from wherever so sometimes her and her husband do trips that way when he travels for work.

20+ yrs and you seem really nice online I would guess you have a pretty solid network of connections. Ask those folks what they think you would be good at. I think 90% of the battle is attitude and willing to learn.
Good luck if you choose to change careers.
If you go to 1099, checking the insurance marketplace is a must.

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
I went from working 12 hour rotating shifts at $24 an hour, to $14 an hour and no work after 7:00 pm. I was 65 years old when I “retired” , I decided I didn’t need to work 7pm to 7 am. Plus I was tired of having to finish what the crew in front of me didn’t do.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Nope. I changed companies when I was 44, a new industry completely but I'm doing the same type of thing as I've always done. I've thought about doing a complete 180 into a new area, but with two kids it's not super practical.

I do believe if you're successful in one professional area the odds are very good that you'll succeed in other areas if you apply yourself. Knowledge of a new discipline can be attained. Drive and instincts and adaptability and nimble thinking can't be taught but are critical to succeeding.

Once the daughters are off the payroll and things are secure, my dream would be to open an old school craft butcher shop.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
To be clear...I have been a 1099 freelancer/consultant since COVID but the opps are just not there anymore. I've been talking with other PR consultant friends and no one is finding any clients. I am just over the stress of it all. Gimme something low key hahah.

Dgilbertson

Sep 16, 2023
To be clear...I have been a 1099 freelancer/consultant since COVID but the opps are just not there anymore. I've been talking with other PR consultant friends and no one is finding any clients. I am just over the stress of it all. Gimme something low key hahah.
A lot of places are going in house. I’m a Creative Director for a global company. There’s been more marketing talent brought to in-house teams the last 10 years. It ebbs and flows.

May be worth a peak to in house press rep for a large company. May need to add some add’l hats, marketing, brainstorming. Change mgmt.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
My niece gave a ton of information on several self-employment jobs her peers are busy with. For example, one job is being a traveling notary public.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Do you like your current employer? If so, maybe you can find a completely new role and stay employed. Perhaps you'd have to be willing to.drop down a notch in salary/seniority.

Edit: Just saw your note about being a freelancer. Maybe you can go back to one of the clients you liked and ask about other roles they have open.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I think you should start your own movie review website, pub, podcast, etc., but cool and different with attitude in the narrative. Think Rotten Tomatoes meets The Onion meets Ed Debevic's.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
A lot of places are going in house. I’m a Creative Director for a global company. There’s been more marketing talent brought to in-house teams the last 10 years. It ebbs and flows.

May be worth a peak to in house press rep for a large company. May need to add some add’l hats, marketing, brainstorming. Change mgmt.
Yep. In addition to large companies and corporations, higher ed has been trending this way too, building up their in-house marketing and PR operations. If you're in an area with a lot of colleges and universities, could be worth a look.