Has anyone purchased a new vehicle lately, the prices are off the wall.

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006
I have bought two new vehicles in the last year. I bought a Trailblazer for my daughter in Granger, Iowa and I bought a Traverse for my wife and I in Florence, Kentucky. My daughter was in Ames at the time and I live in Indiana. These two dealerships did not add a "Market Adjustment", so that was partially what led us to both. The Trailblazer was in route when we agreed to buy it and it took about a month for it to arrive. This was last Sept when no one had new cars. Overall it was a good experience. The dealership in Kentucky had 25 Traverses on the lot which was far more than anyone else. I told my wife on the way to the dealer ship that I didn't care for the grey color and wasn't sure about the black rims. After looking at the vehicles, we both liked the grey Traverse with black rims best and bought it. It was a great experience at the dealership.

Both vehicles have been great.
I’ll be in Florence tomorrow and live around here, curious which dealership?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The pickle I'm in is that my vehicle is close to hitting 90k and by the time the market or interest rates start correcting my car will be basically be worthless as far as trade value goes.

That's not even broke in if you do some some maintenance on it.

Reactions: Remo Gaggi

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Speaking of vehicles, I was waiting for a table the other night at Whatcha Smokin and saw this. I don't know if I'll ever get out of my mind why someone would be anti Lexus, that owns an 1980's something van. I was going to ask but then the owners came out and they didn't look like the couple that liked to be questioned. This will forever haunt me......
PXL_20230916_225358963~2.jpg

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Speaking of vehicles, I was waiting for a table the other night at Whatcha Smokin and saw this. I don't know if I'll ever get out of my mind why someone would be anti Lexus, that owns an 1980's something van. I was going to ask but then the owners came out and they didn't look like the couple that liked to be questioned. This will forever haunt me......
View attachment 116972
you got a problem with me bro?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
View attachment 116972
Are they anti Lexus or is that just a self deprecating joke about their old junker van?

Reactions: simply1

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
View attachment 116972
Maybe a Lexus hit them, appears to be damaged there. Or he puts the names of all the strippers he bangs on the van.

• Funny
Reactions: BigCyFan

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
If anyone doesn't want to deal with dealerships for a trade in, I'm looking for a cheap reliable car for a high schooler.

Reactions: stateofmind

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
My wife puts on a lot of miles to and from work and I'd kind of like to keep her vehicle under warranty so we've been in the market. She has an Atlas that she really likes and I guess I didn't think the jump in price to the 2024 model was really all that bad I guess. We're kind of holding right now to see where the new Traverse comes in since that could be gotten from the local dealership who has treated me really well and then I don't have to drive 1.5 hours if an issue were to arise.

Personally, I won't so business with a dealership going over MSRP. It's just the principle of the matter for me because I know there's heavy margin in that number already. I think there're plenty of great dealerships out there not doing that so I don't see the need. When my pickup got struck by lightning 2 years ago and it was next to impossible to find anything that was available, a lot of dealerships were doing that yet somehow my local small dealership selling a fraction of the cars of some of these others wasn't doing it. I think they picked up a lot of customers that year.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
The pickle I'm in is that my vehicle is close to hitting 90k and by the time the market or interest rates start correcting my car will be basically be worthless as far as trade value goes.
Trade value is always worthless. :)

I just sold my son's car that we had pre-Covid and got 20% more than we paid for it. We sold it on facebook marketplace. I will never get why people don't try selling vs trading in a car. I get that it's a little hassle, but when you get $15k for a trade that is worth $18k on the open market. Sign me up for $3k worth of hassle.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Toyota does a lot of great things, but I will agree their Toyota infotainment system is complete trash. We have it in our 2018 Camry and it's just complete crap. Never use most of the feature like the voice activation, hate that I have to synch to my phone for the automatic start, and their current navigation system is a subscription service instead of just using something like Google maps which is just a better all-around system.
Hopefully their new system is better, but it would be hard to be any worse.
Outside the radio I don't use my '21 Highlanders in-dash system at all. I'll use CarPlay from my phone to navigate or stream. I can't believe manufacturers are trying to cut that out and force people to use their garbage built in software

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX

I just sold my son's car that we had pre-Covid and got 20% more than we paid for it. We sold it on facebook marketplace. I will never get why people don't try selling vs trading in a car. I get that it's a little hassle, but when you get $15k for a trade that is worth $18k on the open market. Sign me up for $3k worth of hassle.
You just nailed it. With my work schedule I'm happy to take the 3K hit to not mess with the hassle.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

In the current market, there is no guarantee right/wrong answer on this. When I bought our Kia, I ended up selling my car to Carvana. Unseen by both places, Carvana offered me $4k more for a BMW m235i. By not trading it in on the Kia, I had to pay around $1,300 more in taxes and drive the BMW to KC. The Kia dealership didn't care either way. Probably saved me $2,000 overall.

With the Tesla we just recently bought, my wife had a VW Tiguan that she was trading in. After a little research, I realized that it wasn't going to be worth it to sell it myself or use someone like Carvana. For starters, I didn't know exactly when the tesla was going to arrive and when I ordered the Tesla, I needed to put whether I had a trade in or not. The trade in price was probably a couple thousand less than what I could have received for it on the open market. Once again, we would have had to pay the whole sales tax without a trade so in the end, it was pretty much a wash.

In interesting thing about the trade in at Tesla is that they didn't even look at the car when I brought it in. They were just worried that I had everything out of it. They didn't start it, they didn't enter it, they just wanted the two sets of keys and title. It made me feel bad because it was in such good condition....

• Informative
Reactions: stateofmind

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

You never know. I just traded in my 2016 Honda Pilot EXL, had 104,000 and was in need of all the 100k maintenance, timing belt, etc. Kelley BB value was around $15,500, which is what they first offered. I told them I wanted closer to $17,500-$18,000 for it because I'd seen what Pilot EXLs with similar miles and shape were selling for ($22ish). We went back and forth on terms a few more times and they ended up giving me $21k for it to make the deal happen.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
In the current market, there is no guarantee right/wrong answer on this. When I bought our Kia, I ended up selling my car to Carvana. Unseen by both places, Carvana offered me $4k more for a BMW m235i. By not trading it in on the Kia, I had to pay around $1,300 more in taxes and drive the BMW to KC. The Kia dealership didn't care either way. Probably saved me $2,000 overall.

With the Tesla we just recently bought, my wife had a VW Tiguan that she was trading in. After a little research, I realized that it wasn't going to be worth it to sell it myself or use someone like Carvana. For starters, I didn't know exactly when the tesla was going to arrive and when I ordered the Tesla, I needed to put whether I had a trade in or not. The trade in price was probably a couple thousand less than what I could have received for it on the open market. Once again, we would have had to pay the whole sales tax without a trade so in the end, it was pretty much a wash.

In interesting thing about the trade in at Tesla is that they didn't even look at the car when I brought it in. They were just worried that I had everything out of it. They didn't start it, they didn't enter it, they just wanted the two sets of keys and title. It made me feel bad because it was in such good condition....
I demand you look at how well I cleaned this!!

Help Support Us

Become a patron