Have you cut the (cable) cord?

Have you cut the (cable) cord

• Currently pay for cable and will likely continue

Votes: 39 18.2%
  • Currently pay for cable but will likely cut the cord within the next year

Votes: 15 7.0%
  • Use an internet service (sling/roku/youtubetv/hulu etc)

Votes: 132 61.7%
  • Do not have cable, do not pay an internet service tv

Votes: 28 13.1%

• Total voters

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
Looks like Hulu Live TV is the best bang for the buck since you get Hulu's streaming library too.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Yeah cable is cheaper when you pirate and borrow logins
vauEUgn.gif
Lol I supposed you call getting "hacked" when you leave your facebook open too huh? Going to firstrowsports isn't illegal. Also, sharing logins isn't a big deal. I wouldn't pay for them anyway, and when a friend says yeah I use your netflix, here's a HBO login if you want it. Hell Netflix encourages it.

Cable alone is close to 70$ for basic package. Gigabit internet is $75. Netflix and hulu are what close to 30$ total? You're right though, I am totally not saving anything.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Lol I supposed you call getting "hacked" when you leave your facebook open too huh? Going to firstrowsports isn't illegal. Also, sharing logins isn't a big deal. I wouldn't pay for them anyway, and when a friend says yeah I use your netflix, here's a HBO login if you want it. Hell Netflix encourages it.

Cable alone is close to 70$ for basic package. Gigabit internet is $75. Netflix and hulu are what close to 30$ total? You're right though, I am totally not saving anything.

Whatever helps you sleep at night ;)

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Contract was up with dish and they threw some good offers at me for 1 year (Valued customer lol). With sports and kids and the massive DVR storage I don't think we could ever cut the cord. Dish seems to be adapting to the changes. Interested to see what they come up with in the future.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

I'm going to build on this and start just taking anything I want without compensating anyone.

I like new cars. Going to just take it. Or maybe take it from a person who stole it from the factory.

Why pay for anything?!? Free stuff!

JH4ISU

Mar 27, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I currently use YouTube TV and have been happy with it, but one thing that will get old fast this fall is no live NBC. Does anyone know why that is the only local they can't get a deal with? Will be a hassle trying to watch SNF and any other NFL on NBC

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I currently use YouTube TV and have been happy with it, but one thing that will get old fast this fall is no live NBC. Does anyone know why that is the only local they can't get a deal with? Will be a hassle trying to watch SNF and any other NFL on NBC
I would rather watch sports over the air vs through the streaming service because the quality is much better.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

https://www.groundedreason.com/youtube-tv-channels/

NBC – Video-on-demand only in Des Moines, Oklahoma City. NBC is live Elsewhere

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Looks like those are the only two NBC affiliates that Tribune owns, so I'm guessing they aren't working with Google

I have DirecTV Now and NBC is the only local I can't stream. Hulu Live doesn't have it either. I have no idea what the hold up might be.

Can anyone stream the Des Moines NBC affiliate?

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I'm sure this might have been answered, but I didn't want to dig through the thread.

So we're thinking about dropping our Direct TV and going to a streaming service. However, we only ever watch shows that we've DVR'd. Do they do a decent enough job of putting new shows out OnDemand, or how do you all get around not having a DVR? I'm thinking for a show like Better Call Saul or something.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I have DirecTV Now and NBC is the only local I can't stream. Hulu Live doesn't have it either. I have no idea what the hold up might be.

Can anyone stream the Des Moines NBC affiliate?
Vue only has KCCI. Looks like Hulu Live has everything but WHO.

Seems like Tribune Broadcasting is refusing to work with OTT services. Their wikipedia page has a handful of entries about carriage fights with cable and satellite providers over the years, so not surprising.

• Informative
Reactions: cycloneG

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I'm sure this might have been answered, but I didn't want to dig through the thread.

So we're thinking about dropping our Direct TV and going to a streaming service. However, we only ever watch shows that we've DVR'd. Do they do a decent enough job of putting new shows out OnDemand, or how do you all get around not having a DVR? I'm thinking for a show like Better Call Saul or something.

We usually just use our streaming service credentials to watch OnDemand shows through the specific network app. For Better Call Saul, you could watch it through the AMC app as soon as it airs.

• Agree
Reactions: jdcyclone19

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

Most of the services have a "DVR". You get access to a cloud-hosted copy of the broadcast, essentially. Vue is unlimited but everything is erased after 28 days. YTTV has something and DTVNow had just rolled out their DVR when my Apple TV trial was up.

You also have access to the media company's OnDemand library within the streaming app. AMC typically has the current season up while the season is airing, and new episodes are available day after airing. There's no warning when they switch what's available OnDemand though. You also can use your login for the AMC app.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

They are pretty good about it. We have DTVN and downloaded all the TV network apps. I use discovery go, history, CW, ESPN and so on. Just log in with the streaming service provider. I actually find the on demand through the app nicer than the DVR, depending on the network. Wife has the TLC, lifetime, food network and all those and never a problem. They seem to update right before or after an episode airs.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
We usually just use our streaming service credentials to watch OnDemand shows through the specific network app. For Better Call Saul, you could watch it through the AMC app as soon as it airs.

Does this also work for something like WatchESPN? I'm looking at the basic tier of Direct TV Now, which doesn't have ESPN U. Which is probably fine except for a few limited times that I'd want to watch a random game. So if I could view those on WatchESPN, then that'd save jumping up to the next package.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Does this also work for something like WatchESPN? I'm looking at the basic tier of Direct TV Now, which doesn't have ESPN U. Which is probably fine except for a few limited times that I'd want to watch a random game. So if I could view those on WatchESPN, then that'd save jumping up to the next package.

I always thought your package had to include that specific channel in order to stream on WatchESPN. Same reason I can't stream the Longhorn Network. It's not part of my tv package.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I always thought your package had to include that specific channel in order to stream on WatchESPN. Same reason I can't stream the Longhorn Network. It's not part of my tv package.

Correct, to watch that channel's app/on demand, your subscription has to include that channel.

Last edited: