Hawaiian vacation to Maui

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
We did a 9 day trip to Oahu (2nights), and Kauai for (7 days) and loved it! This summer we are going to go to Maui. Anyone have any "hidden gems" kind of items that they discovered/enjoyed? Definitely on the itinerary will be snorkeling/snorkel sail and beaches (recommendations welcome). We are open to hotel or air B&B. We will definitely be renting a convertible. We also really enjoyed a mud buggy/ATV tour, so that will probably be happening. Last time we did the luau, and helicopter tour(fun, but been there and done that), so we will probably stay away from those. Things that I have been eyeing are the turtle town snorkel sail trip, the ATV tour, and possibly one of the horseback trips.

Reactions: CYdTracked

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Loved Maui. Snorkeling/whale watching on Molokai Sea Cruises had an open bar at a great price. Also would suggest the Haleakala sunrise & zip tour. I think we went thru Skyline Hawaii. Road to Hana is great and would be fun in a convertible. The best thing about it is you can do it at your own pace/stop where you want. I downloaded an app that was interactive and talked about the stops as you made the drive and then you could decide if you wanted to stop or not.

Reactions: cdnlngld

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
If you get an airbnb go deep sea fish one of the first few days. It's a blast and you'll catch some delicious dinner. Snorkeling trip to see turtles is awesome, some of those guys are huge.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I'll be in Maui myself with family in late June/early July and am looking forward to it.

Definitely second the recommendation on the Highway to Hana. Also, if you can, try and do a day trip to the island of Lan'ai (?); one of the smaller and less developed islands. Really nice beaches and snorkeling over there.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
We have been to Maui many times (we have friends who own a condo that they let us use). Several years ago our friends bought us tickets for Warren & Annabelle's Magic Show. The reason they bought us tickets is because they knew that if they just recommended it, we would likely not go because "magic shows really aren't our thing". So they basically obligated us to go.

Since that time, we have been to the show three times, and have paid it forward by buying other friends tickets when they go to Maui. Warren & Annabelle's is a load of fun. The magic is amazing, and the comedy is equally great.

Here's the catch...It is EXPENSIVE!! And the price has gotten even higher over the last couple of years. You can get tickets for just the show, or you can pay more and get the drinks and tapas before the show. We consider Warren & Annabelles as our splurge night, so we go for the full meal deal. Great option if you want to ditch the kids for a night and surprise your significant other.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
CW should send a list of these international travel threads to potential advertisers.

"See, potential advertiser, this is what you want -- people with way too much disposable income."

• Creative
Reactions: Cycsk

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Baby Beach is a must, especially if you have little kids. There is a reef where the water doesn't get knee-high until your 50+ ft away from the shoreline. Even if you don't have kids it's an awesome place to relax.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
Anyone have a recommendation as to where the best region to stay is (west, south, east, central, or highland)?

Currently I am thinking half of our stay on the west side, and half of our stay on the east side.

When we stayed on Kauai, we stayed on the south coast. it was alright but we spent most of our time enjoying the eastern side of the island with beaches and scenic drives. I recall not caring for the west side of the island because of how dry it was, with the exception of the Napali coast(absolutely breathtaking!), but not many raods.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I'm sure with the MBB playing there, plenty of people have experienced Maui.

An obvious one with Road to Hana. That's a fun little stop here stop there hikes with seeing waterfalls and the trees on the Pipiwai trail. The drive itself is an experience.

Haleakala crater - different times of the day to do this. You can watch sunrise or sunset, but that's going to be the busiest time. But it is very peaceful up there. Depending when you're going and the cycle of the moon, you could go up there late at night and look at stars and the milky way.

Theres a blow hole on the northern part of the island that's cool to see. Although, I would recommend taking the NW route, NOT the NE route as you'll run into 1 lane roads and turns where you may have to back up if you meet locals. The roads aren't the best either.

Whale watching is always a recommendation. We stayed at an airbnb condo instead of a resort, so it was nice for us.

Beach, snorkling, golf (if you're into that).

Have fun!

• Winner
Reactions: Turn2 and cdnlngld

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Anyone have a recommendation as to where the best region to stay is (west, south, east, central, or highland)?

Currently I am thinking half of our stay on the west side, and half of our stay on the east side.

When we stayed on Kauai, we stayed on the south coast. it was alright but we spent most of our time enjoying the eastern side of the island with beaches and scenic drives. I recall not caring for the west side of the island because of how dry it was, with the exception of the Napali coast(absolutely breathtaking!), but not many raods.
We stayed slightly north of Kihei in the middle part of the region so it was easy to hit the road and access any part of the island.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Only thing I tell people is to get in the water.

There's something magical about the Hawaiian waters. Stress just flows away

No lie one day after we were in the ocean at one of the Kauai beaches, there was a shark attack there. TBF, the guy had also been attacked by a cougar (the animal kind, not the white woman kind) and a rattlesnake so I think it was a "him" problem. Definitely on my mind the rest of the trip as a very pregnant not fast moving person.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
For some quality people-watching, go to Little Beach for the drum circle on sunday evening. Do your research before going. I personally think it's a cool experience...but it's not for everyone.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

when did you do Kauai? We also stayed in Poipu area because of the season (April) but then Hanalei and such got flooded all to **** so we couldn't go there anyway. Went up to Napali several times then.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Following because we did Kauai a few years ago and loved it. Spouse and I are toying with the idea of going back next year - he wants to do Maui but I want to see Kauai again too. Plus we'd have kids ~6 and 3 so who even knows if any of it is a good idea.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Following because we did Kauai a few years ago and loved it. Spouse and I are toying with the idea of going back next year - he wants to do Maui but I want to see Kauai again too. Plus we'd have kids ~6 and 3 so who even knows if any of it is a good idea.
Let me know as we’re planning to go back soon with younger.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
Following as well - I'm overdue in planning a trip for the wife & I as a combined 25th Anniversary / 50th Birthday celebratory vacation. Had mainly been thinking Kauai as she already spent a summer in college on the Big Island.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
when did you do Kauai? We also stayed in Poipu area because of the season (April) but then Hanalei and such got flooded all to **** so we couldn't go there anyway. Went up to Napali several times then.
I think we went in like 2017, in Late July Stayed at the Sheraton(garden view room).

For several years after, I thought about the place almost daily. six years later still think about it at least once a month.

...and NO KIDS! We want to keep paradise, paradise! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: cowgirl836

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Loved Maui. Snorkeling/whale watching on Molokai Sea Cruises had an open bar at a great price. Also would suggest the Haleakala sunrise & zip tour. I think we went thru Skyline Hawaii. Road to Hana is great and would be fun in a convertible. The best thing about it is you can do it at your own pace/stop where you want. I downloaded an app that was interactive and talked about the stops as you made the drive and then you could decide if you wanted to stop or not.
Years ago we did the Haleakala sunrise and bike tour. Don't worry if you aren't in shape for biking. It is a 40 mile plus tour from the summit (10,000+ ft.) to the ocean and you need to pedal for less than a mile on the whole thing. You also stop as a group for breakfast at a diner half way down. Be prepared to not see the sunrise though. Even on the morning we went it was a beautiful clear night but the clouds rolled in just as the sky started to lighten up. Still worth it.

If you go up to the summit at another time, don't just stop at the visitor's center. Make sure you continue up a quarter mile or so to the true summit. On a clear day you can see the big island. From the visitor's center you can hike down into Haleakala Crater. It is a strenuous hike at altitude so take water and a snack and take your time. Remember that the hike out will be three times as strenuous as the hike down into the crater. We met a couple from the Denver area. Strangely enough us flatlanders were fine but she struggled with the altitude. You never know...

When you take the Road to Hana I would recommend your destination be the seven pools at Ohe'o on the south east side of the island. Then take the Pipiwai trail hike. It is a great hike partially through a bamboo forest (talk about an invasive species taking over an area) culminating at the foot of the 400' Waimoku Falls. A breezy day makes the bamboo forest unforgetable because the swaying bamboo squeaks and knocks as they bump into each other.

Don't forget the Road to Hana is not a drive you should take lightly. It is a fun drive but be prepared at each turn for the unexpected around the curve. Many people take up more than their half of the road and there are frequent rock and mud slides especially if it has been raining. Have fun, but proceed with caution. Take your dramamine if you get motion sickness.

You may check out a lava tube and black sand beach on the drive to Hana or back. We stopped at one small black sand beach and had it completely to ourselves. Always be aware when posing for pictures in the surf. Big rogue waves can break unexpectedly at some of these beaches and create a picture you weren't planning.

When in Lahaina make sure you check out the Whalers Village Museum. It isn't anything big, but it helps you understand what Hawai'i was like post European arrival but before it was all about tourism. The aquarium at the Maui Ocean Center is worth a stop. It is right near the junction of the road that goes west toward Lahaina and Kanapali.

For a shorter drive on a day that may be too wet for beach time but not a total wash out try Iao Valley.

If you go to one of the beaches in Makena State Park south of Kehei and Wailea, make sure you take the road further south. The road ends in the Ke'one'oio lava fields.