hawk fb program headed to the bottom

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You guys seem to be on a witch hunt to find anyone you may suspect isn't an ISU fan. You don't appear very welcoming to anyone. JMO.

6896128142_70413d68c9.jpg

niknud1127

Jun 22, 2015
If Iowa continues to win games how long are some of you going to hold onto this "they aren't a good team they just have an easy schedule" premise?

I'm guessing we'll continue to hear it the rest of the season, but I'm just curious at what point will you feel like a complete moron saying that an undefeated team playing in the B10 Championship game isn't what a Cyclone fan would consider to be a good team? The irony here is that Cyclone fans consider their football team to be good when they reach 6 or 7 wins. Yet, Iowa could climb to double digit wins and there will still be excuses as to how they got there. I will do anything to not have to admit that Iowa is good damnit!!!!

Last edited:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
There's a good amount of truth in this post but it reeks of jealousy.

I'll be the first to admit I'm jealous of the Hawks. I've never understood ISU fans toting the strength of the Big 12 and what a meat grinder it is. It doesn't matter for ISU at all. I would gladly take the cake walk to bowl eligibility.

That being said, my problem is with the Iowa fans I know running around and talking like their back to their National Power status, up there with the likes of Alabama and tOSU. I've never understood most Iowa fans. They get a few wins under their belts and they run around puffing their chests out like they are the next National Champion. I had a friend tell me Sunday, "Watch out SEC!" Maybe that is envy too. I know if ISU gets a couple of wins under it's belt, I'm usually huddled in a room, waiting for the sky to fall.

niknud1127

Jun 22, 2015
I'll be the first to admit I'm jealous of the Hawks. I've never understood ISU fans toting the strength of the Big 12 and what a meat grinder it is. It doesn't matter for ISU at all. I would gladly take the cake walk to bowl eligibility.

That being said, my problem is with the Iowa fans I know running around and talking like their back to their National Power status, up there with the likes of Alabama and tOSU. I've never understood most Iowa fans. They get a few wins under their belts and they run around puffing their chests out like they are the next National Champion. I had a friend tell me Sunday, "Watch out SEC!" Maybe that is envy too. I know if ISU gets a couple of wins under it's belt, I'm usually huddled in a room, waiting for the sky to fall.

If you have Hawk friends who are claiming to be up there with the likes of Alabama and OSU then they are as delusional as the guys on here who were claiming ISU had a realistic shot at being 4-0 or 5-0 to start the season. I've not heard a Hawk fan in recent history make the claim that they are up there with Bama or OSU. Not even close. Either they are drunk and saying that in jest or they have absolutely no clue what they're talking about.

Being nationally relevant on the other hand... well if they keep winning and climbing in the polls then that argument will speak for itself. The higher your ranking the more relevant you are. Can't really argue that.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
If Iowa continues to win games how long are some of you going to hold onto this "they aren't a good team they just have an easy schedule" premise?

I'm guessing we'll continue to hear it the rest of the season, but I'm just curious at what point will you feel like a complete moron saying that an undefeated team playing in the B10 Championship game isn't what a Cyclone fan would consider to be a good team? The irony here is that Cyclone fans consider their football team to be good when they reach 6 or 7 wins. Yet, Iowa could climb to double digit wins and there will still be excuses as to how they got there. I will do anything to not have to admit that Iowa is good damnit!!!!

Well, if you don't want to hear it, you could always, gee I don't know, not come to this message board.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
If you have Hawk friends who are claiming to be up there with the likes of Alabama and OSU then they are as delusional as the guys on here who were claiming ISU had a realistic shot at being 4-0 or 5-0 to start the season. I've not heard a Hawk fan in recent history make the claim that they are up there with Bama or OSU. Not even close. Either they are drunk and saying that in jest or they have absolutely no clue what they're talking about.

Being nationally relevant on the other hand... well if they keep winning and climbing in the polls then that argument will speak for itself. The higher your ranking the more relevant you are. Can't really argue that.

I thought it was general consensus that you get a few wins under a Hawk fans belts and they become quite delusional.

I wouldn't say my friends have come out and directly said they are as good at Bama or OSU, but there certainly is the talk of playoff and watch out SEC. A lot of chest pumping of the conference in general as well. Somehow, the OSU National Championship last year meant that every team in the Big 10 is that good. Even the ones who haven't had to play tOSU for how many years now?

It's actually this time of year I try to avoid a couple of the Hawk fans I know. Especially the ones who constantly want to tell me the Big 12 is a dead league with no shot at the playoff without a championship game. I remind him how ironic it is that just a few short years ago, he was telling me how dumb it was that the Big 12 had a championship game and that it shouldn't hold any water to get into a BCS game.

Believe me, i know there are plenty of irrational ISU fans, but they just don't seem to puff that chest out into your face and tell you how wrong you are for rooting for the team you root for.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
If you have Hawk friends who are claiming to be up there with the likes of Alabama and OSU then they are as delusional as the guys on here who were claiming ISU had a realistic shot at being 4-0 or 5-0 to start the season.

Thinking ISU could go 4-0 or 5-0 to start the season wasn't too delusional--those were our preseason easiest games. To support this, ISU led Iowa at half and had a very close game until the end. ISU missed an easy FG to win at Toledo. We'll see how ISU does at Tech this week. The delusional ISU fans are those who thought ISU would make a bowl game considering the remaining schedule.

I've not heard a Hawk fan in recent history make the claim that they are up there with Bama or OSU. Not even close. Either they are drunk and saying that in jest or they have absolutely no clue what they're talking about.

It depends on how recent you're looking. I think in the last handful of years, most Hawk fans have been down on Kirk and the team and want more. During Kirk's last great teams, I've often heard Iowa fans compare their "January Bowls" and NFL draft picks to compare to tOSU and Bama. Even without direct comparisons, during the Fry and Kirk years, when Iowa went undefeated against garbage teams, I heard Rose Bowl and National Champ talk before they even played a team with a pulse. Even the CR Gazette promoted some of this.

niknud1127

Jun 22, 2015
I thought it was general consensus that you get a few wins under a Hawk fans belts and they become quite delusional.

I wouldn't say my friends have come out and directly said they are as good at Bama or OSU, but there certainly is the talk of playoff and watch out SEC. A lot of chest pumping of the conference in general as well. Somehow, the OSU National Championship last year meant that every team in the Big 10 is that good. Even the ones who haven't had to play tOSU for how many years now?

It's actually this time of year I try to avoid a couple of the Hawk fans I know. Especially the ones who constantly want to tell me the Big 12 is a dead league with no shot at the playoff without a championship game. I remind him how ironic it is that just a few short years ago, he was telling me how dumb it was that the Big 12 had a championship game and that it shouldn't hold any water to get into a BCS game.

Believe me, i know there are plenty of irrational ISU fans, but they just don't seem to puff that chest out into your face and tell you how wrong you are for rooting for the team you root for.

I'm sorry you know Hawk fans who tell you who you should or should not root for. That's crazy talk.

As far as the puffing your chest goes... Cyclone fans would do the same thing if their football team were worth gloating over. They do it plenty with basketball. I get that it's annoying, but it's not unique to Hawk fans.

It appears KF has Iowa's football program turning the corner again. However, history would suggest it's quite possible they still lose a game or two they have no business losing. Will be interesting to see if or when that happens this year. Injuries have played a role in that in the past also (Stanzi going down for example). Right now ISU has the upper hand on basketball. They certainly spend a lot of time puffing their chest about it. It might be hard to notice when you're one of them, but if you open your eyes it isn't hard to see it. Hell there's a million long page thread on Iowa's recruiting. That alone tells you how obsessed some posters are on here with the constant comparison to Iowa's basketball.

The biggest difference I see, and in my humble Hawkeye opinion, the trump card is that Iowa's basketball program is much better than Iowa State's football program. If Iowa football completes the turnaround by having a great year and Iowa basketball remains a consistent presence in the NCAA tourney then the overall perception of the two biggest sports at each University will be in favor of the Hawks by a large margin.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I'm sorry you know Hawk fans who tell you who you should or should not root for. That's crazy talk.

As far as the puffing your chest goes... Cyclone fans would do the same thing if their football team were worth gloating over. They do it plenty with basketball. I get that it's annoying, but it's not unique to Hawk fans.

It appears KF has Iowa's football program turning the corner again. However, history would suggest it's quite possible they still lose a game or two they have no business losing. Will be interesting to see if or when that happens this year. Injuries have played a role in that in the past also (Stanzi going down for example). Right now ISU has the upper hand on basketball. They certainly spend a lot of time puffing their chest about it. It might be hard to notice when you're one of them, but if you open your eyes it isn't hard to see it. Hell there's a million long page thread on Iowa's recruiting. That alone tells you how obsessed some posters are on here with the constant comparison to Iowa's basketball.

The biggest difference I see, and in my humble Hawkeye opinion, the trump card is that Iowa's basketball program is much better than Iowa State's football program. If Iowa football completes the turnaround by having a great year and Iowa basketball remains a consistent presence in the NCAA tourney then the overall perception of the two biggest sports at each University will be in favor of the Hawks by a large margin.

Our basketball team has been back to back 3 seeds and is a top 10 preseason team this year. Iowa got ranked for the first time in 5 years and Hawk fans wanted KF fired before the season started. ISU basketball has earned the right to gloat some, Iowa still has a lot of work to do

niknud1127

Jun 22, 2015
Thinking ISU could go 4-0 or 5-0 to start the season wasn't too delusional--those were our preseason easiest games. To support this, ISU led Iowa at half and had a very close game until the end. ISU missed an easy FG to win at Toledo. We'll see how ISU does at Tech this week. The delusional ISU fans are those who thought ISU would make a bowl game considering the remaining schedule.

It depends on how recent you're looking. I think in the last handful of years, most Hawk fans have been down on Kirk and the team and want more. During Kirk's last great teams, I've often heard Iowa fans compare their "January Bowls" and NFL draft picks to compare to tOSU and Bama. Even without direct comparisons, during the Fry and Kirk years, when Iowa went undefeated against garbage teams, I heard Rose Bowl and National Champ talk before they even played a team with a pulse. Even the CR Gazette promoted some of this.

1. I'm sorry but it will always be delusional to think ISU has a chance to start the season 4-0 or 5-0 no matter what the schedule is. All you need to do is look at history to support that. Maybe it's happened once or twice, but there is an abundance of evidence to support the position that it's completely delusional to expect an undefeated start to the season in Ames.

2. In terms of wins/losses and accomplishments on the field it is completely delusional for Iowa fans to compare themselves to Bama or OSU. Especially Bama. However, prior to Meyer arriving at OSU their bowl performances weren't all that impressive for quite some time. In terms of NFL draft picks though Iowa fans had every right to make comparisons. They are right up there with the best teams in the country at sending players to the league and they have been for quite some time. They don't send the same type of players, mostly linemen and defensive backs and very little skill position talent, but they absolutely have had an impressive amount of success at getting players to the next level.

niknud1127

Jun 22, 2015
Our basketball team has been back to back 3 seeds and is a top 10 preseason team this year. Iowa got ranked for the first time in 5 years and Hawk fans wanted KF fired before the season started. ISU basketball has earned the right to gloat some, Iowa still has a lot of work to do

Please refer to the last paragraph. I said IF Iowa football completes the turnaround.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
If Iowa football completes the turnaround by having a great year and Iowa basketball remains a consistent presence in the NCAA tourney then the overall perception of the two biggest sports at each University will be in favor of the Hawks by a large margin.

How do you define "completing the turnaround"? Finishing the year with a great record (which is likely I would say), or completing through the bowl game?

Is the turnaround completed if UI's bowl game goes about the same as last year's? If that is the case, how does the reflect on the two sport's combined image?

niknud1127

Jun 22, 2015
It appears the gloating has already began before the turnaround has been completed

Projecting isn't fun for you?

It seemed fun for you when you were projecting Aaron White to not get drafted.

It seemed fun for you when you projected that CJ was worse than Rudock.

Are you the only one who gets to make projections? Isn't that what we're here for? Just because you've eaten some crow doesn't mean that should take the fun away from everyone else.

niknud1127

Jun 22, 2015
How do you define "completing the turnaround"? Finishing the year with a great record (which is likely I would say), or completing through the bowl game?

Is the turnaround completed if UI's bowl game goes about the same as last year's? If that is the case, how does the reflect on the two sport's combined image?

Good question. For me it would be a combination of overall record and performance in the bowl game. If they end the season the way I expect them to then they are going to draw a tough opponent in a bowl game. I don't think it's fair to expect a win in order to deem the season a success at that point. However, I would absolutely expect a good competitive performance. If they trotted out there and shat down their leg like they did against Tennessee then that would be a huge letdown.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Projecting isn't fun for you?

It seemed fun for you when you were projecting Aaron White to not get drafted.

It seemed fun for you when you projected that CJ was worse than Rudock.

Are you the only one who gets to make projections? Isn't that what we're here for? Just because you've eaten some crow doesn't mean that should take the fun away from everyone else.

I don't remember ever going on a Hawk site projecting anything. The amount of Hawk fans that have came out of the woodwork on here since Saturday is insane

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Cyclone fans would do the same thing if their football team were worth gloating over. They do it plenty with basketball. I get that it's annoying, but it's not unique to Hawk fans.

I also just want to add that UI's football program, at least surely according to UI fans (which doesn't discredit the claim may I add), is that the FB program is perennially a solid team, and historically has been. Both ISU football and basketball have not been that. The FB program has light sparks every know and again, few and far between. The basketball program was in a state of averageness/mediocrity until Hoiberg came around and turned it into what many believe to now be a future perennial powerhouse in CBB. Not just ISU fans thinking this, either, ISUBB is on the map nationally. If that can continue for a couple seasons with Prohm, it's pretty fair to say the team has arrived on the big scene. That's a fairly reasonable set of circumstances to gloat about, just ask any historic blue-blood team. One year of noted success doesn't make a program, but 3-5 straight can. And beyond that. It's not about finding success that matters, it's proving that it can be sustained. Whether it can be sustained or not here with BB will be discovered in roughly the next two seasons, but while it's here, I would imagine the loud talking about it has been earned.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
1. I'm sorry but it will always be delusional to think ISU has a chance to start the season 4-0 or 5-0 no matter what the schedule is. All you need to do is look at history to support that. Maybe it's happened once or twice, but there is an abundance of evidence to support the position that it's completely delusional to expect an undefeated start to the season in Ames.

:unsure: You're using an absolute in that statement, which makes your statement very delusional. Yes, traditionally ISU is a terrible football program, however schedule has everything to do with a 4-0 start, especially for ISU. If they hit Iowa on a down year, have the right teams scheduled, KU scheduled early, etc, they could go 4-0. Looking at matchups and likely results is far less delusional than making an absolute statement, regardless of the teams and schedule.

2. In terms of wins/losses and accomplishments on the field it is completely delusional for Iowa fans to compare themselves to Bama or OSU. Especially Bama. However, prior to Meyer arriving at OSU their bowl performances weren't all that impressive for quite some time. In terms of NFL draft picks though Iowa fans had every right to make comparisons. They are right up there with the best teams in the country at sending players to the league and they have been for quite some time. They don't send the same type of players, mostly linemen and defensive backs and very little skill position talent, but they absolutely have had an impressive amount of success at getting players to the next level.

Here is your delusion coming again. Of course Iowa fan can make comparisons in those areas. The problem is they then make said comparisons to the whole programs. Most fans will compare programs on the primary stats of league/division titles, bowl wins, BCS/playoff appearances/wins, rankings, national championships, etc. If you think tOSU wasn't impressive until Urban Meyer came there, you're very very delusional.