Hawks lose 4 star recruit

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
I will say there is a ton of hype for this Kaleb Johnson guy based on basically 2 carries against a god awful Nevada defense. I mean pump the brakes a bit guys.
To me it's less about his two runs and more about he was our staffs #1 RB target.. I'll take our track record. I was bummed to see him pick the hawks instead of someone else.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: g4ce and wclarson

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
This has been a bit of a myth though. Over the last 10 years or so they always have one good lineman and the rest are all average. Iowa hasn't had a dominant line since their orange bowl year in like 2012.
That's the thing guys are going to realize. In recent years they've had two NFL OL in Wirfs and Linderbaum, and those were guys that flashed right away. It was clear they were studs. The program didn't make them into NFL guys. They were on that path already, and Iowa just had to not screw them up.

So if Proctor and others want to say who is going to develop me into the best NFL prospect I can be, those days at Iowa are over. Of course guys like Linderbaum and Wirfs got better, but they were 18-21 year old guys in a college football program. If you show up and are Big10 ready when you step on campus, you're going to be an NFL guy save for injury or something disastrous.

Basically the days of Morgan and Doyle turning walk-ons and unheralded guys into high NFL picks and Rimington and Outland winners enabled them to get guys like Wirfs, Linderbaum and now Proctor.

They used to turn mediocre talent into elite OL. Now they turn good to great talent into mediocre OL.

But that's what happens when they push Morgan out of the way to make room for Brain and when Doyle's reign of terror caught up with them.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
That's the thing guys are going to realize. In recent years they've had two NFL OL in Wirfs and Linderbaum, and those were guys that flashed right away. It was clear they were studs. The program didn't make them into NFL guys. They were on that path already, and Iowa just had to not screw them up.

So if Proctor and others want to say who is going to develop me into the best NFL prospect I can be, those days at Iowa are over. Of course guys like Linderbaum and Wirfs got better, but they were 18-21 year old guys in a college football program. If you show up and are Big10 ready when you step on campus, you're going to be an NFL guy save for injury or something disastrous.

Basically the days of Morgan and Doyle turning walk-ons and unheralded guys into high NFL picks and Rimington and Outland winners enabled them to get guys like Wirfs, Linderbaum and now Proctor.

They used to turn mediocre talent into elite OL. Now they turn good to great talent into mediocre OL.

But that's what happens when they push Morgan out of the way to make room for Brain and when Doyle's reign of terror caught up with them.
I bunked with Brian Ferentz in section 8 housing... he was on top.

There's been a few more than that, but your point isn't completely off.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

There's been a few more than that, but your point isn't a bad one.
There have been more, but I'm thinking of recent guys that are high picks that a guy like Proctor might use as a comparison. And I realize Wirfs and Linderbaum weren't high recruits, but they played early and in the case of Wirfs flashed serious talent, even with a little inconsistency. Linderbaum was just flat out damn good right out of the gates.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
There have been more, but I'm thinking of recent guys that are high picks that a guy like Proctor might use as a comparison. And I realize Wirfs and Linderbaum weren't high recruits, but they played early and in the case of Wirfs flashed serious talent, even with a little inconsistency. Linderbaum was just flat out damn good right out of the gates.

Wirfs and Linderbaum were pretty highly-rated recruits. Wirfs was a 4*, Lindy was an Army All-American, albeit at DL not OL. We also had James Daniels who left in 2018 and was a highly-rated recruit. Then there are guys like Ike Boettger who came in unheralded and signed in 2018 and has been active on an NFL roster since. But I agree with your broader point that Iowa's OL has tanked for the most part since the days of Morgan.

Reactions: aauummm

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron