Hawks Vickie Brown fired

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I'm not sure how you can say that out of hand without context. What if the other teams on the bubble have a worse headscratching loss?

When trying to get into the tournament you aren't competing against some nebulous standard, you are competing against the other teams on the bubble trying to get in.
I get the point, but does another team anywhere close to the bubble have a loss as bad as that match against Iowa?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Somewhat shocking for this to be done with 8 matches left on their schedule. Given Barta's past history with lawsuits from fired coaches, It is interesting that TOE's press release indicates that Brown is being terminated, without cause.

This is just contractual. Obviously there's a cause (not winning) but nothing contract-breaking, so they'll owe whatever the contract dictates was owed as opposed to a clean break. Termination with cause, depending on the contract, comes after things like violations of university policy/the law/NCAA violations.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
This is just contractual. Obviously there's a cause (not winning) but nothing contract-breaking, so they'll owe whatever the contract dictates was owed as opposed to a clean break. Termination with cause, depending on the contract, comes after things like violations of university policy/the law/NCAA violations.
I think most everyone here knows that but the point was you generally don't see with or without cause in AD press releases.

Crazyape22

Feb 22, 2019
I don't understand why ISU nor Iowa can't get top recruits even if they're not from Iowa, both are great schools. I don't think playing in Hilton makes that big of an impact in recruiting. I know some girls that think/thought it/it's great. I don't like calling out players but ISU has a great setter & the OH position is not using that to their advantage. But when you are taken out & put back in continuously, how can you even stay warm. Coaches seem to panic & think they will get better production out of the next one...we see how that's work in the last few years.

UNI survived during the Karlie Taylor reign - since she left, they are struggling.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Brown's past and poor record made it convenient for UoI to end her stay. Hawk's may scrap together the funds for a better coach for their new VB Arena. Xtream Arena's, in Coralville, opening certainly will attract some recruits; that, and a new coach, could be be the start of something.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Brown's past and poor record made it convenient for UoI to end her stay. Hawk's may scrap together the funds for a better coach for their new VB Arena. Xtream Arena's, in Coralville, opening certainly will attract some recruits; that, and a new coach, could be be the start of something.
Hopefully, they leave the ice down for volleyball. That would be interesting...

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Hopefully, they leave the ice down for volleyball. That would be interesting...

They had to cancel two games last month because the vb floor was frozen or wet from the ice underneath. You think an engineer would have figured that out but it is UI engineers so maybe not. They had to move the games to the Carver sinkhole Arena on short notice.

Reactions: StClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
They had to cancel two games last month because the vb floor was frozen or wet from the ice underneath. You think an engineer would have figured that out but it is UI engineers so maybe not. They had to move the games to the Carver sinkhole Arena on short notice.
You can do other "dry" activities on top of ice with an appropriate ice cover under your volleyball, basketball, etc. floor. The problem is you need to be really careful with humidity in the space since high humidity can cause condensation to form on the playing surface and once that cycle starts it will take you a while to stop it from keep happening. It isn't like you can just wipe up the water and you are good to play a match.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Hilton was originally set up with an ice arena. The club team as well as intramural hockey played there. The basketball floor was put up and taken down a lot back then.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Hilton was originally set up with an ice arena. The club team as well as intramural hockey played there. The basketball floor was put up and taken down a lot back then.
The basketball court is on a floating floor with egg shaped cups which insulate it from the sub floor and the ice. The volleyball court is close to the sub floor that covers the ice not enough insulation or barrier so it froze. I played hockey in Hilton as a kid saw them put down the floor after hockey practice plenty of times.