Heard in the stands: UNI edition

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Mine was interesting.... first time at these seats.

Person near me (wearing an Ed Wilson ISU jersey, #13 and Wilson in white on the back), "when did they move Lanning to LB? Last year or in camp?"

The person next to him leaned over, and that was the last I heard a word on that topic.

What stories to you have?

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
The old lady in front of us was so drunk she passed out on the dude next to her. He husband came back drom getting food and did not look pleased.

Not sure why, but the seats next to us are always bought by overweight people who spread their legs out like crazy. We sit on the end for this reason but I'm gonna buy setbacks for the Iowa game.

While I'm thinking about it, why do seatbacks make the seat so much smaller? I feel like im falling off everytime i have one.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We're in mobile pass seats, so each week will be new people. Early on, mom & early teen daughter had a 15-20 minute snipe fest about not constantly texting, and putting the phone away. Yeah. That phone would have been shut off and in my purse...if I had even let her have one in the first place. I'm so mean... :)

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
The old lady in front of us was so drunk she passed out on the dude next to her. He husband came back drom getting food and did not look pleased.

Not sure why, but the seats next to us are always bought by overweight people who spread their legs out like crazy. We sit on the end for this reason but I'm gonna buy setbacks for the Iowa game.

While I'm thinking about it, why do seatbacks make the seat so much smaller? I feel like im falling off everytime i have one.
Pro tip from someone who dealt with this. The seatbacks are not enough to stop them. You need to get a program and wedge it beside your seat so that if they encroach, it digs into their leg and they pull the leg back. It worked pretty well for us.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Lady in section 15 row ~27 with the most annoying yelling I've ever heard at a game. First game in these seats and really hoping shes not a season ticket holder.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Pro tip from someone who dealt with this. The seatbacks are not enough to stop them. You need to get a program and wedge it beside your seat so that if they encroach, it digs into their leg and they pull the leg back. It worked pretty well for us.

?? Like fold a program and stick it under the seat?

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
A dad and his two sons were sitting behind me and late in the 4th Q the sons were begging their dad to go home.
"Dad the game is over, ISU is going to win... lets go dad, I'm tired... we know who is going to win. They can't comeback, lets just go."
Dad is just ignoring them wanting to watch the rest of the game.
After some more pleading and begging the dad finally said this:
"The game isn't over until the clock hits zero. If you keep watching Iowa State, you'll understand what I mean..."

My reaction was similar to this:
giphy.gif

Cardinal&Gold11

Nov 6, 2007
The land of Eastern Iowa University
A dad and his two sons were sitting behind me and late in the 4th Q the sons were begging their dad to go home.
"Dad the game is over, ISU is going to win... lets go dad, I'm tired... we know who is going to win. They can't comeback, lets just go."
"The game isn't over until the clock hits zero. If you keep watching Iowa State, you'll understand what I mean..."

giphy.gif

Perfect reaction GIF. Those kids just don't understand yet what it truly means to be a Cyclone fan. My hope is that we finally move on from those moments, and that Campbell is the guy to do it.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

giphy.gif

My line to people like this is, why would anyone want to leave early when we are winning.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

giphy.gif

His kids need to watch a few of the last 10 KSU games to understand.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Loved the young adults next to us. Asked them if they would be back next week and very sad they said no, so probably obnoxious Hawk fans will be there next week.

Kid behind us asked why the Hawkeyes had a little purple on their uniforms.:cool:

UNI couple near us left at half, tried to bet the kids they wouldn't return but consensus was they didn't have another trip up steps in them.

Clones123

May 5, 2016
Des Moines, IA
Sat in the upper level of the student section with a couple friends, and the girl by us was incredibly drunk. Wouldn't have had an issue with it if her friends behind me didn't keep switching seats back and forth with her. Stepped on my toes at least 5 times, fell on me twice, and at some point managed to kick my friend and I in the back of the head. How on earth does one do that!? If you're that belligerent, just stay out of the stands! Was relieved when that entire group left after halftime.

• Creative
  • Agree
Reactions: FBFAN and isu2014

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Sat in the upper level of the student section with a couple friends, and the girl by us was incredibly drunk. Wouldn't have had an issue with it if her friends behind me didn't keep switching seats back and forth with her. Stepped on my toes at least 5 times, fell on me twice, and at some point managed to kick my friend and I in the back of the head. How on earth does one do that!? If you're that belligerent, just stay out of the stands! Was relieved when that entire group left after halftime.
Honestly, that's one thing I've never understood...going to a game or a concert and getting so blottoed beforehand that you don't enjoy the game, don't remember the game, and feel like crap the next morning. Worse yet - you pay money to do it! You should get a rock and hit yourself in the head. Same result, less expensive. :)

Generic YOU, of course!

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Honestly, that's one thing I've never understood...going to a game or a concert and getting so blottoed beforehand that you don't enjoy the game, don't remember the game, and feel like crap the next morning. Worse yet - you pay money to do it! You should get a rock and hit yourself in the head. Same result, less expensive. :)

Generic YOU, of course!

ever been to an OU game at JTS? ;-)

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

If the seat backs are like they used to be when we sat in them, the back itself pushes you forward (we always told them not to install the backs) and the seat cushions were attached at the wrong place. And really, without sides, they don't necessarily keep other bodies from sliding over the seat cushion. As KC already said.