Hedrick Construction, Central Iowa Builders

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Does anyone have any experience with either of these two contractors? I have a small residential job, and both have given me comparable estimates. I've had good conversations with both and, at this point, I have no reason to put one in front of the other.

Good/bad experiences? Are either known Cyclone or hawk boosters? Advice?

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I had Hedrick do some roof work for me a few years ago. I had some problems with it a year later and the owner came out and looked at it and even though there was some problems with it, he wasn't going to claim any responsibility to fix it. Real nice guy to get the job but not so interested afterwards. I couldn't recommend Hedrick Construction.

Henks4Cy

Apr 1, 2010
Ditto on Hedrick, Had them do a repair job for me and explained what my problems were. They did replace my gutters and soffit board, but did not fixed the problem. Later, when I asked them about the situation, first I heard lies, them that other things were not right. These are the same things I asked them to fix. I would stay away from them.

PKirch

Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
My experience with Shawn Hedrick could not have been more different. I had him replace my roof and gutters in 2011. He was very professional and his quote was the most comprehensive I received. The work was done on time and the price did not exceed the quote.

Later in the year, I was replacing a few soffit boards, and could see the underside of the roof when I was doing this. I found one spot where the underside of the plywood was rotted. I took a picture, sent it to Shawn, and asked if his work didn't include replacement of that component of the roof.

He had someone at my home within 24 hours. They tore off the shingles, replaced the entire piece of plywood, and replaced the paper and shingles.

Take it for what it's worth - they missed a bad spot when they did the main job, and had I not needed to replace soffit, I would not have seen the defect - but the service was excellent when I pointed out the mistake.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
I appreciate the feedback. Common theme here, in addition to a couple of customer service issues, is problems with the original work. And if you don't stand behind your work, that tells me a lot, even if it happens just once.

Any thoughts on Central Iowa Builders would be welcomed!

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Large contractors are only as good as the worst crew member on your job. Think about the kids you went to high school with who never moved away, bounced around from job to job in the ol' hometown, and ended up working construction. That's the guy. There will be problems with the initial work. Always is. Whether they will keep coming back until it's done right is the question. Sounds like Hedrick will come back and fix it --- if you have photos.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Time is money. They finish the job as fast as possible and move on to the next. If they took some shortcuts and have to come back, it's no big deal to them. They'll come back and fix it and still end up ahead due to the time they saved on the initial job. That's roofing when you take the lowest bid.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Large contractors are only as good as the worst crew member on your job. Think about the kids you went to high school with who never moved away, bounced around from job to job in the ol' hometown, and ended up working construction. That's the guy. There will be problems with the initial work. Always is. Whether they will keep coming back until it's done right is the question. Sounds like Hedrick will come back and fix it --- if you have photos.

They didn't with mine and if you look at the one favorable post had he not fixed the soffit and discovered the careless work the next problem could have been a lot worse. I agree with you that some of the guys are better than others but Shawn Hedrick will get the blame and ultimately it's his reputation on the line.