"Hell was made for deadbeat moms" sign

beatiowa

Dec 21, 2008
Berkeley, CA
Has anyone else seen this sign? It's on Highway 20 near Iowa Falls/Owasa, and it's always amused me on my home-ISU commute. There used to be another one that said "Deadbeat moms get fat off child support," but it's been gone for a while.

You've gotta wonder what happened to this guy that he's so angry about. :biglaugh:

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
Those signs always gave me a chuckle too. Somebody got taken to the cleaners.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Since it's at the end of a field, I can't tell which house it belongs to. But it makes me want to go knocking on doors asking, "Dude, what the hell happened?"

pokyhawk

May 14, 2010
I wish they would look into this stuff. There is probably just as many moms as dads but the dads always get the bad spot light. In my case my daughters mom always stops working several months before she can ask for more money so she has zero income. She then goes back to work after she gets it and there is nothing I can do about it. The laws are there to protect the mom.

MJVO

Oct 6, 2009
Deadbeat moms get fat off of child support---was the other sign that must have been taken down.

Absolutely correct. The second sign has been gone for 8-12 months. I laugh every time I drive that stretch of US 20 wondering what the story is.

KeyserSoze

Apr 30, 2010
That's been up for 6 years that I know of - it could be time for the guy to get over it.

On a similar note there used to be a farm just east of I-35 on old highway 20 that had several signs about how crooked the Iowa Falls bank was. He even had huge letters on the roof of the barn. I don't know if the signs are still there or not - maybe the bank foreclosed on the place and took the signs down.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Where are you from?

I must zone out on that stretch of 20 because I've never noticed it.

It's just east of Iowa Falls, or if you're coming from Waterloo/Cedar Falls, just west of the "big curve" in Highway 20 if I remember correctly.

It's one of my favorite parts of the drive! LOVE THAT SIGN!

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
It's just east of Iowa Falls, or if you're coming from Waterloo/Cedar Falls, just west of the "big curve" in Highway 20 if I remember correctly.

It's one of my favorite parts of the drive! LOVE THAT SIGN!
That would be why - I usually join up with 20 heading West at the Hwy 65 intersection.

ISULifer

Jul 30, 2008
When I first came to ISU I noticed that sign on the way to Ames from Illinois...I remember thinking...holy crap what have I gotten myself into!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I wish they would look into this stuff. There is probably just as many moms as dads but the dads always get the bad spot light. In my case my daughters mom always stops working several months before she can ask for more money so she has zero income. She then goes back to work after she gets it and there is nothing I can do about it. The laws are there to protect the mom.

I agree but at the same time they need to be. More often than not the kids stay with the mother. The kids need to be protected. That, of course, does not excuse the mother taking advantage of the system as they often do.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
The other side of the sign says hell was made for deadbeat dads.

He's an equal opportunity kind of criticizer.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
The first time I encountered that sign, one of my daughters (2nd grader), thought the sign meant that hell was for dead moms. It made for a little chuckle in our van & some interesting conversation/explanation for the rest our trip to Iowa Falls.