Hello all and a small request

Shoop

Jun 4, 2008
Ames
Hello all, long time viewer who recently decided to fully indulge my addiction to this site by officially registering...looking forward to discussing many things as the seasons progress. Just recently recieved my B.S. from ISU in Kinesiology & Health and will be embarking on my M.S. in neural basis of human movment this fall. First thing however, I did have one small request since I have seen everything from wills to weather discussed on this board...this saturday I'm playing best man for one of my best friends in high school. I have a pretty decent toast already, but I was wondering if anybody on CF might have some ideas for funny best man jokes to insert into my toast? Thanks a lot!

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Hello all, long time viewer who recently decided to fully indulge my addiction to this site by officially registering...looking forward to discussing many things as the seasons progress. Just recently recieved my B.S. from ISU in Kinesiology & Health and will be embarking on my M.S. in neural basis of human movment this fall. First thing however, I did have one small request since I have seen everything from wills to weather discussed on this board...this saturday I'm playing best man for one of my best friends in high school. I have a pretty decent toast already, but I was wondering if anybody on CF might have some ideas for funny best man jokes to insert into my toast? Thanks a lot!
"Well, I was reading on how to do this toast thing, and I read it shouldn't last longer than the groom tonight, so this is all for now."

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
"Well, I was reading on how to do this toast thing, and I read it shouldn't last longer than the groom tonight, so this is all for now."

Ok, this is perfect! I'd suggest using that in this manner.

You go first, have the Maid of Honor go 2nd. Give this line, sit down and give the mic (assuming you have one) to her. All will seriously think you're done. Perfect.

She finishes, you stand up and say "Well, I figured the groom would get his 2nd wind about now and I think I've got mine as well" or something like that - then continue on with your already prepared toast.

Welcome and good luck!

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I thought that the "keys" toast was a funny one. Don't know how well it's known, though.

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007
Ok, this is perfect! I'd suggest using that in this manner.

You go first, have the Maid of Honor go 2nd. Give this line, sit down and give the mic (assuming you have one) to her. All will seriously think you're done. Perfect.

She finishes, you stand up and say "Well, I figured the groom would get his 2nd wind about now and I think I've got mine as well" or something like that - then continue on with your already prepared toast.

Welcome and good luck!

^^^^^^^^^^^ That is a great idea and would be hilarious, IMO:cool:

Shoop

Jun 4, 2008
Ames
Thanks for the ideas...that video was hilarious...just was a little curious what the key toast is? Anybody familiar with it care to share?

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
Key Toast is when the best man asks for all women with a key to the groom's home to turn them in to the groom immediately. Before the ceremony, all women (and occasionally some men just for kicks) are given a fake key from the best man that they give the groom. That's how it was at my cousin's, I've also heard of weddings where all of the men turn in their keys to the bride.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
Key Toast is when the best man asks for all women with a key to the groom's home to turn them in to the groom immediately. Before the ceremony, all women (and occasionally some men just for kicks) are given a fake key from the best man that they give the groom. That's how it was at my cousin's, I've also heard of weddings where all of the men turn in their keys to the bride.

Also, it's really funny if one of the last to come up and drop off the key are the mother or grandmother of the bride. The crowd really gets a kick out of that one.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I think it would be quite amusing to give a key to a girl that can eaisly be rather dramatic (not hard to find). Have everyone bring up the keys except her. Note that there's clearly one key missing. Be "forced" to repeat it.

Finally, she leaps from her seat and storms up to the head table, exclaiming something about "Fine (bride's name), you can have him!", slam down the key and have her "walk out" of the reception - only to come back a couple minutes later.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I think it would be quite amusing to give a key to a girl that can eaisly be rather dramatic (not hard to find). Have everyone bring up the keys except her. Note that there's clearly one key missing. Be "forced" to repeat it.

Finally, she leaps from her seat and storms up to the head table, exclaiming something about "Fine (bride's name), you can have him!", slam down the key and have her "walk out" of the reception - only to come back a couple minutes later.
There'd be rep coming your way from me, but I have to spread it around :mad:

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I was in a wedding a couple weeks ago where the best man said words could not describe his feelings for the couple, so he'd express himself through interpretive dance. I was sitting right there, I missed the introduction, but got most of the dancing. He even cued the DJ with Chariots of Fire or something.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37XwcVGzxEc]YouTube - Dusty's Interprative Dance[/ame]

Oh yeah....and he's a Hawkeye fan.....:wideeyed:

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Keep is short and sweet - no matter how funny you are you'll bomb if it lasts more than 3 mins.

Pick 2 stories about the groom/couple - 1 funny, 1 mushy, do them in that order

I also like to start by doing the toast first, say "here's to me getting through this without you throwing something" or "this will be way better if I get a little liquor in you"

always a winner.

lastly 2 things:
-> don't let the maid of honor be funnier than you.
-> don't suck.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
lastly 2 things:
-> don't let the maid of honor be funnier than you.

I've been to a ton of weddings, and it's my experience that, unless they happen to have public speaking experience, the women's side of the toasts generally suck. Someone usually starts crying, or talks about that one time when they were in college and someone did something crazy.

I'm lucky enough to have a group of friends where we all have a lot of public speaking experience, so my bridesmaids' toasts were all jokes and fun.

The big thing that I would recommend is to try and tie your story, no matter how funny or weird it is, to the bride and groom in some way. If you can make it sound like you're giving an example of how perfect they are for each other, or how committed one is to the relationship or something, you'll please everyone.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron