Help: Considering buying an 02 Audi A6

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
I am looking into buying a 2002 A6 with 100,000 miles on it. I have never been one for buying older cars but am going into debt consolidation mode with baby #2 on the way. I would be buying from a family member who is trustworthy but I have read some negative stories about the 02 A6 after 100,000 miles along with the really good stories.

I'm just trying to get more feedback from people who have this car or have had this car. I would probably be paying between $4-4,500 for it if I had to guess. Good deal or bad deal?

TIA

Last edited:

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Most of the European imports tend(particularly that vintage) to break down more often and the parts are really really expensive. I think you'd be better off buying an old Toyota or Honda. Actually some of the Chevy and Ford options are pretty good. You can buy an old Chevy Impala pretty cheap and get a lot of bang for the buck. Parts are much cheaper.

Last edited:

SwirlingFloater

Dec 19, 2008
West Des Moines
We had a used Benz for a while that was a great car, but when repairs became necessary the cost was pretty crazy. We have friends that had a used Audi that they loved... but I think they experienced the same thing with expensive repairs. Repairs seem to be twice as costly as domestic vehicles.

Bamacyclone

Jan 7, 2012
SE
Wife had a 2003 A6 that she drove for 3 years. Rode and handled nicely for sure. Had a few odd electrical issues over the 3 years that required multiple shop visits that we're never diagnosed/resolved; dash lights blinking on/off and sensors going off falsely types of errors.

We moved to Houston and we didn't trust it for her drive downtown, so we exchanged for an Acura.

As previous poster noted, repair costs were similar to BMW and higher than domestic.

A couple of friends drive Audis and love them. I wouldn't buy another.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
God no. Those things are money pits when they get older. The maintenance and fixing of things u expect in a higher mileage car cost a LOT more.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
Money pit. Walk away and get a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. My used Audi cost an arm and leg in repairs, I got rid of it after a year and went back to Honda Accords.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
It doesn't matter how trustworthy the person is. The second you have a car issue you are going to think they pulled one over on you.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I love my 2004 A4 but would not buy any 10 year old Audi with 100k miles on it. If you want a 10 year old luxury car I would chase down a used Lexus. I have a couple of friends I call the Black Lexus Mafia. They both drive old 400 series black Lexus with over 200k on them as their business car.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
As mention in numerous other posts. Just get on a monthly payment plan with your mechanic, sign over your first born as collateral and you will be fine.

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
My son is a salesman who puts lots of miles on his cars. For some years now, he has bought used Lexuses (300 series) with about 70,000 miles on them; he then puts another 100,000 on them before reselling them. He has not had any serious problems with these cars (on his fourth car now) and he claims they still are running well when he sells them. I know one example doth not an argument make, but that's my story.

Feb 6, 2013
While they are often great cars, European models tend to have a higher TCO than American or Asian cars. So if your're looking to tighten your budget, you may not be doing yourself any favors.

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
It's nice to actually get useful advice on here instead of a bunch of sarcasm. Thanks! I was tempted by being able to pay cash and get rid of my current payment.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I love Audi, Mercedes, BMW etc...........until they have no warranty.

I own an Audi and two Porsches so I am an expert on this subject! My sister calls them "my kids don't need to go to college" cars. Inside family joke, I don't have kids.

Last edited:

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
My son is a salesman who puts lots of miles on his cars. For some years now, he has bought used Lexuses (300 series) with about 70,000 miles on them; he then puts another 100,000 on them before reselling them. He has not had any serious problems with these cars (on his fourth car now) and he claims they still are running well when he sells them. I know one example doth not an argument make, but that's my story.

I agree that they are pretty much bulletproof but your not going to find an ES350(or ES330) w/70k miles for $5k. You'd be lucky to find a 10 year old Camry for that price.

On a side note I've heard a good way to buy a used European car is through carmax and get their warranty. It's expensive but it covers nearly everything. Of course carmax isn't going to carry cars this cheap so throw that out the window.