Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
How effective have people been keeping weight off when they go off the drug? I ask because I have known several people who have had lap band/gastric bypass and both did not keep the weight off. Are people just signing up for a lifetime prescription to keep the weight off?
As it currently stands people are signing up for a lifetime prescription however the frequency and delivery mechanisms will be evolving over time.

A study was just released which is the longest study we have and people kept 10-15% of their starting weight off. Because of the way the drug works you will almost certainly gain the weight back if you go off the drug but as long as you keep using it then your weight loss stays consistent. With an even better focus on diet and exercise that percentage can be a lot higher

• Informative
Reactions: NorthCyd

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I know the female population on this site is pretty small but wanted to mention a trend we are starting to see with regards to the GLP-1 inhibitors that are exploding in popularity right now. There is increasing evidence that these drugs are effecting the absorption and efficacy of many oral contraceptives. Had a 51 year old woman come into the ED yesterday with a wide variety of symptoms who turned out to be pregnant. They are also having a dramatic increase in fertility rates for people the suffer from PCOS.

Again most likely not the population that cares on here but with how wide spread these drugs are going to become it’s a good thing to know.
I have a friend who got pregnant at 51 when these drugs weren’t even a thing. She thought it was menopause and getting fat until she starting feeling familiar movements. Her oldest son was 30 at the time. At least she still had a 16 year old at home who helped with middle of the night cause that is pretty rough on a 54 year old dad and 51 year old mom. She’s got a grandson nine years older than his aunt. Her husband hopes to work into his 70’s for his daughter’s medical insurance.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Bolded is key here--is it expected to be taken forever?

I suppose that's a case by case situation like many other things.

The evidence is out there that some folks have put the weight back on if they stop.
Has to be taken forever.

Also to answer your other question when going on a GLP you must start a strength training program or else you risk muscle loss. This is a newer recommendation as the drugs become more wide spread and we see more results. The other part about the proper diet/nutrition becomes much more of a non factor on the drug. Still should be pursued but the drug kinda puts you in that mindset anyways. That’s why it’s getting the miracle drug label.

• Informative
Reactions: madguy30 and MJ29

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Ok, but that doesn't really answer my question.
Obviously the long term effects need to be studied. But if the benefits outweigh the side effects, why does someone necessarily have to come off it? Think about it like ADHD or anxiety - it's management of a chronic condition. Yes there are coping strategies (i.e. diet and exercise), but we don't expect someone with ADHD/anxiety to ever stop taking their meds and rely just on the coping strategies.

Using medication (or gastric bypass) is not cheating. Doing it "the old fashioned way" doesn't make some a better person. It's all about improving health outcomes over the long term.

Reactions: MJ29

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The place I work out at, despite clear signs about the “rules”, there has been an influx of younger teens using the machines and dumbbells. Actually when I say using the machines, I mean that loosely as they spend 95% of the time on their phones, taking selfies and/or talking to their friends. Now I was a dumb kid once too but how much should this actually bother me or is this get off my lawn stuff? I have 45 min to get my workout in starting at 5AM when they open and I don’t have time to wait for machines and stuff and go do something else while this young morons sit there snapping “good morning pics” to their GFs.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Obviously the long term effects need to be studied. But if the benefits outweigh the side effects, why does someone necessarily have to come off it? Think about it like ADHD or anxiety - it's management of a chronic condition. Yes there are coping strategies (i.e. diet and exercise), but we don't expect someone with ADHD/anxiety to ever stop taking their meds and rely just on the coping strategies.

Using medication (or gastric bypass) is not cheating. Doing it "the old fashioned way" doesn't make some a better person. It's all about improving health outcomes over the long term.
I don't know why you seem to think I am being critical of the drug. You are implying a whole lot of things that I never said. I don't know anything about it and was curious if you needed to stay on it to be effective. Apparently the answer is yes.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
The place I work out at, despite clear signs about the “rules”, there has been an influx of younger teens using the machines and dumbbells. Actually when I say using the machines, I mean that loosely as they spend 95% of the time on their phones, taking selfies and/or talking to their friends. Now I was a dumb kid once too but how much should this actually bother me or is this get off my lawn stuff? I have 45 min to get my workout in starting at 5AM when they open and I don’t have time to wait for machines and stuff and go do something else while this young morons sit there snapping “good morning pics” to their GFs.

This would irritate me too. I don't think you're being unreasonable.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
You had me until 5am, what teens are getting up that early?

Btw I agree on the annoying part, have you asked them if you can work in? Most of the time when asked they just move or we just alternate. Kinda get off my lawn territory but I get it

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I don't know why you seem to think I am being critical of the drug. You are implying a whole lot of things that I never said. I don't know anything about it and was curious if you needed to stay on it to be effective. Apparently the answer is yes.
I think he was referring to the poster saying the ol natural way is way everyone should be doing it, not necessarily referring to your post specifically

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
My apologies. There is a large proportion of people - particularly "fitness influencers" and medical people with large social media followings - who have really pushed back on anything other than diet and exercise. They try to deligitimize anyone who loses weight any other way. They claim its unhealthy, unnatural, and indicates a character flaw. Many times any weightloss discussion where these meds come up devolve into that line of thinking and I wanted to head that off.

Frankly most people here aren't obese by societal standards. Sure we're all overweight, and some are fat, but most of us you would look at and not call them obese. Well I am. I always have been, since early grade school. Even after losing a bunch of weight, I'm still usually one of the fattest couple people in the room. So I do get defensive when I hear people say there is a "right way" and a "wrong way" to lose weight. As long as it leads to better long term health outcomes for the individual, we shouldn't take options off the table. Even if that means medication for the rest of their life.

Reactions: CascadeClone

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
My apologies. There is a large proportion of people - particularly "fitness influencers" and medical people with large social media followings - who have really pushed back on anything other than diet and exercise. They try to deligitimize anyone who loses weight any other way. They claim its unhealthy, unnatural, and indicates a character flaw. Many times any weightloss discussion where these meds come up devolve into that line of thinking and I wanted to head that off.

Frankly most people here aren't obese by societal standards. Sure we're all overweight, and some are fat, but most of us you would look at and not call them obese. Well I am. I always have been, since early grade school. Even after losing a bunch of weight, I'm still usually one of the fattest couple people in the room. So I do get defensive when I hear people say there is a "right way" and a "wrong way" to lose weight. As long as it leads to better long term health outcomes for the individual, we shouldn't take options off the table. Even if that means medication for the rest of their life.

Amen to all this. If there was a 100 percent one surefire way for people to lose weight, it would be much easier. Sure, diet and exercise are key, but it's not that simple for a lot of people.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I have a friend who got pregnant at 51 when these drugs weren’t even a thing. She thought it was menopause and getting fat until she starting feeling familiar movements. Her oldest son was 30 at the time. At least she still had a 16 year old at home who helped with middle of the night cause that is pretty rough on a 54 year old dad and 51 year old mom. She’s got a grandson nine years older than his aunt. Her husband hopes to work into his 70’s for his daughter’s medical insurance.

That is terrifying.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Lots of people have been able to lose weight, but it is not easy and it is rare for them to keep the weight off. There are many factors not working in their favor. These GLP-1s are not the "answer", but they can help some people who have struggled with their weight their whole lives.

From a nutrition standpoint, I'm still amazed at how little education there is on proper nutrition. Even medical professionals don't have a lot of education in nutrition. Fat loss does usually come down to having a calorie deficit, but most people don't understand how to eat right.

Preparing a healthy meal can taste good and doesn't have to be difficult. There is this mentality out there that a healthy meal is very expensive and difficult to prepare and takes lots of ingredients. Part of me thinks that way of thinking is just a way for food companies to push people towards processed foods.

The past few months, I've learned that my healthy eating has simplified my cooking. I also found that my grocery bill has gone down since I've started to eat healthier. If you need any healthy meal suggestions, feel free to message me and I can provide many that I prepare and like. I also have young kids and I make sure to not let their picky eating deter me from having a healthy meal.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
5 AM?? Teens?

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
My gym is the same way. I work out after work around 4-5pm and can typically get everything done in under a hour unless the teens/early 20 crowd is in there with their crocs and pajama pants on. Typically I give them a longer leash unless it’s going crazy long. I usually will ask them in a stern but not rude voice “how many sets you guys have left” and they typically get flustered and do one more set and move on. Works everytime.

Reactions: Letterkenny