Help with Thanksgving Dinner

wolverine68

Mar 30, 2007
Urbandale
www.gvc.edu
Okay, this is going to sound silly, but for the first time I am in charge of making Thanksgiving dinner for some family and friends (there will only be six of us) and I'm obsessing over more than I should (it's always been one of my favorite holidays and I don't want to ruin it for others).
I'm looking for any help that you can offer, recipes, preparation tips, serving ideas, literally anything you have learned from your experiences. Here is what I'm planning on serving:

Turkey breasts (not going to do a full turkey, I'm a wimp)
Cranberry salad
Mashed potatos
Sweet potatos
Green bean casserole
Oyster stew (it's a family tradition, but I've never made it)
Gravy
Stuffing
Dinner rolls (the one thing I might not make from scratch)

Any suggestions would be welcome! Oh, one more thing, one of my guests doesn't eat mammals, so fish and fowl are fine, but no other meat.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I like to add a small can or jar of sliced mushrooms to my green bean casserole. For the turkey, if you must insist on not doing a full turkey, then I insist on cooking those breasts in a cast iron pan. It'll help.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
whar dessert?

make/prep as much as you can ahead of time (like the cranberry salad). Check prep time, cooking time & temps to form a "gameplan" of what order you will need to make things in so you aren't waiting around on one item.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Seems like a lot of sides for only 6 people. I'd probably just pick one type of potato since those will be the most labor intensive sides you're making.

wolverine68

Mar 30, 2007
Urbandale
www.gvc.edu
whar dessert?

make/prep as much as you can ahead of time (like the cranberry salad). Check prep time, cooking time & temps to form a "gameplan" of what order you will need to make things in so you aren't waiting around on one item.

One of my friends has offered to bring a couple of pies, so I'm off the hook for that!

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
serving:

Turkey breasts (not going to do a full turkey, I'm a wimp)
It is easy to season and cook. May still need an hour to cook them depending on size. Rest turkey for at least 10 minutes so the juices settle.

Cranberry salad....... make ahead

Mashed potatoes make that day while turkey is cooking. Try to time it to be mixed with milk and butter just after turkey comes out of the oven. My mom put the hot potatoes in her kitchen aid mixer to mash and stir. She placed a plate over it to keep steam in.

Sweet potatoes...depending on how you are fixing them. I would make them ahead and add marshmallow topping and warm through after turkey is done.

Green bean casserole.... make ahead and warm after turkey comes out.

Oyster stew (it's a family tradition, but I've never made it)......crockpot????

Gravy ????
Stuffing.....make while potatoes are cooking might need to warm in oven......might be able to make ahead.

Dinner rolls (the one thing I might not make from scratch) warm them with the other warming items and dump into a bowl.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Specific on stuffing - sage (regular bread) or something else? I always make cornbread pecan, but I make a small side of sage stuffing for a couple of non-pecan lovers. We usually have around 25 for dinner. My recipes are in my head, though.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
Don't worry about fancy tableware or settings. I would suggest using dishwasher safe items as much as possible. If you have one.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
serving:

Mashed potatoes make that day while turkey is cooking. Try to time it to be mixed with milk and butter just after turkey comes out of the oven. My mom put the hot potatoes in her kitchen aid mixer to mash and stir. She placed a plate over it to keep steam in.

YES!!! People used to laugh at me, but they whip up great like that and I can be making the gravy while they're whipping. :)

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Just buy the cheap heat and serve dinner rolls. One of my nieces eats those things like candy.

On the turkey breast, those are very easy. Just make sure you have it thawed on time as the package states, and follow directions. A small turkey is very easy as well for six people. Go to the Butterball website and follow their instructions if you get daring. Don't believe the TV hype, the full bird is hard to mess up. I always go for one with a pop-up timer. I don't think Butterball's have those, but their website still has good info.

Can't help on cranberry salad, I always make sauce and follow the directions on the cranberry package. It is really easy and can be done the night before.

Green bean casserole, I have a large number so I double the recipe. Again, just follow the directions on the dried onion can. They don't take long, if oven space at a premium and you have done a full bird, you can put those in while the turkey rests before carving.

Mashed potatoes, I have never thought of a recipe I guess. I just add milk, butter, salt and pepper to the cooked boiled potatoes, so not much help there. I like to keep my potato water for making gravy. My family doesn't really enjoy sweet potatoes except me so I don't bother with those.

On the oyster stew, I don't make that on Thanksgiving, I make an oyster dressing which is easy, just the oysters cost so much. I put them in the bottom of a baking dish, crush saltine crackers in a thick layer on top, and then pour the liquid that I would use in oyster stew on top and throw in the oven with the beans until they look about right. The liquid consists of scalded milk, butter, liquid from the oysters, salt, and pepper, and like everything else, I don't ever measure or use a recipe.

I make a sage dressing that I try to mimic my mother's but it never tastes right. Go with a box of Stove Top. My gravy also is hit or miss and no recipe and never as good as Mom's. If you do a breast, many of those have a packet and just follow their directions. If you do a bird, use some of the drippings, some potato water, salt and pepper, and I use cornstarch, some use flour. Again I have no idea on measurements, I don't measure. One trick I use if it doesn't thicken right is just add contents of a dry mix for turkey gravy.

Make sure you have something for them to snack on, cheese and crackers or veggies and dip, and then if your timing is off no one is starving. Good luck and don't fret, I am sure the family will help.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Carver, you don't use milk in your gravy? I use that along with some of the stock from the turkey neck, celery, bay leaves & some other spices that I make to moisten the cornbread dressing. Shake it up with a little bit of flour and add to the hot drippings, lower heat & stir frequently (addt'l info for the non-gravy makers...)

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
My gravy also is hit or miss and no recipe and never as good as Mom's. If you do a breast, many of those have a packet and just follow their directions. If you do a bird, use some of the drippings, some potato water, salt and pepper, and I use cornstarch, some use flour. Again I have no idea on measurements, I don't measure. One trick I use if it doesn't thicken right is just add contents of a dry mix for turkey gravy.

Make sure you have something for them to snack on, cheese and crackers or veggies and dip, and then if your timing is off no one is starving. Good luck and don't fret, I am sure the family will help.[/QUOTE]

My grandmother starts with 1 tablespoon flour and maybe a half cup of liquid then shakes until smooth then adds that to the gray and stirs until dissolved. I always end up using more flour so.....good luck.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
Carver, you don't use milk in your gravy? I use that along with some of the stock from the turkey neck, celery, bay leaves & some other spices that I make to moisten the cornbread dressing. Shake it up with a little bit of flour and add to the hot drippings, lower heat & stir frequently (addt'l info for the non-gravy makers...)
Mobile LIKE! !